Baseball loses game 2 vs Grand Canyon 8-7

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Baseball loses game 2 vs Grand Canyon 8-7

Unread post by visualmagic »

E5 in top 9 with 2 outs allowed the winning run to score

10-11 with 2 games remaining in the OOC slate

Not good
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Baseball loses game 2 vs Grand Canyon 8-7

Unread post by waverider »

Are they sneaky good or are we openly bad? (I know the answer)
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The losses get posted quicker than the wins.

Some positives from the first two games is clearly the hitting. And Benoit was electric striking out 8 in 3 innings of work. Gave up
4 hits, but this is a game to build on. Hoffman was very good last night. Those arms will be key heading into conference. Also, the bullpen as a whole has been better.

The negative have been the starters. Those two kids have thrown a lot of pitches. They need rest. And the defense needs to be flawless. We cannot give up extra outs.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

dropped fly in right; two hit batters; E6; so many little missteps that add up to another loss; TU now 2-7 in one- and two-run games.
Benoit; Slagel pitched better than they have in recent past. But another game Wave coulda, shoulda won.
On a side note, 1B ump Christopher Symons turned in the worst umpiring performance I have seen in years; missed two calls at first base on plays that weren't really that close and then shrugged on a first-inning hard grounder down the first base line that he simply made no call on and begged (with hang-dog eyes) for the home plate ump to make the decision fair or foul instead; play stopped for 2 seconds while the little bean rolled around in Symons' head but literally never landed on fair or foul, yes or no. Home plate ump eventually ruled fair and GCU got a run and men on second and third.
Pathetic is too weak a word for it. Hopefully, Symons doesn't cash the weekend check. He sure didn't show up for work.
Last edited by randymc on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

T. Minder, btw, was on the bench -- though not in uniform -- and had a light cast or stiff covering on his injured wrist and hand. A slim covering, not something bulky.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

This is a .500 team. No more, maybe less. In conference play .500 may be a stretch.
Last edited by TUPF on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

Under .500 at end of year.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I have not watched more than a few innings on TV here or there this year but I have followed the attom's threads and the thing that sticks out horribly is the sloppy play: errors, baserunning gaffes (or just bad decisions by coaches), hitting batters, giving up walks. It's the little things (you know, the ones most of us learned in grade school). It reminds me a little of Dunleavy's plan of "by the time you get here I expect you to know how to do all of that stuff and I'm not gonna work on it".
visualmagic
President's Circle

I’ll tell him you what isn’t sloppy, our National anthem and airport etiquette
waverider
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:53 pm It reminds me a little of Dunleavy's plan of "by the time you get here I expect you to know how to do all of that stuff and I'm not gonna work on it".
While I don’t agree with the “not having to work on it” part*, if you want kids that don’t need a lot of work on the fundamentals (in any sport) then you have to improve the level of kids you are recruiting.

*regardless of skill, there is always work to be done on refining and improving those skills.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:07 pm Under .500 at end of year.
Bring it on. Hate it for the players and us fans but it's that time again.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I know you folks are being coldly realistic and looking at mid-term to long-term for what is best for the program. I just can't root against Tulane. I know it's a pipedream but I'm pulling for the Wave to win conference as unlikely an outcome I could predict. If they don't and finish the way most of us would predict based on what we have seen to date, then let it happen.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Cold realism and always rooting for your team to win every game are not mutually exclusive. Otherwise we would not be here and I certainly would not be a Phillies fan. :-D
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:21 pm I know you folks are being coldly realistic and looking at mid-term to long-term for what is best for the program. I just can't root against Tulane. I know it's a pipedream but I'm pulling for the Wave to win conference as unlikely an outcome I could predict. If they don't and finish the way most of us would predict based on what we have seen to date, then let it happen.
Nobody wants to lose but sometimes in sports you reach the point where a change at the top is more important than today's game. I was hoping that last year's abbreviated season was a sign that the light had come on after three years of underperformance but here we are struggling to get to .500 in non-league play. Even you have to end your post with "if...then let it happen."
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:21 pm I know you folks are being coldly realistic and looking at mid-term to long-term for what is best for the program. I just can't root against Tulane. I know it's a pipedream but I'm pulling for the Wave to win conference as unlikely an outcome I could predict. If they don't and finish the way most of us would predict based on what we have seen to date, then let it happen.
You don’t have to root against Tulane. You should hope that they win the conference but they probably won’t and even a 2nd place finish might not be enough to get into a Regional.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Here is the ultimate hope: somehow make a regional via a backdoor like winning the conference tournament by some miracle but the necessary changes are still made after play finishes. Then you get a return to postseason AND a brighter future.

I'm dreaming, I know
visualmagic
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:56 pm Here is the ultimate hope: somehow make a regional via a backdoor like winning the conference tournament by some miracle but the necessary changes are still made after play finishes. Then you get a return to postseason AND a brighter future.

I'm dreaming, I know
That would be great but in reality that would get a contract extension around here.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:56 pm Here is the ultimate hope: somehow make a regional via a backdoor like winning the conference tournament by some miracle but the necessary changes are still made after play finishes. Then you get a return to postseason AND a brighter future.

I'm dreaming, I know
That would be great but in reality that would get a contract extension around here.
Exactly. That would be complete vindication of "everything so far is just spring training" and we'd have several more years of the same system.
waverider
Cornerstone

long green wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:37 pm here we are struggling to get to .500 in non-league play.
And outside of Miss St, it wasn’t a difficult non-conf schedule. Not like the early 2000s when we were playing ranked West Coast teams.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Not saying this years schedule is too tough but just clarifying what you said is not accurate. We would play West Coast teams but we played some real patsies too.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/base ... edule/2001
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:27 pm Not saying this years schedule is too tough but just clarifying what you said is not accurate. We would play West Coast teams but we played some real patsies too.

Well yeah. We have always had tune-up games against lesser teams, but we also finished better than .500 those years. Most of the CY opponents are equivalent of those lesser teams.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

waverider wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 pm
wavedom wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:27 pm Not saying this years schedule is too tough but just clarifying what you said is not accurate. We would play West Coast teams but we played some real patsies too.

Well yeah. We have always had tune-up games against lesser teams, but we also finished better than .500 those years. Most of the CY opponents are equivalent of those lesser teams.
I think this years lesser teams are better than those were.
We deserve so much better
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Tired of listening to Jewett with all his baseball jargon/slang. He talks as if he actually knows the game.
MOVING ON UP!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:05 pm Tired of listening to Jewett with all his baseball jargon/slang. He talks as if he actually knows the game.
Yeah! Who does he think he's fooling?!
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:00 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:05 pm Tired of listening to Jewett with all his baseball jargon/slang. He talks as if he actually knows the game.
Yeah! Who does he think he's fooling?!
Not us experts, that's for sure. :green wink:
MOVING ON UP!