Baseball vs Memphis starts today

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Baseball vs Memphis starts today

Unread post by waverider »

Reminder that game 1 is today. Hoffman to start for Tulane.

On the Big Jew show this week he said beating JSU was a good way to finish “spring training” and that we won’t see as much shuffling of the line up as they have a better idea of what guys will play the most. So to speak.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Baseball vs Memphis starts today

Unread post by NJwave »

waverider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 pm Reminder that game 1 is today. Hoffman to start for Tulane.

On the Big Jew show this week he said beating JSU was a good way to finish “spring training” and that we won’t see as much shuffling of the line up as they have a better idea of what guys will play the most. So to speak.
These quotes are infuriating. I don’t think the tournament committee will take the position that these games don’t count. We have to win the conference tournament to get to a regional because of our performance in “Spring Training.”
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

NJwave wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:55 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:37 pm Reminder that game 1 is today. Hoffman to start for Tulane.

These quotes are infuriating. I don’t think the tournament committee will take the position that these games don’t count. We have to win the conference tournament to get to a regional because of our performance in “Spring Training.”
I don't think even Jewett believes this, deep down. I think he's (crudely) trying to spin the poor results. I fully expect to lose at least three this weekend; I'm curious what the excuse will be.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

He also said they're trying to figure out how to get Bennett Lee's bat in the game when he's not catching even to the point of him shagging some flies. He can't do much worse than some of our recent efforts!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 pm

He also said they're trying to figure out how to get Bennett Lee's bat in the game when he's not catching even to the point of him shagging some flies. He can't do much worse than some of our recent efforts!
I did catch that part too. I would think he could just DH. Not like Niemann’s been setting the world on fire and he does start hitting well, he is also a catcher.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:38 pm

I did catch that part too. I would think he could just DH. Not like Niemann’s been setting the world on fire and he does start hitting well, he is also a catcher.
I think Niemann's catching days are limited. He said Hastings would catch when Lee wasn't. I'd imagine Lee Could also try first
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:38 pm

I think Niemann's catching days are limited. He said Hastings would catch when Lee wasn't. I'd imagine Lee Could also try first
That’s my assumption as well. If Niemann could catch I believe we would have seen him do it when Lee was hurt.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Niemann has an injured shoulder.
We deserve so much better
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Everytime he says this he needs to be reminded that he should not get any credit for the bright spot that was the start of the 2020 season.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
visualmagic
President's Circle

Someone pull the plug
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 pm Someone pull the plug
So to speak
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

For Those of you that didn’t watch(consider yourselves lucky) Lane Thomas With his 3 innings pitched was called on to pitch in the 7th inning of a tie game. He Failed to record an out and we lost
Nolawave90
Head Trainer

Unread post by Nolawave90 »

Well I look at it this way

Tonight:
RPI-116
Conference 0-1
Overall: 11-13

After this weekend series:
RPI: 140
Conference: 0-4
Overall: 11-16

The season is over for Tulane fire TJ and let’s move on! This is not Tulane baseball and unacceptable! We can’t hit, pitch, or field.
Last edited by Nolawave90 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:13 pm For Those of you that didn’t watch(consider yourselves lucky) Lane Thomas With his 3 innings pitched was called on to pitch in the 7th inning of a tie game. He Failed to record an out and we lost
But, it’s important to state that we had given up 3 runs prior to his entrance and only managed 3 runs the entire game.
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

He has no clue how he wants to use his pitchers. First guy he uses out of the pen in a tie game hasn’t pitched much at all. Hits the first guy and then gives up a single. That was the game as we could not touch their really good reliever.

He needs to stop worrying about the rest of the weekend and win the game we are playing. Our bullpen is mostly in tact but now we have to win three in a row for it to be a successful weekend.
visualmagic
President's Circle

waverider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:17 pm
visualmagic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:13 pm For Those of you that didn’t watch(consider yourselves lucky) Lane Thomas With his 3 innings pitched was called on to pitch in the 7th inning of a tie game. He Failed to record an out and we lost
But, it’s important to state that we had given up 3 runs prior to his entrance and only managed 3 runs the entire game.
It’s All important. I just had to point out this completely irrational use of his pitching staff.
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:17 pm
It’s All important. I just had to point out this completely irrational use of his pitching staff.
I’m with you all the way, but in all fairness, is there really anyone that you would consider to be reliable? I know your answer will likely be Slagle, but I don’t find him anymore reliable than the others.

Gillies actually did a pretty good job tonight.
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

Slagel Was likely unavailable due to how much he pitched on Tuesday. Whether or not you find Slagel more reliable than the others, he is. He’s not incredible but just go look at his numbers. 17 innings only 12 hits and 4 BB’s. That’s better than almost all of our other relievers.

I’d Have preferred Gillies in that role too. He’s pitched better lately. He Did a good job against Louisiana Tech and on Tuesday. I’m not sure why Bates isn’t used more 10 K’s in 5 innings. Robert Price has done a satisfactory job when called upon. Saving Devito for the rare occasion when we have a lead in the 9th inning is not a workable strategy for us this year. Sometimes you have to bring your closer in for the 7th inning.

As You pointed out though, it probably doesn’t matter. We’re so bad at everything else that it doesn’t even matter if the coach puts the right guys in the lineup. It still annoys me
Last edited by visualmagic on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Keagan did pitch well. Certainly a bright spot. Unfortunately, another loss and this one came in the “real season”.

Same old story -

1. Late inning pitching change. Throw a young man that has barely pitched. He may turn out to be terrific, but the move is not explainable. Using Slagel for 2.2 innings on Tuesday night against Jackson State in a meaningless pre-season game was a terrible mistake. We could have used Keagan, Bates, Johnson, or Campbell in that situation. Just crazy.
2. We get four hits in one inning and score one run. Poor base running. Poor execution.
3. Two errors which had an impact on the game
4. Three walks and two batters hit which impacted the game.

All of this adds up to a loss. On top of this, our next two starters have already thrown a tremendous amount of pitches. Very curious to see how they hold up against a very poor offense team in Memphis. Bottom line, we don’t have a very high baseball IQ on the field and in the dugout. This leads to a losing record. There is no doubt Rick Jones with this roster and him being at the top of his game, we would have anywhere from 5-8 losses at this point. We are not fundamentally sound in any phase of the game. This is so disappointing to see in a sport we have had great success.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

At 5:40 of the TJ introductory press conference, our AD, the departure of whom would cause a cataclysm, says that what impressed him most about TJ when talking to Tim Corbin, is that in neither of the conversations did Corbin talk about baseball.
Dare I suggest that on the next search, TD ask about baseball when checking references.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-3vftZuYs
visualmagic
President's Circle

GSx wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:40 pm At 5:40 of the TJ introductory press conference, our AD, the departure of whom would cause a cataclysm, says that what impressed him most about TJ when talking to Tim Corbin, is that in neither of the conversations did Corbin talk about baseball.
Dare I suggest that on the next search, TD ask about baseball when checking references.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-3vftZuYs
:laugh:

Great Find. Who were the 5 finalists in 17? Jewett, Checketts, Cannizaro, Riser and who else?
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

Add to all of the above, our offensive strategy, if any, continues to fail at critical points in the game. Last night with runners at 1st & 3rd, one out, and a hitter who was 0-3 at bat, we fail to even try to lay down a bunt and commit the cardinal sin...hitting into a DP. I believe TJ was coaching 3rd base and responsible for feeding the hitters their signals. So what happened? If we try to safety squeeze and fail we most probably still have 2 runners on and our #4 hitter coming to bat. Is this a case of ignoring the odds or not knowing the players and their tendencies? At any rate that was our last opportunity to score in the game when we needed just one run to tie it at 4. Seems like such a little thing but in reality this is what separates winners from losers. IMHO game management is questionable.
waverider
Cornerstone

Tulane wins game two 7-1.

5:30cst for game 3. Don’t know who is starting for us.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Wave played well. Let’s get #2. Presume Olthoff is throwing this game. Should be another blowout.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:54 pm Wave played well. Let’s get #2. Presume Olthoff is throwing this game. Should be another blowout.
Olthoff is being held out for the entire weekend, because his arm needs more rest.