Spring Football

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Spring Football

Post by tjtlja »

Listening to Coach WF, the defense had their way with the offense today. A lot of pressure on the QB’s, and the WR’s having a difficult time getting off of press coverage. The depth at WR is a concern. We need some development and the extra reps should pay off for Toles, Pressley, and P. Watt.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

We have three starting quality guys out all of whom will be ready to go in August (sooner, really) when they'll be joined by four new WR's. Numbers there will be fine.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:44 pm We have three starting quality guys out all of whom will be ready to go in August (sooner, really) when they'll be joined by four new WR's. Numbers there will be fine.
Numbers are not the concern, quality is. We all have very short memories here but last year we had a horrible problem with WRs who just plain dropped passes. Everyone is excited about Pratt and our RB stable but if guys continue to drop passes or can't get open against decent defenses (like last year), we won't live up to any expectations.

I hope the guys currently out do well when they come back.

On the bright side, last year's defense would not have caused any problems, so that's a potential silver lining.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:11 pm https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 21438.html

The linked story is about Long's different approach. I know I liked hearing him talk about the limits of speeding it up on offense. We'll probably be faster but not UCF fast.
Just got around to reading this. More than even the tempo and the discussion of certain players, I'm excited to hear Long is more in the Bowden mold of getting on guys hard for things they do wrong. We've had too many guys who did the "nice guy" approach of only complimenting things done right (as it says Hall did) and while that has advantages in some ways, it can also lead to being soft. It's been discussed here many times that our greatest successes have been under hard-nosed taskmasters and it sound like Long is one of those.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Remember the talk about Long's personality "issues"? Not everyone responds the same way to tough coaching.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Sophandros wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 am Remember the talk about Long's personality "issues"? Not everyone responds the same way to tough coaching.
It's a fine balance. If it's only constant derision then most folks eventually tune out. If it's everyone gets a trophy you get soft players and soft adults. Praise where warranted and kick butt where needed.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Sophandros wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 am Remember the talk about Long's personality "issues"? Not everyone responds the same way to tough coaching.
So is the implication here that the only supposed issues at ND were that he was a hard-nosed guy who got in players' faces? I can't believe that players at ND (a lot of whom are midwestern, where high school coaches still lean a little "Bob Knight-ish") would be bothered enough by that to have him forced out.

Whatever the case, I am happy to hear that our players - Pratt especially - are responding to it and even acknowledging it in the media, saying they appreciate it. That implies they aren't going to quit because of it. If he were that hard-nosed and no one talked about it, that would make it more likely that players didn't respond to it (and were only talking about it amongst themselves, or worse, just stewing) and/or would turn on him. Players publicly saying they appreciate him being so tough on them is a GREAT thing, IMO.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm
long green wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:44 pm We have three starting quality guys out all of whom will be ready to go in August (sooner, really) when they'll be joined by four new WR's. Numbers there will be fine.
Numbers are not the concern, quality is. We all have very short memories here but last year we had a horrible problem with WRs who just plain dropped passes. Everyone is excited about Pratt and our RB stable but if guys continue to drop passes or can't get open against decent defenses (like last year), we won't live up to any expectations.

I hope the guys currently out do well when they come back.

On the bright side, last year's defense would not have caused any problems, so that's a potential silver lining.
Pete, this is what I was really referring to. Are we going to have to rely on freshman as quality back-ups? I hope Sutton is the real deal. We need someone with his experience to provide the 4th wide out. Hope he gets to practice this week.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If Sutton is on the level of Jackson, we'll have three truly solid targets at WR independent of development of other players or the addition of a new guy who reshuffles the deck by his appearance. We're returning our two best guys which doesn't happen that often. It's happened twice under Fritz, 2017 & 2018. As for drops, get specific. How many did Duece have and how many did Jackson have? We had too many and they were spread out but the prospects on paper are notably better at WR than any year since the storm. And we have the best QB prospect here since Losman, with a year of experience.

The results in passing last year were too spotty but look at what we had going into last year in returning production and at QB. We should have struggled and we did.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TUPF wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 am
It's a fine balance. If it's only constant derision then most folks eventually tune out. If it's everyone gets a trophy you get soft players and soft adults. Praise where warranted and kick butt where needed.
This. The conversation also said it will initially play out well. Over time it becomes overbearing. Plus it was more than just players it was fellow coaches at ND. It was to such a degree that he ended up here. No doubt a huge fall from ND. We got lucky as was said initially. He'll only be here a short time because he will likely have success with Pratt at QB. It should work out well for both parties.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:08 pm
This. The conversation also said it will initially play out well. Over time it becomes overbearing. Plus it was more than just players it was fellow coaches at ND. It was to such a degree that he ended up here. No doubt a huge fall from ND. We got lucky as was said initially. He'll only be here a short time because he will likely have success with Pratt at QB. It should work out well for both parties.
Agree. Many here hate to admit it but our history shows that we are a stepping stone (and whatever step forward AAC membership might have been, the continued dominant growth of the P5 has negated). If Long has success, he's either gone, or, if the timing is right, first in line when Fritz retires. That would, of course, mean he's adapted since the "issues" at ND. I'm fine either way; it means we've had success. And until success is sustained long enough to not be a stepping stone, the key is hiring the right "next guy".

In my experience, being a hard-nosed coach only works if you are fair - you have to be the same with everyone and don't let some off easier. If you do, those getting constantly berated start seeing that others aren't and grow a grudge which is really hard to fix.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 pm In my experience, being a hard-nosed coach only works if you are fair - you have to be the same with everyone and don't let some off easier. If you do, those getting constantly berated start seeing that others aren't and grow a grudge which is really hard to fix.
Exactly. There are lots of ways to screw it up too. Targeting a sinlge player to make the whipping goat. Playing favorites to going easier on premadonnas with fragile egos. Or pushing certain people while ignoring others to the point where they are not part of the compeition and as anyone who has been on a college roster with their eyes half open will tell you coaches have subjective favorites.

The point is if being hard nosed is one of your main tactics then it better be as fair as can be.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

In addition, as a player you hope they are speaking to you period. If it is complete silence, then the player has a decision.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

All of which is to my original point, which is that the story posted upthread about Long being tough and the players responding positively is a GREAT thing to hear.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

Does anyone around here remember Jim Pittman. He used to say that preparing for a FB game was like preparing to go to war. As I recall, he did okay by us. We went to the same church so I had many opportunities to visit with him. Still a favorite of mine.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

My brother played for Pittman at Tulane and is very complimentary, although he said you had to be really tough to make it. He sorted out the guys who didn't want to go to war and his teams were successful.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

StPeteWave wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:03 pmDoes anyone around here remember Jim Pittman.
More people here are of an age that they attended games in the Pittman era than are not...
:mrgreen:

(I'm in the minority who are not)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:46 pm All of which is to my original point, which is that the story posted upthread about Long being tough and the players responding positively is a GREAT thing to hear.
We're halfway through his first spring practice...let's check everyone's attitudes once we have games/losses/adversity and see how the coaching style is wearing at that point.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 pm
StPeteWave wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:03 pmDoes anyone around here remember Jim Pittman.
More people here are of an age that they attended games in the Pittman era than are not...
:mrgreen:

(I'm in the minority who are not)
One of the very few places where we get to feel young.... :lol:
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

How many on this board plan on making it to the Spring Game? Right around the corner, April 3rd, I believe.

Would like some well-thought-out critique. Don't be bashful.

I won't be there, too long of a drive.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm planning to be there but it's a spring game. If something comes up and I can't make it Saturday, ah well.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Cheerleader wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:36 pm My brother played for Pittman at Tulane and is very complimentary, although he said you had to be really tough to make it. He sorted out the guys who didn't want to go to war and his teams were successful.
Loved Pittman. He would have had a hard time coaching in this day and age with the limitations on what he could do.
We deserve so much better
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Like locking them all in a padded room with pugi (sp)sticks and helmets and squaring them off against one another till only one was left. Brutal. But you found out who the warriors were.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 2c785.html

Deuce Watts returned to practice, Fritz expects him to be able to participate tomorrow.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Good news...