One time transfer rule approved

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Re: One time transfer rule approved

Post by Sophandros »

wavedom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 pm In conference I think Cincy, UCF, Memphis and Houston will do better. As to the rest probably no noticeable difference. Believe I hope it turns out much differently for us.
Oh, FFS. Get over yourself and seek out some counseling.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 pm I think it's been shown that most of our conference mates have more money available than us. Tulsa and ECU might be the exceptions. UCF, Memphis, and Houston seem to be swimming in money. Cincinnati isn't necessarily, but they seem to find funding for athletics projects when they need to (they dumped a boatload into their athletics complex in the early 00s and it got them in the Big East, and they've been making upgrades ever since). SMU has money as well (at least it appears that way). I have no idea about Temple and unfortunately TUPF isn't here to fill us in.
We're in a pretty good place financially right now compared to all the rest.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Sophandros wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:50 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 pm I think it's been shown that most of our conference mates have more money available than us. Tulsa and ECU might be the exceptions. UCF, Memphis, and Houston seem to be swimming in money. Cincinnati isn't necessarily, but they seem to find funding for athletics projects when they need to (they dumped a boatload into their athletics complex in the early 00s and it got them in the Big East, and they've been making upgrades ever since). SMU has money as well (at least it appears that way). I have no idea about Temple and unfortunately TUPF isn't here to fill us in.
We're in a pretty good place financially right now compared to all the rest.
Let me know when we have a Fertitta (Houston) or a FedEx (Memphis). We get donations for large capital construction projects (Yulman, Benson, Glazer, Hertz) but those folks aren't throwing money around continuously the way our conference mates' whales are.

I wish Goldring would be that whale. We had the tennis center but tore it down for Yulman. I mean, I buy enough Buffalo Trace products, c'mon man!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Sophandros wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:44 pm
wavedom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm
Sophandros wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm
wavedom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:58 am
Sophandros wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am
wavedom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:00 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 am
wavedom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:42 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 am The idea that students as a whole are paying their own way in a way thats different from athletes is laughable. Most of them get some kind of financial aid whether need based or merit based. So how is a student on an academic full ride to Tulane transferring any different than an athlete on scholarship for their talents transferring? Do we get mad if a future Rhodes scholar transfers from Tulane because the academic fit wasn't right for them? Sure it would be nice for us fans if we could lock players in for four years, but that hardly seems fair to the players.

Transferring is also not risk free. For a student they have to navigate transferring credits which may cost more and keep them in school longer. For athletes they have to weigh whether promises of play time from a new coach and a new set of teammates is worth it relative to their goals.
No comparison. Those students aren't on anywhere near a full scholarship that carries stipends, housing , health care and more.
Nope. I went to school with several students who had full rides including housing and were actually being paid to go to school because they received scholarships above the cost of attendance. Healthcare is a differentiator I guess.

But fine let's go with that. What's your suggestion? How would you propose we keep transfers from happening? Or is this just venting for you?
No comparison. We are talking hundreds of athletes on full rides versus a couple of your friends. See the millions across this country with crushing student debt loans. The solution is going back to the hard and fast rule that if you transfer you sit out a year.
I'm not convinced that the one year of sitting out has had an impact on the number of transfers. You still have to have a roster spot on the school you want to transfer to, and in a sport like football you still have to learn a new system, playbook, and gel with a new team. From a coach's perspective, upending your roster like that isn't conducive to long-term success.

I think we should, at the very least, wait and see what happens before we start with the doom and gloom proclamations.
Sitting out a year did for a very long time cut back on transfers.It's only recently that they have started giving out waivers like candy and there has been a noticeable uptick. This latest rule change will open the flood gates.

It's a fan forum where we discuss our program. I know a lot of Tulanians live in a what they believe is a perfect world. That doesn't exist and in the long run it's realistic to expect this to be detrimental to Tulane athletics. Say Pratt continues to develop and Spears proves he really is back. We finish the season and everyone is excited and talking about how in 2022 we have a legit chance to win the conference and nab the NY6 Bowl. Then Pratt and Spears transfer to a P5. We go from looking at selling a bunch of season tickets and having nice sized crowds to everyone saying why bother and the stadium stays empty. I certainly hope that doesn't happen but realistically it could well happen.
I think you overstate our level of exposure, and you're forgetting about other pieces of legislation which may put Tulane in a better position to recruit and retain athletes, such as NLI and expanded financial benefits for student-athletes.

Again, as I said, let's wait and see what happens before we start with the doom and gloom proclamations. Let's base our analyses on data rather than fear.
Again we are discussing the issue because that's what you do on fan forums. NLI is just one more detriment to our program. We don't have the number of big money people with a a great interest in our program to match up with the big boys. It's just one more thing in their favor.
We have an NFL market with alumni and donors from three NFL teams and a Premier League team. We have the movie industry. We have an international alumni base with CEOs from all over the world.

But keep boxing yourself in by thinking small.
Keep boxing yourself in unrealistic thinking. It's well known that those NFL players don't usually come back as big donors. The big problem is that you just like AD's and coaches that accept jobs here is that they think they are coming into a situation with a lot of big money people who are invested in the program. Then they get here and find out that is simply not true.
There was an extra 9 in that percentage
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Sophandros wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 pm
wavedom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 pm In conference I think Cincy, UCF, Memphis and Houston will do better. As to the rest probably no noticeable difference. Believe I hope it turns out much differently for us.
Oh, FFS. Get over yourself and seek out some counseling.
Get real. You and others like you need counseling. Have you not noticed the athletic failures over the 72 years since Tulane declared de-emphasis. Toughen up and deal with the reality that all those brilliant Tulanians who thought they were so much smarter and better than others were just plain stupid.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I don't think we need a cadre of big money donors to make an impact. Elite players are paid under the table right now, but the number of folks getting 6 figures in cash like Cam Newton is small. The people handing out money are business oriented; handing out that kind of money to 18 yos regularly is an unsustainable bad investment. They are also not paying every recruit, even at the slimiest program.

Instead what happens a lot of the time is $5k to a key recruit to tip the scales or alternative compensation that is really hard to track. If you dig there are all sorts of stories of unemployed uncles getting jobs, grandmothers getting the mortgage paid off a few months out of the year, and parents' businesses mysteriously receiving bumps in patronage and revenue. These aren't one time massive payments from whale type donors, but smaller payments that impact the people the player cares about.

If I am Tulane and thinking of how to leverage this, I'm thinking creatively about how to recruit as many business folks around the city to do the above things within the new NIL rules. It will not help us catch Alabama or LSU. They are recruiting ahead of us now and will continue to do so NIL or not. But if we get aggressive it might boost us above our conference mates and I definitely think we could catch some lower level P5s flat footed. Eventually everyone will adapt, but I see hope for an early window where we make some noise. Maybe, just maybe that timing coincides with a bit more realignment that gets us to P5 status and then the calculus really changes. A super longshot, but we are already a historical bottomfeeder so we might as well take it.

Honestly, I hope we become known as Get Paid U where it is known we get maximum value for all our players from the quarterback to the long snapper. If we pulled that off I know the wins would follow.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Exactly. When I mentioned that we have an NFL franchise in town, wavedom mistook that for "hey, we have NFL alumni". That's not what I'm talking about. We already have a working relationship with the Saints, and there is potential for co-branding and other collaboration under the new NIL and other new legislation.

While it's not as big as it once was, but can certainly get bigger due to recent events, there is the film and TV industry in NOLA. That is another opportunity for student-athletes to earn money from NIL or through other talents that previously wasn't permissable.
adwave
Crest Level

Post by adwave »

Remember not only Micah O but also Dini and Barkett from Miami. Those transfers were due to RJ relationship to Miami coach who had no room to play them and suggested TU out of conference where they could play. Win win win if you are thoughtful and build relationships.

TU has potential in so many assets for 4 and 5 year football who are still great back ups who want Tulane degree, New Orleans, warm weather and playing time to show pros or end careers happy.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

speaking of getting a working relationship with the Saints, hoe about you tell a recruit to come to Tulane and when you are finished your college career, we promise a FA tryout with the Saints if you aren't drafted? Also, have Drew Brees and other retied players come to camp and work with theri respective position players.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:58 am I don't think we need a cadre of big money donors to make an impact. Elite players are paid under the table right now, but the number of folks getting 6 figures in cash like Cam Newton is small. The people handing out money are business oriented; handing out that kind of money to 18 yos regularly is an unsustainable bad investment. They are also not paying every recruit, even at the slimiest program.

Instead what happens a lot of the time is $5k to a key recruit to tip the scales or alternative compensation that is really hard to track. If you dig there are all sorts of stories of unemployed uncles getting jobs, grandmothers getting the mortgage paid off a few months out of the year, and parents' businesses mysteriously receiving bumps in patronage and revenue. These aren't one time massive payments from whale type donors, but smaller payments that impact the people the player cares about.

If I am Tulane and thinking of how to leverage this, I'm thinking creatively about how to recruit as many business folks around the city to do the above things within the new NIL rules. It will not help us catch Alabama or LSU. They are recruiting ahead of us now and will continue to do so NIL or not. But if we get aggressive it might boost us above our conference mates and I definitely think we could catch some lower level P5s flat footed. Eventually everyone will adapt, but I see hope for an early window where we make some noise. Maybe, just maybe that timing coincides with a bit more realignment that gets us to P5 status and then the calculus really changes. A super longshot, but we are already a historical bottomfeeder so we might as well take it.

Honestly, I hope we become known as Get Paid U where it is known we get maximum value for all our players from the quarterback to the long snapper. If we pulled that off I know the wins would follow.
I am seriously asking where you think those business people are going to come from? Not theoretical but the actual ones. Please name them. Don't you think every Tulane AD has reached out to try and draw them in? I do. The response has not been there. Tulane allowed this to become LSU country. Business people are in it to make money. They aren't goin to do something that they think will hurt their business. As I posted above AD's and coaches come here thinking there are going to be all these big money people that they'll be able to tap into. Then they find out the reality is that Tulane has not produced a lot of true big money people and the few they have usually don't have any interest in sports.

As to suggestions by others that the NFL team is going to step in for us we got what we got from them and they aren't going to just give us more out the goodness of their hearts for NIL. The movie industry is going to grab LSU players not Tulane players . As for all these supposed CEO's where the hell have they been. Who are they? Let's see that very long list. It's easy to generalize and make it sound so simple but Tulane has hired AD after AD whose main job was to raise money yet the returns have been paltry.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I didn't say it would be easy. I did say the odds were long. Nevertheless that's the task at hand unless somebody can find a way to put the genie in the bottle.

I will say again, we are already far behind LSU so that's really not the goal. I will also say again that big money isn't really the ttarget. Small and midsized businesses can make an impact too
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:29 amI am seriously asking where you think those business people are going to come from? Not theoretical but the actual ones. Please name them. Don't you think every Tulane AD has reached out to try and draw them in? I do. The response has not been there. Tulane allowed this to become LSU country. Business people are in it to make money. They aren't goin to do something that they think will hurt their business. As I posted above AD's and coaches come here thinking there are going to be all these big money people that they'll be able to tap into. Then they find out the reality is that Tulane has not produced a lot of true big money people and the few they have usually don't have any interest in sports.

As to suggestions by others that the NFL team is going to step in for us we got what we got from them and they aren't going to just give us more out the goodness of their hearts for NIL. The movie industry is going to grab LSU players not Tulane players . As for all these supposed CEO's where the hell have they been. Who are they? Let's see that very long list. It's easy to generalize and make it sound so simple but Tulane has hired AD after AD whose main job was to raise money yet the returns have been paltry.
As they used to say, "+1"
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Is TUPF ok?
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Is TUPF alright?
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Saw this on the other board -

Due to Tulane’s air-tight admissions office and sky-high test score qualifications, Campbell could no longer attend the school he signed to. He had to find a different home.

Campbell was speechless.

Since arriving in Stillwater, Campbell has shined. His 2020 season was off to a hot start, with his last outing being an eight-inning shutout performance against BYU, and he hit .414 in the 10 games he was in the lineup. COVID-19 cut his freshman season short, but Campbell has been dominant so far in 2021.

Through seven outings, Campbell is 4-0 with 1.15 ERA and 56 strikeouts.

Maybe Campbell will transfer back.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:45 pm Saw this on the other board -

Due to Tulane’s air-tight admissions office and sky-high test score qualifications, Campbell could no longer attend the school he signed to. He had to find a different home.

Campbell was speechless.

Since arriving in Stillwater, Campbell has shined. His 2020 season was off to a hot start, with his last outing being an eight-inning shutout performance against BYU, and he hit .414 in the 10 games he was in the lineup. COVID-19 cut his freshman season short, but Campbell has been dominant so far in 2021.

Through seven outings, Campbell is 4-0 with 1.15 ERA and 56 strikeouts.

Maybe Campbell will transfer back.
So let's see. We have more JC's and other transfers than at anytime in our history but we have airtight admissions. Just another lazy writer who has no clue. There is more to it than that. We don't want an LSU problem.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Please be more specific because LSU has a multitude of issues.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 am Please be more specific because LSU has a multitude of issues.
We don't pay our players?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

That is true. However, by all accounts this young man still wanted to come to Tulane. What really happened?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:37 pm Is TUPF alright?
All I know is he said "it wasn't fun anymore". I sent him a PM asking for him to at least check in once in a while, or at least PM me back with contact info or something, but he has not responded, so I guess he quit cold turkey. Maybe he'll check back in come football season. To be honest, if you are not a college baseball fan there's pretty much a dead period here between March and August where you don't really miss much, so maybe he will come back.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

It is funny when you think you know someone and you really don’t know them at all. As much as TUPF posted, and the passion with which he spoke, I thought that this was a guy talking daily with his friends. I wish the best for him. And Pete, baseball is not the only thing going on. 2022 football recruiting is in full swing. A lot of schools have half their class filled. I understand what you are saying, but things have definitely changed. And TUPF loved baseball to boot.