Pratt is the best QB we’ve had in years

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Pratt is the best QB we’ve had in years

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:52 am
TU23 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:27 pm Good game by Pratt. Better game for Will Hall after a stinker last week. Taking shots got their safeties to back off the run game. We only hit 2 of 6 deep balls (should’ve been 3-6) but Pratt gave us a shot to catch all but one (threw it out of bounds) and none of the throws were particularly risky. We have to keep stretching the field. It will open everything up in the middle of the field so we don’t have to keep throwing outside the numbers. We got lucky on a couple of throws that could’ve been pick 6’s.

Fritz did what needed to be done. And he gave Pratt confidence by telling him the third series was his early in the week. Pratt’s going to make some mistakes and may cost us a game or two because of growing pains, but he gives us a chance to win...Keon doesn’t. I wish that Keon did. He’s a great kid and works hard but it just didn’t come together for him and translate to the field. He did what a leader does and was vocally cheering on his replacement. There may be a time we have to call on him again this year (if Pratt is injured). I hope he stays ready and if god forbid that happens, he comes in and leads us to a win.

As for Pratt, just remember Tanner Lee against Tulsa in 2014. He looked like he was going to be a monster. The difference is we have a staff with a clue and a running game. Hopefully Pratt can make plays here and there and we don’t have to put the kind of pressure on him that we did with Lee. Pratt has a chance to be really good, but I have a feeling this is going to be a rollercoaster of a season. Buckle up.
Lee looked like a monster for one half. Pratt didn’t look like that but he made plays and he made a couple of throws we haven’t seen in a while look easy.

Rollercoaster? Been one already. We need a youth movement for the rest of this crazy year. Meyers and Henry should play but as valuable depth. Henry is clearly the fourth best ILB. Also, the staff needs to start de-emphasizing grad transfers, slightly. It’s a nice resource but we did too much of it this season. The two most obvious upgrades (Jones and Meyers) haven’t been upgrades so far. The things we need are young players at certain position groups which now may include a third running back in 2021.
Speaking of which where was Mykel Jones?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:28 pm Just a note of true freshman who played yesterday -

QB - Pratt, Ibieta
OL - Tuggle, Remetich
LB - Machado
DL - Friloux
DB - Hall, Dyson
Cool story bro
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Wavery wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 am Whether Pratt is the best QB we've had in years, remains to be seen given the sample size. However, he looked poised and clearly earned the respect of his team by bouncing up from that targeting. That's how you earn the trust and respect of your team. His long balls looked to be very nice.

Maybe, just maybe, the Navy debacle changes the trajectory of the future of Tulane. I'm gonna be interested in watching.
After his first series my wife even commented that Pratt was following in the footsteps of good QBs who wore #7 for us referencing Ramsey and Losman.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Post by Radio Wave »

What I really liked was the accuracy of his throws. Everything he put up had the right zip code and all but a couple were catchable.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Radio Wave wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 pm What I really liked was the accuracy of his throws. Everything he put up had the right zip code and all but a couple were catchable.
Phat Watts dropped one that went through his hands. Someone on the scoreboard thread said he probably wasn’t expecting it to be that close to him!
Tulane Greenbackers

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

BTW what ever happened to the "we are waiting for Ty Keyes" thing.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

It really highlights how shameful it was that we had NFL caliber QBs for so many years - Patrick, JP, and Ryan namely, who were waste on bad or marginal teams. Think what they could have done with talent comparable to the current team?
Bring home da Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

doncecco wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm It really highlights how shameful it was that we had NFL caliber QBs for so many years - Patrick, JP, and Ryan namely, who were waste on bad or marginal teams. Think what they could have done with talent comparable to the current team?
Has Scelfo hired a decent DC that held teams under 25-30pts we would have won a lot of games during his time here.
Tulane Greenbackers

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

waverider wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:15 pm
doncecco wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm It really highlights how shameful it was that we had NFL caliber QBs for so many years - Patrick, JP, and Ryan namely, who were waste on bad or marginal teams. Think what they could have done with talent comparable to the current team?
Has Scelfo hired a decent DC that held teams under 25-30pts we would have won a lot of games during his time here.
Truth
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

waverider wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Wavery wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 am Whether Pratt is the best QB we've had in years, remains to be seen given the sample size. However, he looked poised and clearly earned the respect of his team by bouncing up from that targeting. That's how you earn the trust and respect of your team. His long balls looked to be very nice.

Maybe, just maybe, the Navy debacle changes the trajectory of the future of Tulane. I'm gonna be interested in watching.
After his first series my wife even commented that Pratt was following in the footsteps of good QBs who wore #7 for us referencing Ramsey and Losman.
I must be getting old; I also think that Roch Hontas wore #7; not too shabby a QB.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

i had class with Losman - was an interesting person...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Again like most here I think Tulane will do better with Pratt at QB this year than Howard, so play Michael if and until he doesn't do better than Keon might. We'll see what Pratt's top is.

As others have pointed out, the insight into his football chops was his willingness to risk his status by transferring from a smallish FL program with a modest winning pedigree and where he was the big fish to a mega nearby power, beat out the incumbent and have a very successful senior year (all the while keeping his commitment to Tulane.)

That to me shows he probably has the sine qua non to succeed as the Tulane QB even as a true frosh.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:25 pm BTW what ever happened to the "we are waiting for Ty Keyes" thing.
We are waiting for him and hoping he joins us. Let them all compete. We are definitely going to see at least one of them transfer out. May the best man win
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Pratt doesn't remind me of anyone I've seen here. He's like a lot of the solid to good G5 QB's other teams have had. Nick Mullens, Paul Smith, that sort, if we're being optimistic. He'll have his bad days, so pump the brakes (FW) and be glad we're in a better place than we were.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am Pratt doesn't remind me of anyone I've seen here.
THAT hits the mark. His perceived (albeit small sample) combo of poise, toughness, clutch, accuracy, arm is rare for a TU qb.
I hope/think the team will rally around him - especially when he has a stinker game. Sounds like they really really like Howard.
And for others to compare Pratt to Tanner Lee even for a quarter or a half is what we used to say on the playground (and I guess we can't say anymore) fruit.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The plays he made with his feet put that comparison six feet under forever.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am Pratt doesn't remind me of anyone I've seen here. He's like a lot of the solid to good G5 QB's other teams have had. Nick Mullens, Paul Smith, that sort, if we're being optimistic. He'll have his bad days, so pump the brakes (FW) and be glad we're in a better place than we were.
Mullins threw 25-36 for 343 with the 49ers two days ago...I'll take it.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:15 pm
long green wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am Pratt doesn't remind me of anyone I've seen here. He's like a lot of the solid to good G5 QB's other teams have had. Nick Mullens, Paul Smith, that sort, if we're being optimistic. He'll have his bad days, so pump the brakes (FW) and be glad we're in a better place than we were.
I am thinking about what they did in college. I saw Mullens at his best at USM and I would never have expected him doing what he’s done as a pro. He looks like a different athlete.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Yankeewave wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 pm i had class with Losman - was an interesting person...
If you mean "full of himself and thought he was John Elway," then I agree with you.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:05 pm
Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:15 pm
I am thinking about what they did in college. I saw Mullens at his best at USM and I would never have expected him doing what he’s done as a pro. He looks like a different athlete.
I know, I couldn't resist. He could be Tom Brady or Joe Average. He will be limited to Hall's playbook either way. Now if Hall leaves in a year or two then that might change. I just don't expect him to challenge King, Ramsey, other any others in the Tulane record books. Though, if he is the starter for 5 seasons it will be hard to keep him from some, Hall or no.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:22 pm I just don't expect him to challenge King, Ramsey, other any others in the Tulane record books.
There is no need for him to be the top three QBs of all time. We have a complete team for the first time in forever. If he can manage games and be say Mike McKay-ish who can run, that will be WAY enough.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

FW wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:52 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 pm i had class with Losman - was an interesting person...
If you mean "full of himself and thought he was John Elway," then I agree with you.
I thought he meant “parked in handicap spaces around campus because he was entitled to them”. (True story)
Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

waverider wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 pm
Radio Wave wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 pm What I really liked was the accuracy of his throws. Everything he put up had the right zip code and all but a couple were catchable.
Phat Watts dropped one that went through his hands. Someone on the scoreboard thread said he probably wasn’t expecting it to be that close to him!
That was my snarky comment. :oops:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

you said it, not me. was the only athlete I ever had a class with where he let everyone know he was an athlete. Seth Marler was in my history class the year he won or was nominated for some big award and the prof announced it and he got all bashful
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:09 pm
I thought he meant “parked in handicap spaces around campus because he was entitled to them”. (True story)
Didn't he do that at UCLA?