COVID vaccine update

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Re: COVID vaccine update

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

AO Sig wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 am
To Marathonwave- I pretty much know precisely which medication you are taking; since it knocks out the activated B cells, I would suggest that if a vaccine is offered you, consider getting it a few weeks after your dose (so that the medication does not knock out the activated B cells making the antibodies against the viral proteins). That is, at least, my opinion; I had this very discussion with a patient this week.
Thanks, AO. That pretty much makes sense.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:29 am
gerryb323 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:01 pm Patriots Day is the third Monday in April. Just sayin
Boston Marathon.
Funny, the planner calendar sitting on my desk in front of me has "Patriot Day" on 9/11 and nothing mentioning the word in April. Not making a political argument, just stating what I'm looking at.

Is this another one of those things like when I started work in Birmingham after Tulane and was told that I did not get Memorial Day as a holiday "because that's a Yankee holiday"? (I'm not kidding either)
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 am
gerryb323 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:01 pm Patriots Day is the third Monday in April. Just sayin
Boston Marathon.
Funny, the planner calendar sitting on my desk in front of me has "Patriot Day" on 9/11 and nothing mentioning the word in April. Not making a political argument, just stating what I'm looking at.

Is this another one of those things like when I started work in Birmingham after Tulane and was told that I did not get Memorial Day as a holiday "because that's a Yankee holiday"? (I'm not kidding either)
All I know is that for at least 120 Boston marathons, they were held on Patriots' Day, that being 19th April, then moving to 3rd Monday in April. I guess there's now a "National" Patriot's Day. Makes sense.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm
Boston Marathon.

All I know is that for at least 120 Boston marathons, they were held on Patriots' Day, that being 19th April, then moving to 3rd Monday in April. I guess there's now a "National" Patriot's Day. Makes sense.
Patriots vs Patriot Day I guess.
Paul Revere's Ride?! Come on guys!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:14 am I've seen a slew of doctor friends posting so-called "vaxxies" (selfie as you are getting your vaccine shot) while getting round two. A few of them reported being somewhat knocked out the next day (really tired, spent a lot of time resting), soreness in the arm, headaches. None of them considered it too bad. These are all people in the 35-50 age range.

Hopefully this is the case with almost everyone.
My mom is scheduled to get her second shot next week and my mother in law is scheduled to do so the following week, so I'll report back after I listen to them talk to me on the phone about their experiences with it.

Couple of interesting points from a webinar I attended this week about vaccinations:

1) Constant reminders that you need to wait a couple weeks after your second shot in order for antibodies to build up.

2) Continue masking and distancing after your second shot because the data are inconclusive (as of right now) whether a vaccinated person can still spread the disease.

3) Employers really need to start developing their policies around vaccination NOW and start incorporating those plans into any return to office plans (if they are not currently at the office) or on-site safety plans and health and welfare plans. By this I mean policies around mandatory vaccination (or not), facilitating vaccination time off, incentivizing vaccination, education around the vaccine, etc.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm
Boston Marathon.

Patriots vs Patriot Day I guess.
Paul Revere's Ride?! Come on guys!
I had a little horse named Paul Revere.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Sophandros wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 pmI had a little horse named Paul Revere.
It's about time someone brought some YOGWF-ness to this thread!

How much beer did you have? 8)
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 am
Sophandros wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 pmI had a little horse named Paul Revere.

You really want to upset some of the curmudgeons, post that Revere is in the transfer portal. I hear he is a legend and a 5 * recruit out of New England.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 am

About a quart...

Which by the way really isn't that much beer.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Was he a "can do" horse?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Roller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:39 pm
Was he a "can do" horse?

Don't feel bad Roller, no one expects you to be versed in mid-80s Beastie Boys. :mrgreen:
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:33 am
Was he a "can do" horse?

Don't feel bad Roller, no one expects you to be versed in mid-80s Beastie Boys. :mrgreen:
I'm not big on contemporary music--especially rap. But the Beastie Boys were long preceded by "Guys and Dolls." Hence, my allusion. (Although I must admit that I should have known that you kids would be thinking of more recent adaptations of an older culture.)
Don't feel bad, Pete, no one expects you to be versed in mid-50s Broadway musicals.
:mrgreen:
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:47 am
PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:33 am
Was he a "can do" horse?

I'm not big on contemporary music--especially rap. But the Beastie Boys were long preceded by "Guys and Dolls." Hence, my allusion. (Although I must admit that I should have known that you kids would be thinking of more recent adaptations of an older culture.)
Don't feel bad, Pete, no one expects you to be versed in mid-50s Broadway musicals.
Not like it's your Epitaph...
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

Since Roller is bringing up Guys and Dolls, I can boast that I saw Jamie Farr in the role of Nathan Detroit in a revival of Guys and Dolls on Broadway back in the 1990's.

On the subject of that musical, that musical was performed by "Campus night" ( I think that was what it was called) during my days at Tulane. Chris LeBlanc, who is now performing as Michael Baldwin on "The Young and The Restless" on CBS was one of the two male leads in that production.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Each of our musical tastes are rooted in whatever it is we liked from our early teens through our twenties, give or take. You might widen the aperture here or there and add songs or genres as you age, but that's about it. To argue what is best is about as fruitful as arguing over pizza (Di Matteo on Via Tribunali, Napoli, Italia for me :wink: ).
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

AO Sig, thank you for all the information you have provided.

Curious about your thoughts regarding Dr. Birx. She said today the President would put up graphs that were not the graphs she put together. This was a regular practice at the press conferences. She knew these graphs were misinformation and said nothing. Is this a form of malpractice? How many deaths could have been saved? We not only have to fight the disease, but we have to fight the people that oversee the solution.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

I don't think that it can be termed "malpractice;" however, I know a lot of academicians up in the Northeast who were less than impressed with the information being given out.

One problem I have seen is that there are tons of conflicting data in Medicine. We see lots of "everything you know is wrong" over the years, and I have seen articles that totally contradict other articles in the medical literature. add to that, there is a ton of bad stuff that gets press that later on is disproven, without the retractions getting the same amount of press.

One of my favorite examples is when the New England Journal of Medicine had their lead article in their weekly press conference one which announced that drinking coffee was a major risk factor for pancreatic cancer. It led the evening national news shows, and resulted in a major drop in coffee sales within a week. Within a few weeks of the article being published, NEJM began to receive letters disputing the results; they first got articles calling into question the validity of the statistics, pointing out that the wrong equations were used. Within 3-4 months there were very serious responses about the data, the conclusions, etc. The NEJM finally published a retraction of the article based on the faulty statistics, etc. Unfortunately, the retraction did not get into the news at all.

I actually had a letter published in the Journal of the American Medical Association when I was a fellow. I called into question the interpretation of data in an article authored by one of the nation's top trauma surgeons. I suspect that the article was published based on the author's status, rather than the validity of his "research."

Finally, David Baltimore was a Nobel-winning researcher who later had his data questioned; after trashing the people questioning an article, he ended up being disgraced in the media. I had a section chief who was an @$$hole to everyone in the division; despite his having tenure he lost his job when he was found falsifying data (great example of Karma).

That is a lot of information on various examples of questionable data; there have been lots of "oops, I was wrong" in the COVID realm. Reminds me of the old saying- there are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Roller wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:47 am I'm not big on contemporary music--especially rap. But the Beastie Boys were long preceded by "Guys and Dolls." Hence, my allusion. (Although I must admit that I should have known that you kids would be thinking of more recent adaptations of an older culture.)
The funny part of this is "Guys and Dolls" was my favorite musical as a kid... My parents were in local theater and I went to many musicals. I actually had a cassette of the soundtrack while in college at Tulane that I'd occasionally play (not around my teammates... :-D). And while I was in college, Don Henley even hit the charts with a cover of "Sit down (you're rocking the boat)".

Still doesn't change the fact that you compelling missed Soph's joke. :wink:
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:53 amStill doesn't change the fact that you compelling missed Soph's joke. :wink:
Nor, I guess, the fact that I've completely missed your point.
I know that the Beastie Boys song was supposedly a telling of how the group got together, but I don't see the "joke" in alluding to that, any more (or less) than the allusion to Guys and Dolls.
:king: :dots: :coolshades: :angel: :? :green wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Roller wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:47 amDon't feel bad, Pete, no one expects you to be versed in mid-50s Broadway musicals. :mrgreen:
Side note: I distinctly remember being in the audience at a performance of "Guys and Dolls" as a young kid and asking my mom why it would be such a big deal or scandalous that a man would take a woman to Havana. I was like "why are they betting on that, what's wrong with going on a trip?" :mrgreen: My mom had to hurriedly and gently explain to young me something to the effect of "well that means they would presumably be spending the night together in a hotel." I think I was old enough at the time to comprehend it and not think "wouldn't they have their own rooms?"... :lol: :lol: :lol:
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

My only reply to that story that I can come up with is "Sit down, you're rocking the boat!"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:05 am My only reply to that story that I can come up with is "Sit down, you're rocking the boat!"
Nicely nicely done
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

My wife got the vaccine yesterday. My mother gets it tomorrow. I got a front row student who tested positive today :coolshades:
Last edited by WaveProf on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Glad to see many people here getting the vaccine. Since I am just a priority 2 with residence in a major city, it's going to be many weeks before I get the chance.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:24 am
AO Sig wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:05 am My only reply to that story that I can come up with is "Sit down, you're rocking the boat!"
Nicely nicely done
and to you, sir!