New OL Coach gone (post from a year ago)

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

New OL Coach gone (post from a year ago)

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Being reported the George Barnett, who we just hired in this cycle from Miami OH to be our OL coach, is moving on to Iowa. Apparently Iowa's OL coach is the new OC at Wyoming so this job came open. Barnett was well thought of, so bummed he won't get to coach our guys. This also seems like a cruddy time to have to jump back into the hiring pool for any position.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Arti ... 161839024/
long green
Cornerstone

Re: New OL Coach gone

Post by long green »

Well, at least we know he was good. Very poor timing. Not only have to go through spring without next season's OL coach but will have to find ways to get the next guy working with the group when he gets here, some of which might not be NCAA legal.
Last edited by long green on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Let’s poach Will Hall’s OL coach from USM :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

If Iowa hired him he must have been good.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

If WF hired him, he was good. Nothing else matters to me.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Ok. Iowa is known for OL but whatever
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Another article. Bummer is right. No doubt Fritz knows coaching and knows quality coaches. Too bad they're not staying very long with us.
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... assistant/
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Apparently the replacement is hired

https://footballscoop.com/news/breaking ... assistant/
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

That didn't take long! :-D
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I like this part
... hiring the young Watt is a chance to further strengthen the bond in a Tulane program on the rise.
Makes me think either Fritz knew for a little while this may happen or Long likely already had Watt in mind as someone he’d hire if the opportunity presented itself.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:50 pm I like this part
... hiring the young Watt is a chance to further strengthen the bond in a Tulane program on the rise.
Makes me think either Fritz knew for a little while this may happen or Long likely already had Watt in mind as someone he’d hire if the opportunity presented itself.
...Which has been a recurring theme in the Dannen/Fritz era... a coach leaves and "it's almost like we had a list prepared and someone else we wanted". Gracious, what a refreshing 180 from the previous regimes. It's like we're being run in a professional and organized manner or something.

And we hired a line coach who is from Illinois and was a former lineman himself. I can't imagine anyone around here will be happy about that.... :green wink:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:55 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:50 pm I like this part
...Which has been a recurring theme in the Dannen/Fritz era... a coach leaves and "it's almost like we had a list prepared and someone else we wanted". Gracious, what a refreshing 180 from the previous regimes. It's like we're being run in a professional and organized manner or something.

And we hired a line coach who is from Illinois and was a former lineman himself. I can't imagine anyone around here will be happy about that.... :green wink:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

TUPF wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:46 pm That didn't take long! :-D
That's what she said
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Listening to Coach Fritz press conference today, we also lost our special teams coach to ULL. This may have already been reported, but I didn’t see it.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

The conference the coach played in for HS produces Lots of OL talent (by Illinois standards at least).
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:25 pm Listening to Coach Fritz press conference today, we also lost our special teams coach to ULL. This may have already been reported, but I didn’t see it.
Did he leave to take the same position there? Can’t imagine he’d get a pay increase to do the same thing.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 pm
tjtlja wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:25 pm Listening to Coach Fritz press conference today, we also lost our special teams coach to ULL. This may have already been reported, but I didn’t see it.
Did he leave to take the same position there? Can’t imagine he’d get a pay increase to do the same thing.
Chris Couch, special teams analyst (we don't appear to have a coordinator), left to take ST Coordinator job at ULL.
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/what- ... -line-room

Here's a story about Watt when he went back to ND. Long's replacement as Irish OC is a good friend of his.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

ND’s Oline has been one of their few position groups consistently producing first round talent.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:49 pm
Chris Couch, special teams analyst (we don't appear to have a coordinator), left to take ST Coordinator job at ULL.
Couch was also recruiting coordinator with the Wave. I don’t know if he will hold that position at ULL.

I have no idea why he left, but perhaps he thought hooking on to Napier’s coat tails was a good career move at this time.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

That’s likely a pay increase from analyst to coordinator.

I think Fritz is basically our ST coordinator so it’s probably not a move that will set us back.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:24 am
Couch was also recruiting coordinator with the Wave. I don’t know if he will hold that position at ULL.

I have no idea why he left, but perhaps he thought hooking on to Napier’s coat tails was a good career move at this time.
He's now an on filed coach and gets paid more. Clear reasons for the move.
We deserve so much better
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:24 am .

He's an analyst here and a coach there. He got a promotion.
Isn't Wesley Fritz the recruiting coordinator?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I saw recruiting coordinator attached to his title, but now that you say Wes Fritz was the recruiting coordinator that is correct. Maybe that was part of his duties in addition to being a ST analyst.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:24 pm
TUPF wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:46 pm That didn't take long! :-D
That's what she said
:mrgreen: :-D :mrgreen:
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.