AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Updated the transfer tracker. 247 changed their layout so it should be a little easier to keep track going forward. They've also got the first player for 2022 listed (Utah to Northern Iowa), so I'll add a tab once some AAC players start moving.

Not much happening on the transfers in front. Was able to update several unknown players transferring out, mostly heading to community colleges or non D1 programs. There were a couple that landed P5 spots.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:09 am Updated the transfer tracker. 247 changed their layout so it should be a little easier to keep track going forward. They've also got the first player for 2022 listed (Utah to Northern Iowa), so I'll add a tab once some AAC players start moving.

Not much happening on the transfers in front. Was able to update several unknown players transferring out, mostly heading to community colleges or non D1 programs. There were a couple that landed P5 spots.
tulsa DB Akayleb Evans is about to sign with Georgia
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

No transfers in this week, but some clarity around Tulsa players. Akayleb Evans ends up at Mizzou, not UGA. Fellow DB Allie Green was previously listed as headed to Texas Tech but that status has been changed to possibly heading to Missouri also.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Not AAC specific, but this is an interesting tidbit.
Have heard CFB personnel talk about "portal guys transferring back home". Doesn't seem to be the trend for 1133 matriculated or committed prospects this cycle.
69% left home state for past school
72% left home state for transfer school
88% left past school state for transfer
The linked tweet has a chart breaking down P5, G5 and FCS.
https://twitter.com/coachspil/status/14 ... 74371?s=21
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:52 pm Not AAC specific, but this is an interesting tidbit.
Have heard CFB personnel talk about "portal guys transferring back home". Doesn't seem to be the trend for 1133 matriculated or committed prospects this cycle.
Interesting stats here. I wonder how many guys enter the portal expecting to have choices, find out they aren't the hot commodity they thought they would be, and then take whatever offer comes their way. It could be players verbally talk about wanting to go home but that opportunity never comes. We are going to keep learning about this process over the next couple of years. My prediction is that total transfers are way down in three years as recruits realize the grass is often not greener.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 pm
waverider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:52 pm Not AAC specific, but this is an interesting tidbit.
Interesting stats here. I wonder how many guys enter the portal expecting to have choices, find out they aren't the hot commodity they thought they would be, and then take whatever offer comes their way. It could be players verbally talk about wanting to go home but that opportunity never comes. We are going to keep learning about this process over the next couple of years. My prediction is that total transfers are way down in three years as recruits realize the grass is often not greener.
It is going to be interesting to track this. It does seem logical it would tamp down but again we are talking 18-22 year olds. I hope it goes way down but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Tracker updated. Houston and Tulsa landed players from VT and Tennessee respectively. ECU and Memphis had players transfer to FAMU and MTSU respectively.

Things have slowed down quite a bit over the last few weeks, but we are still on track for ~15% transfers out to P5s and ~75% transfers in from P5s.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I think we should take advantage of Louisiana's crop of 4's and a few 5's that went away to P5 schools to recruit them back on this basis: With the new rules about NIL payments, they could come back home and be a big star here, where we are set up to provide them with assistance in marketing. With the new recognition at home, they could maximize their value (income) more here than in a big program with lots of stars. In addition, they could get a Tulane degree which will mean more to them in the future. SMU seems to be doing this already and being successful at it.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

A look out should be kept for that category of player but I'd like to see a rounded effort that would include bird-dogging lower levels that play good football like the Southland Conference. Also, the heavier some programs go into the D-1 transfer market the more opportunities may open up recruiting HS prospects. Yet another area that could yield good results is JUCO recruiting. More qualified kids in the Nick Anderson mold could wind up going JUCO in this new era.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Tracker updated since we had news of a landing spot for Huderson. There were a couple of transfers into the league from P5s and a few transfers out. We are still looking at ~50% of the AAC players in the portal without a landing place at this point.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Athletic ranks top 100 transfers in portal. Interesting and by definition judgmental.

As concerns Tulane and my quick eyeball review, OU and SMU appear particularly helped and Memphis and Tulsa hurt. Tulane not on list coming or going. We'll see.

https://theathletic.com/2565927/2021/07 ... s-of-2021/
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Without reading it, lemme guess the formula:
- if a player who'd contributed at a major P5 left, that hurt the P5.
- If that player landed at a G5, that significantly helped the G5.
- If that player landed at an "elite" P5, that helped that elite P5.
- If a player left a G5 and went to a major P5, that hurt the G5.
- Any other combination of movement between "lower" P5, non-contributing high P5, any G5, and any other division probably didn't move their needle enough to write about.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 am Athletic ranks top 100 transfers in portal. Interesting and by definition judgmental.

As concerns Tulane and my quick eyeball review, OU and SMU appear particularly helped and Memphis and Tulsa hurt. Tulane not on list coming or going. We'll see.

Tulsa didn't lose a ton of players, but the ones they lost were very good. Expectations that their defense will be as good this year are off imo. I also think there's trouble brewing at Memphis. They were gutted by transfers and while they replaced some of those guys with P5 transfers, I'm dubious that they'll just show up and win 8+ again. Temple wasn't good anyway and they, too were hammered by transfers. They might win 2 games this year.

UCF has pulled in some highly regarded transfers so along with SMU I think they'll have reloaded. My questions are around Malzahn's system fit more so than personnel. I think USF and ECU might be poised for improvement if, a big IF, their transfers pan out.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 am Without reading it, lemme guess the formula:
- if a player who'd contributed at a major P5 left, that hurt the P5.
- If that player landed at a G5, that significantly helped the G5.
- If that player landed at an "elite" P5, that helped that elite P5.
- If a player left a G5 and went to a major P5, that hurt the G5.
- Any other combination of movement between "lower" P5, non-contributing high P5, any G5, and any other division probably didn't move their needle enough to write about.
Pete, I haven't read the article in depth, but I will give some credit to 24/7. They've started evaluating transfers from college data as often as possible. So just because a guy was a high 3-star coming out of high school doesn't mean they look at him that way when he transfers, particularly if he was unproductive in a season or two in college. I think that's a step in the right direction when evaluating transfers rather than just looking at P5 to G5 or G5 to P5 as a proxy. My own spreadsheet uses that proxy method which can't tease out all the nuance.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:46 am
Baywave1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 am Athletic ranks top 100 transfers in portal. Interesting and by definition judgmental.

Tulsa didn't lose a ton of players, but the ones they lost were very good. Expectations that their defense will be as good this year are off imo. I also think there's trouble brewing at Memphis. They were gutted by transfers and while they replaced some of those guys with P5 transfers, I'm dubious that they'll just show up and win 8+ again. Temple wasn't good anyway and they, too were hammered by transfers. They might win 2 games this year.

UCF has pulled in some highly regarded transfers so along with SMU I think they'll have reloaded. My questions are around Malzahn's system fit more so than personnel. I think USF and ECU might be poised for improvement if, a big IF, their transfers pan out.
Outlaw, I'm surprised that Tulane is not even mentioned. Porceus alone should merit a discussion. Not to mention the addition of the Utah RB, although that falls into the "one or two years in college without little production" camp. Losing the production of Huderson is a subject, too.

I agree with your assessments of Tulsa, Memphis, UCF and ECU; SMU is a wild card and I don't think USF will be all that different from the last two years. I just don't want Pratt to get injured or have a sophomore slump.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:46 am

Outlaw, I'm surprised that Tulane is not even mentioned. Porceus alone should merit a discussion. Not to mention the addition of the Utah RB, although that falls into the "one or two years in college without little production" camp. Losing the production of Huderson is a subject, too.

I agree with your assessments of Tulsa, Memphis, UCF and ECU; SMU is a wild card and I don't think USF will be all that different from the last two years. I just don't want Pratt to get injured or have a sophomore slump.
I think with Tulane, two things are at play. We didn't take that many transfers in relative to the others I mention. Our transfers were also mostly in one direction. We selectively took in some guys with potential from P5s, mostly. And our guys that transferred mostly have landed at lower levels of football. Our moves are interesting, just not as interesting to national media as, say, McKenzie Milton heading to FSU from UCF while UCF also brings in several high profile SEC transfers.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Updated the tracker as we get closer to the season. Of note, a few more transfers in from power schools and a few transfers out heading to mostly smaller schools. Changes highlighted in blue as always.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

The lone Memphis player to return after opting out last season, Safety, LaAndre Thomas has entered the portal. Started 14 games in 2019.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:53 pm The lone Memphis player to return after opting out last season, Safety, LaAndre Thomas has entered the portal. Started 14 games in 2019.
I am curious to see portal activity in the next week. We're in that little window where two-deeps are issued and players who don't like their depth chart position finally decide they've had enough and look to go elsewhere before fall semester enrollment deadlines. It's nowhere near the end of the year moves but it will be interesting to see. We, of course, got Justin McMillan that way.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Temple QB Re-al Mitchell has entered the portal with two years of eligibility left.
Tulane Greenbackers

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:15 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:53 pm The lone Memphis player to return after opting out last season, Safety, LaAndre Thomas has entered the portal. Started 14 games in 2019.
I am curious to see portal activity in the next week. We're in that little window where two-deeps are issued and players who don't like their depth chart position finally decide they've had enough and look to go elsewhere before fall semester enrollment deadlines. It's nowhere near the end of the year moves but it will be interesting to see. We, of course, got Justin McMillan that way.
It's probably the 4 game rule for redshirting as opposed to enrollment deadlines.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Quarter system folks can still move in 2021. Fall semester window is probably closed for most if not all. Although with online classes now using recorded material and AI maybe 365 real time anytime enrollment is possible?

Regardless NFL players regularly hit the field mid-season in the week they sign. I’m sure someone(s) in college will blaze s trail here.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Houston backup QB Maddox Kopp has entered the portal. Someone on Twitter pointed out that Tulane and Ole Miss were in his top 5 when he signed with Houston.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I don’t want anyone from the portal. We seem to have slightly more success with the kids out of high school. And any of the top players in the portal will never come to Tulane to play. Waste of time.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:46 pm I don’t want anyone from the portal. We seem to have slightly more success with the kids out of high school. And any of the top players in the portal will never come to Tulane to play. Waste of time.
You can't just turn a blind eye to what's become a huge part of college football recruiting. SMU has had great success pulling in guys out of the portal. We'd be silly to completely ignore it just because the options we've gotten so far haven't worked out as well as we'd hoped. Besides, after this debacle of a year, I don't even know if the guys we brought in are no good, or if our coaching is just that poor.