Baseball ranked #25 by Perfect Game (rankings)

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
FW
Cornerstone

Baseball ranked #25 by Perfect Game (rankings)

Post by FW »

'Murica
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Baseball ranked #25 by Perfect Game

Post by Yankeewave »

Note to self, domt trust PG rankings.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

They're definitely not D1 Baseball, or even Baseball America, but it's still nice to be recognized
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Maybe we ride the coattails of the American being good the last few years
noladave
Regent's Circle

Re: Baseball ranked #25 by Perfect Game (rankings)

Post by noladave »

#29 by Collegiate Baseball
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

I told you all to relax when there were approximately 468 innings yet to be played in the regular season.

Now there are approximately 144 innings remaining in the regular season. I still say "relax".

Take it one game and one sacrifice bunt at a time.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The eternal question of judging how good a team is overall vs. "who is hot at the time". Generally answered by the selection committee (at least in basketball but I believe baseball too) as "whichever method allows us an excuse to put in another SEC school over someone else". :xmad:

Anyone looking at "who is hot" can't deny us. But anyone judging overall performance and/or how good we "really are as a team" may think otherwise.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

interesting question on D1 chat
1:33 Floating around Twitter yesterday was the idea that La Tech, Tulane & New Orleans could all make the tourney but not LSU. What are the odds that happens?React
Kendall Rogers
1:33 It's certainly possible. I'm not a fan of Tulane's RPI, but the Green Wave is on a roll and would certainly get in if the season ended today. Same with UNO (leading the SLC) and Louisiana Tech. Just like the other SEC teams, LSU needs to get to 14-15 overall wins, including the conference tourney, to feel OK about getting into the tourney.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Aaron Fitt had this to say after acknowledging that Tulane beat up on a weak Memphis club this past weekend: ..."really liked Tulane's pitching heading into the year, and also that's a quality sweep of a pretty good Wichita State team last weekend. I do think AAC has a shot for two bids, and I'm liking Tulane's chances."

and Kendall Rogers added this in a later question near the end of the chat:
"It would be tough to bet on Tulane not making the postseason with the way it is playing right now. Jewett is a solid coach, and they were off to a terrific start last year. So, it's not that surprising to me that Tulane has figured it out. It had the personnel coming into the season to make some noise in that league."
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

randymc wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:40 pm

and Kendall Rogers added this in a later question near the end of the chat:

Jewett is a solid coach,
Let the gnashing of teeth commence
Bring home da Wave!
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

He is solid, I mean.....sorry
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Ill be happy to change my opinion if we get a bid. We still lost quite a few games we shouldn't have but the goal in our current state is to get a bid, which would also help ensure our Good players dont leave.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

latest post season field from D1 baseball has Tulane in, as one of last 5 in. LSU out as last 5 out.

bubble in/bubble out

all comes down to ECU weekend
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

ECU is the big series (TU would need at least a tie), but if TU goes even or loses this weekend with the Houston series and does the same with the other bad RPI teams, that I believe will kill TU's chances of getting in the NCAA.

Lets win this weekend. :-) or even better sweep. :-D
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We need 11 wins. Get them, in any combination, and we should be ok.

Winning ECU series or splitting with them is gravy. We could do that, mess around with the other teams, win the regular season (because ecu also struggles), and still risk not making the tourney because our rpi is lower
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Here are my observations in looking at where we were to where we are, fwiw.

Pitching — it all starts with keeping the BBs down.
Olthoff has been stellar and Aldrich and Benoit have improved to very good status. I think it’s due to there confidence. Hoffman is also coming on strong.

Relief pitching has been, pleasantly surprisingly, solid.
We still show some limitations but I think Latham is getting to most out of this staff. It’s good to see Keagan become the dominant force he’s capable of. And Slagle and Devito are both getting the job done. We haven’t seen Price in a while, but his numbers are very good.

Overall, top of the hat to Coach Latham who is doing a great job.

Positions:

1B — Aviles is fielding capably and he’s been consistent at the plate with good gap power. He still needs to cut back on strikeouts.

2B — Freshman Engelhard getting comfortable at the position. Room for improvement but I see him getting better. At the plate, he’s doing a fine job, leading the team in home runs.

SS - Burns has blossomed into an outstanding SS. There have been a few plays where I thought it was Alemais out there. He has done well in the lead off spot, giving us some power though the price is more strikeouts than I like to see for a lead off guy.

3B - Bumgardt fielded ok as a sub but it’s good to get Minder back. After a couple of weak throws, he made two really good, hard throws to get out outs late in the Memphis series. Also, it looks like his bat is back.

LF - Laprairie looks comfortable in left. Doing well at getting on base.

CF - Hart doing great as a freshman. Only weakness I see in the field is his throwing arm. But he can improve on that. At the plate, I think he has been hitting better than his BA shows. I’ve seen a lot of well-hit balls. Just to the wrong spot.

RF — Bumgardt looked very comfortable this weekend (Though he may have had one drop - not sure it was him). But he made a couple of nice running catches. Batting, he’s doing a good job.

C - Freshman Lee is tearing the cover off the ball. Keep it up. Defensively there is room for improvement but he is making progress.

- Hastings has played well enough to give Lee a rest occasionally (when this is done, Lee can slide to DH) also, he has two home runs.

DH - Nieman. Hitting well, coming off an injury. I wonder if he will be able to play a position this year. He has played C and 1B in the past.

That’s about it.
Overall, I think we’ve made good progress but every weekend is a new test.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

BC, very nice analysis. I have been very impressed by the young guys and their approach at the plate. Pitching has been good as you said and the decrease in walking batters has been a huge plus. Base running must also continue to improve. But nothing but positives heading into the meat of the schedule.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I am so happy with the reversal of fortune and the solid play of late; hope Minder remains in the lineup which allows Baumgardt to play outfield, where he seems comfortable. Relief pitching has been lights out of late; Houston's starting pitcher Gasser is a stud and a matchup vs. Olthoff will be must-see baseball.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Up to #22 on PG poll. Still not in the top 25 of BA or CB
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I am sure a lot of u people feel the same as I do, but considering what TU has been thru the last few years, Seeing TU ranked in any poll "SURE DOES LOOK GREAT". :-D

Perfect Game: Jumped from 25 To 22. :-D
Collegiate Baseball: Jumped from 29 to 24. :-D
Collegiate Baseball: Braden Olthoff made one of the CB National Players of the week. :-D
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

CletusRelm wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 am I am sure a lot of u people feel the same as I do, but considering what TU has been thru the last few years, Seeing TU ranked in any poll "SURE DOES LOOK GREAT". :-D

Perfect Game: Jumped from 25 To 22. :-D
Collegiate Baseball: Jumped from 29 to 24. :-D
Collegiate Baseball: Braden Olthoff made one of the CB National Players of the week. :-D
Olthoff is the American Conf pitcher of the week.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

As expected, we have fallen out of the top 30 in all polls.

Also noted by Guerry, the other Justin Campbell who’s transcripts weren’t good enough for us, threw a no-hitter this weekend for OSU.
Tulane Greenbackers

StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

:coolshades:
waverider wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:00 pm As expected, we have fallen out of the top 30 in all polls.

Also noted by Guerry, the other Justin Campbell who’s transcripts weren’t good enough for us, threw a no-hitter this weekend for OSU.
And we invited Hunter Biden to speak. We're on a roll.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

StPeteWave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:19 pm :coolshades:
waverider wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:00 pm As expected, we have fallen out of the top 30 in all polls.

:lol:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

StPeteWave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:19 pm :coolshades:

I think he’s teaching a class.
Tulane Greenbackers