Tulane 2020 HOF Class

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane 2020 HOF Class

Unread post by ml wave »

Pretty awesome!
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

Very cool. Congratulations, Pete!
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Hey Pete. FYI...I was looking at some Tulane items on Ebay.....you have a nice little press photo from a game against Florida Atlantic...you had some hops back then...lol
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

BACONWAVE wrote:Hey Pete. FYI...I was looking at some Tulane items on Ebay.....you have a nice little press photo from a game against Florida Atlantic...you had some hops back then...lol
Link?

I had a 32" vertical from standing flat-footed, but was better off the run off one foot. Not bad for a white boy. :mrgreen:
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

WOW. First of all, how random. I have never searched my name on eBay before... why would I even expect to find that? :shock: But more than that, who in the world thinks they can get $15 for this picture? I mean, there are probably two people in the world who might want that picture and I'm one of them (the FAU player being the other) and I certainly don't want or need it. :lol: The big framed photo that they gave me on the court on Senior Day was similar (from the same game) but not even as good as this one.

I once visited our photographer, Jerry Ward, at his office and went through his hundreds of game shots, and bought a couple from him (this appears to be one of those). My understanding is that most were lost in Katrina. :cry:

Speaking of that, I was going through old photos from my parents' house this past weekend and ran across a bunch of pics my mom took on various visits for basketball games. Some good stuff, I may try to scan some and post here. Unfortunately, the entire set from Senior Day (me, Makeba Perry, Carlin Hartman) were all blurred in what appeared to be a mistake by the photo developing place. Every picture was completely messed up and blurry and not worth keeping, but they were all blurred in the same way which implies it was not the photographer but the developer... and the negatives are all missing. Bummer. :(
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Yeah.... like within the last 2 months or so a ton of old pictures have been showing up for some reason.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

BACONWAVE wrote:Yeah.... like within the last 2 months or so a ton of old pictures have been showing up for some reason.
If it’s like my house, after a month of being at home people are actually sorting through those old boxes that have been stored for decades that “I have to look through someday”.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:Yeah.... like within the last 2 months or so a ton of old pictures have been showing up for some reason.
If it’s like my house, after a month of being at home people are actually sorting through those old boxes that have been stored for decades that “I have to look through someday”.
See the last paragraph of my post three spots upthread.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I received an email that Tulane has officially rescheduled the induction of the 2020 class to September 10th, with on-field recognition during the Morgan State football game on September 11th. Excited for it, despite the latter portion falling on the 20th anniversary of 9/11. Hopefully with it being held in early September, all the guys who are currently coaching elsewhere can make the trip back. Also looking forward to seeing Jerald Sowell, also in the class, who was at Tulane at the same time as us and is a great guy.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Congratulations!! What a fun time that was. Well deserved!!
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Pete, that should be a blast! Some of my best memories as a Tulane fan. Thank you, and have a blessed time!
waverider
Cornerstone

I had some stuff (posters, stickers, etc) from those years. I know some by Perry Clark and I may still have a score card signed by the whole team. I’ll have to see if I can find the box that I stored it in.
Tulane Greenbackers

Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

Grats Pete I only saw you once in person and that was a USF game in Tampa. We won in overtime but what a rowdy crowd / student body. I was behind the bench. You did all you could to keep from laughing!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Radio Wave wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 pm Grats Pete I only saw you once in person and that was a USF game in Tampa. We won in overtime but what a rowdy crowd / student body. I was behind the bench. You did all you could to keep from laughing!
Man, we loved playing there! The crowd behind our bench was hysterical and kept us in stitches. Unfortunately a couple of years after they joined the conference, I remember hearing that Denny Crum complained so much (and there may have been allegations of racist comments being made) and USF moved them back like 10 rows. They then filled those empty seats with fake tombstones with all of our names and some random comment about us based on what they could learn about us from whatever methods were available then (pre-internet). Clever but not as amusing as hearing them heckle us the whole game.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

Excellent, Pete! Congratulations!
waverider
Cornerstone

Hey Pete, I just learned I’ll be joining you in the Hall of Fame!!

Well... ok, the Greenbackers are being inducted as Slatten Award winners as part of the 2021 Class so not nearly as meaningful as your accomplishment but as a 15+ year member of the club I will tell my grandkids I’m in and they won’t be none the wiser!!

Btw, here is the full 2021 class

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2021/5 ... -2021.aspx
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:16 pm Hey Pete, I just learned I’ll be joining you in the Hall of Fame!!

Well... ok, the Greenbackers are being inducted as Slatten Award winners as part of the 2021 Class so not nearly as meaningful as your accomplishment but as a 15+ year member of the club I will tell my grandkids I’m in and they won’t be none the wiser!!

Btw, here is the full 2021 class

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2021/5 ... -2021.aspx
I think this deserves its own thread, don't you? Congrats to all in the club. I bet the passing of Big Mike brought this (worthy) idea to their attention.

And you get to hang out with Cairo Santos, too (and the 1973 football team and others)!

Unfortunately I won't be able to congratulate y'all in person, as the 2020 and 2021 classes are being inducted completely separately. Ours is two weeks earlier.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Not surprising but the HOF Induction is off. I would expect that also means Morgan State is not getting played in New Orleans.
Again, I don't think either of these things are unexpected, but we did get the official postponement email of the HOF stuff today.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:46 am Not surprising but the HOF Induction is off. I would expect that also means Morgan State is not getting played in New Orleans.
Again, I don't think either of these things are unexpected, but we did get the official postponement email of the HOF stuff today.
are they trying to reschedule for y'all?

Or have they decided that trying to get you to New Orleans is just really bad for everyone? :green wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

MattK wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:31 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:46 am Not surprising but the HOF Induction is off. I would expect that also means Morgan State is not getting played in New Orleans.
are they trying to reschedule for y'all?

Or have they decided that trying to get you to New Orleans is just really bad for everyone? :green wink:
They are going to reschedule. :thumbsup:

I'd agree it's bad luck since it's been "postponed" twice now but the initial announcement wasn't until after the pandemic had started so it wasn't like it got canceled the first time, it was just never planned originally. While this doesn't apply to the other inductees, at least next year we can celebrate a nice round 30th anniversary of the team while at the induction.
waverider
Cornerstone

The 2021 induction has been “canceled” as well but I would think it will be rescheduled
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm The 2021 induction has been “canceled” as well but I would think it will be rescheduled
They made it very clear in the email that they absolutely will have a ceremony, this is not something where they will just say, "congrats you're in" and let it go.