AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

There's been a lot of discussion around the transfer portal, the free transfer year, and NIL, so I thought it would make sense to pull some data on the topic. I came at it from the AAC conference level perspective and compiled the below spreadsheet. Mods, feel free to merge or move; I put it here for visibility and because it certainly encompasses current Tulane players.

Some notes: I used 24/7's tracker as a source. My info is only as good as theirs, which is timestamped today. Jeffery Johnson is still listed as in the portal, but I've counted him as staying put. You'll find him, and other players who entered the portal but ultimately stayed put on the tab marked Transfers Out. There's even one player that transferred to Houston from Missouri, then transferred again to Arkansas from Houston. There's no record of Dorceus leaving Memphis to come to Tulane yet, so he's not listed on my sheet. I think the other transfers we know about are accounted for. On the Transfers In tab, you can see players that are listed as having joined an AAC squad. Please note this sheet is just a count and doesn't take into account the production lost or received by these players.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Some key points:
-Almost twice as many players have transferred out from AAC schools as in
-Well over half of the transfers out have no home as of this post
-Only ~15.5% of transfers leaving the AAC went to a P5
-Conversely, ~78.5% of transfers in came from the P5 ranks

Plenty of conclusions to be drawn about individual teams, as well, but I was surprised about the overall magnitude of the flow between AAC and P5 schools. The number of players without a home in the portal was also higher than I thought.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: AAC Transfer Portal Tracker

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I have not had a chance to look it over (thanks for doing it regardless) but one thought, based on all your caveats, is you might want to hold on and update it in a couple of weeks after every school has finished and graduations are over. It seems there is a current mini-wave of transfer decisions being made since most schools are wrapping up around now. By early June it should be more stable and reliable.

Just a thought. :mrgreen:
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:35 pm I have not had a chance to look it over (thanks for doing it regardless) but one thought, based on all your caveats, is you might want to hold on and update it in a couple of weeks after every school has finished and graduations are over. It seems there is a current mini-wave of transfer decisions being made since most schools are wrapping up around now. By early June it should be more stable and reliable.

Just a thought. :mrgreen:
Yeah its only a snapshot of now for sure. As I am able I plan to update it. There will be new entries and more data on where players end up in the coming months.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Thanks for putting the work into this.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

Thanks much for the work. I will review and study and look forward to updates.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Much appreciated. Looking forward to see what you bring here.
We deserve so much better
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

The number of folks leaving Memphis is hard to believe
Roll Wave Roll!!!
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

This should become a stickie.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Good work outlaw
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

That’s interesting to see. Thanks for putting in the time to compile/ update it.

One additional transfer not included is the Memphis DE to Tulane which will increase Memphis’ already large number of transfers out.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 am That’s interesting to see. Thanks for putting in the time to compile/ update it.

One additional transfer not included is the Memphis DE to Tulane which will increase Memphis’ already large number of transfers out.
Yeah I mentioned that in the short novel that is the first post. Should also mention the portal doesn't seem to capture grad transfers, presumably because they've graduated. I noticed our McNeese St wr isn't listed either but I think that must be why
waverider
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:36 am
waverider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 am That’s interesting to see. Thanks for putting in the time to compile/ update it.

Yeah I mentioned that in the short novel that is the first post. Should also mention the portal doesn't seem to capture grad transfers, presumably because they've graduated. I noticed our McNeese St wr isn't listed either but I think that must be why
I should have read it. I think Dorceus graduated so he won’t show up in there.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

FWIW, which is nothing, USA Today issued an updated Top 25 post-spring because of all the transfers. Oklahoma now #2, Cincinnati #7... And Louisiana Lafayette (that's what they called them) jumped in at #25.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Don't really matter, just curious as to why Memphis has so many transfers? What's going on over there?
MOVING ON UP!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Marathon Wave wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:04 pm Don't really matter, just curious as to why Memphis has so many transfers? What's going on over there?
Purely a guess but maybe all the players who stuck around when they changed coaches were hoping things would keep rolling, and when they didn't last year, they're jumping ship?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Updated things as of this morning. No major changes. Tulsa added a RB from Southern Miss. Some things I didn't highlight in my first post:
  • It looks like Dana's son or some other relative is transferring from Houston. QB Logan Holgorsen is listed in the portal
  • Memphis does have a lot of tansfers in and out. Oddly they took a QB from Austin Peay and had one transfer there AND did a similar swap of OTs with TCU
  • Memphis also got multiple players from TCU and Michigan St. while losing multiple to Nicholls. Were there coaches that left or joined Memphis with connections to those schools?
  • SMU is really working the top of the old SWC/current Big 12. In years past they've pulled in top Texas QBs (Gilbert, Buechele) and this year they've got two well thought of OU transfers in QB Mordecai and TE Calcaterra.
  • In general, SMU is becoming a landing spot for lots of P5 transfers. 10/11 transfers in are from P5s including OU, Georgia, Auburn, and Florida
  • USF has a similarly impressive list of brands on their transfers in. 7/8 so far are from P5s. Given that most of their transfers out don't yet have homes, I think they are emphasizing the portal as a way to retool a bad roster.
  • Folks have pointed out Memphis, but Temple has been absolutely pillaged. Unlike other AAC programs, most of their transfers out have landing spots, with 9/18 transfers headed to P5s. Boston College, Rutgers, and Colorado St. all grabbed multiple transfers. Temple has added several P5 transfers, including QB D'wan Mathis from UGA, but the overall movement of players strikes me as troubling for that program.
Last edited by tulaneoutlaw on Mon May 17, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Pony Expre$$
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:40 am
  • It looks like Dana's son or some other relative is transferring from Houston. QB Logan Holgorsen is listed in the portal
That’s his son.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:42 am Pony Expre$$
Excellent! Any differences between this and a SAO?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:25 am
gerryb323 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:42 am Pony Expre$$
Excellent! Any differences between this and a SAO?
More snow?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:45 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:04 pm Don't really matter, just curious as to why Memphis has so many transfers? What's going on over there?
Purely a guess but maybe all the players who stuck around when they changed coaches were hoping things would keep rolling, and when they didn't last year, they're jumping ship?
Thinking about it, makes sense. Give it a year to see where we go. Leave if not happy.
MOVING ON UP!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Updated this morning. Action at ECU, Tulsa, and UCF; everybody else static. I'm highlighting changes from last week in blue. Probably the biggest get was UCF snagging a former Auburn 4 star CB. ECU also added a Virginia Tech WR.

JJ still listed in the portal. I've still listed him as returning until we hear otherwise.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Updated this morning. Dorceus now shows up on our transfers. JJ still listed as in the portal. Would like to see him moved off that list.

Otherwise, most action happened on the transfer out front. Several guys found homes at the FCS level. Still tons of guys with unknown destinations. ECU lost a DB to Ole Miss. On the transfer in side, other than Dorceus, Tulsa added a WR from Kansas.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

So Tula picked up player from the FCS level. :green wink:
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:55 amJJ still listed as in the portal. Would like to see him moved off that list.
He tweeted his new profile pic today
Tulane Greenbackers