AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Post Reply
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by visualmagic »

ECU 8-0
Wichita State 7-1
Tulane 3-1
UCF 4-4
USF 2-2
Cincinnati 2-6
Houston 1-7
Memphis 1-7

Wichita State outscored Houston 40-6 this weekend
tjtlja
President's Circle
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by tjtlja »

Houston baseball as a whole is in shambles. Houston’s current RPI is 181. Rice checks in at 239. How can you not win in Houston? There are 100’s of D1 players in this area. Todd Whitting will be fired unless they go on an unbelievable run.
User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 24443
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by waverider »

We face Wichita St this coming weekend and it won’t be easy, but it must be noted, their 7 conference wins are against the aforementioned hapless Cougars.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
User avatar
FW
Cornerstone
Posts: 31571
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by FW »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm Houston baseball as a whole is in shambles. Houston’s current RPI is 181. Rice checks in at 239. How can you not win in Houston? There are 100’s of D1 players in this area. Todd Whitting will be fired unless they go on an unbelievable run.
Miami is 17-11 and FIU is 12-19. How can you not win in Miami? There are 1000s of D1 players in the area.
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4680
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by Rotorooter »

FW wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:02 am
tjtlja wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm Houston baseball as a whole is in shambles. Houston’s current RPI is 181. Rice checks in at 239. How can you not win in Houston? There are 100’s of D1 players in this area. Todd Whitting will be fired unless they go on an unbelievable run.
Miami is 17-11 and FIU is 12-19. How can you not win in Miami? There are 1000s of D1 players in the area.
Agreed. I have the same about UGA and GTech. One of the best teen baseball programs in the country with hundreds of players, many of whom get drafted before and after college. They have the added benefit (over Miami) of the Hope Scholarship for in-state free tuition, then use the 11.7 to go out of state to get the elite talent and fill their rosters. Yet they don't win at a high level.
Plan your work, work your plan.
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by visualmagic »

Miami and UGA look to be clear NCAA Tournament teams if the season ends today. Fair to expect more but far better than what’s going on with Houston and Rice
tjtlja
President's Circle
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by tjtlja »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am
FW wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:02 am
tjtlja wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm Houston baseball as a whole is in shambles. Houston’s current RPI is 181. Rice checks in at 239. How can you not win in Houston? There are 100’s of D1 players in this area. Todd Whitting will be fired unless they go on an unbelievable run.
Miami is 17-11 and FIU is 12-19. How can you not win in Miami? There are 1000s of D1 players in the area.
Agreed. I have the same about UGA and GTech. One of the best teen baseball programs in the country with hundreds of players, many of whom get drafted before and after college. They have the added benefit (over Miami) of the Hope Scholarship for in-state free tuition, then use the 11.7 to go out of state to get the elite talent and fill their rosters. Yet they don't win at a high level.
Both of you are right. But Roto, don’t write Georgia off just yet. Beat Vandy 2 out of 3 this past weekend in Nashville and had a real shot to sweep. Interesting to see how they progress going forward.
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by visualmagic »

Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8037
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
tjtlja
President's Circle
Posts: 4898
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by tjtlja »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
Gerry, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Something is going on in that program. At least it gives ECU an opportunity to schedule another opponent if all the stars are aligned.
User avatar
FW
Cornerstone
Posts: 31571
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by FW »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm Miami and UGA look to be clear NCAA Tournament teams if the season ends today. Fair to expect more but far better than what’s going on with Houston and Rice
Miami is a 3 seed right now. Miami missed the tournament in Jim Morris' last 2 years as coach, after going 40-something years in a row. Miami has fallen off big time from the 90s and early 2000s. and so has FIU. But, Miami was a much better program than Houston and a better program than Rice, so you can still compare their falls proportionally.
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 25083
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
They might legitimately have COVID issues but they might have gotten them because their players said "scr*w this" and went out partying on the coast with spring breakers last week.
User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 24443
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
They might legitimately have COVID issues but they might have gotten them because their players said "scr*w this" and went out partying on the coast with spring breakers last week.
I thought Houston teams only quit after losing to Tulane :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6815
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by GretnaGrn »

tjtlja wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
Gerry, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Something is going on in that program. At least it gives ECU an opportunity to schedule another opponent if all the stars are aligned.
Conference won't allow it. No OOC games once conference starts. That's why we have no midweeks.
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by visualmagic »

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 am
tjtlja wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
Gerry, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Something is going on in that program. At least it gives ECU an opportunity to schedule another opponent if all the stars are aligned.
Conference won't allow it. No OOC games once conference starts. That's why we have no midweeks.
ECU-Houston series is back on but I bet if they had gotten word this early that Houston couldn’t play, the conference would have let ECU try to find a series.
User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6815
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by GretnaGrn »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 am
GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 am
tjtlja wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
Gerry, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Something is going on in that program. At least it gives ECU an opportunity to schedule another opponent if all the stars are aligned.
Conference won't allow it. No OOC games once conference starts. That's why we have no midweeks.
ECU-Houston series is back on but I bet if they had gotten word this early that Houston couldn’t play, the conference would have let ECU try to find a series.
If so, it would be a complete reversal of everything they've said to date. Such reversals happen, of course, and would be more likely if ECU found an opponent who would boost their tournament resume, but so far the AAC has been firm that it's a conference bubble.
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by visualmagic »

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:32 pm
visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 am
GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 am
tjtlja wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm Houston Having COVID issues, their weekend series with ECU May be off
"Having COVID issues" right before ECU. Sure.

Best for all involved probably though
Gerry, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Something is going on in that program. At least it gives ECU an opportunity to schedule another opponent if all the stars are aligned.
Conference won't allow it. No OOC games once conference starts. That's why we have no midweeks.
ECU-Houston series is back on but I bet if they had gotten word this early that Houston couldn’t play, the conference would have let ECU try to find a series.
If so, it would be a complete reversal of everything they've said to date. Such reversals happen, of course, and would be more likely if ECU found an opponent who would boost their tournament resume, but so far the AAC has been firm that it's a conference bubble.
I’m aware that it would go against what they’ve said. We’ve seen plenty of such reversals from multiple conferences in this COVID year from football and basketball
User avatar
noladave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8359
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:50 am
Location: new orleans, la
Contact:

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by noladave »

Houston ECU postponed due to contact tracing
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by visualmagic »

noladave wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 pm Houston ECU postponed due to contact tracing
Strange. Monday they knew that there were potential issues. Wednesday it looked like all was clear and now Thursday night, after ECU has already traveled to Houston, the series is off.
User avatar
noladave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8359
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:50 am
Location: new orleans, la
Contact:

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by noladave »

something isn’t working right in the covid communications.. 2nd weekend in a row a series is cancelled AFTER the visiting team arrives
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8037
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: AAC Baseball standings after week 2 of conference play

Post by gerryb323 »

noladave wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 pm Houston ECU postponed due to contact tracing
Shocked. Can't believe this happened. :roll:
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
Post Reply