Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by WaveProf »

visualmagic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:11 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am

I was being more facetious than anything, but, seriously? Was Self like "hey, that UNC job is looking pretty good right now..."???
Possibly. They lost Roy Williams to UNC due to sanctions and a new AD
Maybe, but the buyout is 6M if he takes an NBA job and, best I can tell from a google search, nonexistent if he retires or leaves for another college job.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

By anyone's standards, even Will Wade's, it's a strong @ss offer.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Especially for a guy that did the same thing Wade did. Kansas has institutional issues with the NCAA and they give this guy a lifetime extension. Basically telling the NCAA F off, you can’t touch our basketball program. Or, Kansas is biggest jackazz athletic department since smu.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

smart money seems to be on Goff as new KU athletics director this a.m. not yet announced though.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Is Vegas taking bets??
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I am; I'll take the field for $100
murphwave
Coach Level

Post by murphwave »

Let’s bring Kevin White back - I believe he made both the Perry Clark and Tommy Bowden hires ? https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... t-13-years
BS '99
MBA 2007
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

murphwave wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:28 pm Let’s bring Kevin White back - I believe he made both the Perry Clark and Tommy Bowden hires ? https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... t-13-years
He didn't make either. He did hire RJ.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

With all the retirements going on these days, one has to wonder whether people see the NCAA hammer coming from all the recruiting scandals and are getting out ahead of the news.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

White has been at Duke 13 years? Had no idea.
Bring home da Wave!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Kevin White is a great AD. He had the strongest staff of any Tulane exec I can recall. He knew how to hire outstanding aides. I take this at face value. He is retiring.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:21 pm With all the retirements going on these days, one has to wonder whether people see the NCAA hammer coming from all the recruiting scandals and are getting out ahead of the news.
I think the NCAA is a meaningless organization. The P5’s hold all the power and schools are doing whatever they want. Look no further that Wade & Self. The retirements are a result of the ever changing landscape of recruiting and the eventual payment of players. In the next 5-10 years, we won’t even recognize college athletics. I just hope Tulane is a part of it at the highest level of competition.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

https://t.co/JqcMtMxt1f
FootballScoop says TD has withdrawn from consideration but Fritz is still at the forefront of the Kansas football coaching search.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Here's to praying that Monken gets the job. I would really hate to see Fritz leave, especially at this late date. As for Dannen, he better be prepared to pull a quick trigger. Hall coming back would be a real possibility and keeping the current staff in place. It will be interesting to watch.

This article basically gives Self saintly status. What BS. The people in Illinois hate the guy, and not because he left for KU. I have heard multiple people tell me he is "dirty," on a Pitino-like scale. So he gets a lifetime contract. Yuck.

Be careful what you ask for, Willie.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 amHall coming back would be a real possibility and keeping the current staff in place. It will be interesting to watch.
That would be an interesting situation, wouldn't it? Fritz leaves, we steal Hall back from USM, and everyone else on our staff stays in the same spot, with Hall's buddy Long as his OC. It would almost be too easy. It would then be interesting to see if any other defectors who went to USM wanted to come back.

Whether or not Hall is ready to succeed as head coach at Tulane, I don't know though (who knows whether he will even do well at USM). Regardless, it's never that easy, and I suspect TD would still want to call his list of candidates before making a move like that.

Of course this is all just meaningless conjecture. I personally don't think Fritz is actively trying to get another job - I think his agent is just looking for the most money for his client and since this is a job near home for Fritz, Fritz is willing to at least listen. Doesn't mean he won't leave if the job is offered - he likely would - but I don't think there's anything "damning" of Fritz (like, we should be angry that he'd do it) for taking the interview.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am
Rotorooter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 amHall coming back would be a real possibility and keeping the current staff in place. It will be interesting to watch.
That would be an interesting situation, wouldn't it? Fritz leaves, we steal Hall back from USM, and everyone else on our staff stays in the same spot, with Hall's buddy Long as his OC. It would almost be too easy. It would then be interesting to see if any other defectors who went to USM wanted to come back.

Whether or not Hall is ready to succeed as head coach at Tulane, I don't know though (who knows whether he will even do well at USM). Regardless, it's never that easy, and I suspect TD would still want to call his list of candidates before making a move like that.

Of course this is all just meaningless conjecture. I personally don't think Fritz is actively trying to get another job - I think his agent is just looking for the most money for his client and since this is a job near home for Fritz, Fritz is willing to at least listen. Doesn't mean he won't leave if the job is offered - he likely would - but I don't think there's anything "damning" of Fritz (like, we should be angry that he'd do it) for taking the interview.
I totally agree with all of this, Pete, especially the conjecture part. I would still be surprised if he took the KU job, even with all of this talk. At 50, 55, yes. 61? Just don't see it. The money difference is not enough to justify the job security. At least at Miles' money. Pay him $5M, he'd be a fool not to go. But I don't think that will happen. We'll see.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's pretty interesting that Kansas is still talking coaching names without an AD in place. You'd think they would try and get the AD lined up first before really pushing one set of candidates over the others. Then again, Kansas isn't known for their functional athletic department these days.

I don't think Hall would dump USM for Tulane just months after taking that job. I would expect TD to have a list and to go through it but I'd be really surprised if Hall ended up being the guy. IF Kansas does lure Fritz, we should pull at least one name from their list as a call. Lance Leipold is a really good coach and if there's an opening we could do far worse than managing to land him.

But I think we end up with Fritz as our coach still.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I don't want to lose Fritz but the exploding heads in Hattiesburg if we took Hall back would almost be worth it!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Hall, Hall, Hall
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Nothing against Hall but I don’t remember y’all liking him this much when he was here.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:33 pm Nothing against Hall but I don’t remember y’all liking him this much when he was here.
I rather enjoyed his leaving. Except for the part where he took the QB who was afraid to compete with Pratt. I would just enjoy the reaction of the USM fans
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:05 pm It's pretty interesting that Kansas is still talking coaching names without an AD in place. You'd think they would try and get the AD lined up first before really pushing one set of candidates over the others. Then again, Kansas isn't known for their functional athletic department these days.

I don't think Hall would dump USM for Tulane just months after taking that job. I would expect TD to have a list and to go through it but I'd be really surprised if Hall ended up being the guy. IF Kansas does lure Fritz, we should pull at least one name from their list as a call. Lance Leipold is a really good coach and if there's an opening we could do far worse than managing to land him.

But I think we end up with Fritz as our coach still.
Didn't Diaz do it to Temple to take the Miami job?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:12 pmDidn't Diaz do it to Temple to take the Miami job?
Yup. And Texas's new basketball coach, Chris Beard, did it to UNLV; took the job at UNLV in March and about a month later jumped to Texas Tech without having barely set anything up on Vegas. There are other examples too.

Again, all silly springtime thoughts. It's unlikely Fritz ends up at Kansas and if he does, it's unlikely Hall even gets a call from Dannen.

But I agree with the folks above, the reaction from Hattiesburgers would be a-maz-ing. :lol:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

I saw online somewhere that the reason for Self's "lifetime contract" was it allowed Kansas to spread out a $7+MM bonus payment that was about to be due. So, in exchange for allowing them to manage cash flow a little easier, he gets out from the NCAA troubles.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yeah, it's been done. But it's very much the exception and not the rule. You also have to consider fit and resources. Temple to Miami for football purposes when your family have deep roots in Miami is one thing. UNLV to Texas Tech, where you can tap into P5 football money to increase your salary drastically is another. In Will Hall's case, he is MS born and bred and if Ole Miss or LSU came calling, sure he might jump. Being realistic I don't think Tulane can offer him enough in this hypothetical to outweigh ticking off a lot of people in his home state.