Tulane 82 Southern 65

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Tulane 82 Southern 65

Post by tjtlja »

Lawson with 30. Now 6-1. Good win.

In addition, the freshman McGee scored 10. Ona Embo did not play?
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane 82 Southern 65

Post by long green »

Had a very large lead in the second half after an early SU run. Lawson put the team on his back early, had help later on. I left after the under 4 TO in the second half because the refs were holding us hostage with their whistles.

Ona Embo was not present today. McGee got some of his minutes and had 5 points that I saw.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

Ona Embo quit and headed back to France apparently. Nice to see his replacement step up today.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Bham Wave wrote:Ona Embo quit and headed back to France apparently.
:shock:

I guess he forgot to take his ball.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
murphwave
Coach Level

Post by murphwave »

Why did he wait around all this time just to leave now? Finish up degree in Fall?
BS '99
MBA 2007
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Bham Wave wrote:Ona Embo quit and headed back to France apparently. Nice to see his replacement step up today.
If true, I have no respect for him. Should have left over the summer so we could have had his spot.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

NJwave wrote:
Bham Wave wrote:Ona Embo quit and headed back to France apparently. Nice to see his replacement step up today.
If true, I have no respect for him. Should have left over the summer so we could have had his spot.
Unless and until details are released I’d hold your fire. Who knows, maybe there are family issues that grabbed his attention. People get sick, parents lose jobs. It happens.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

And kids throw temper tantrums :-)

Seriously he just did not look happy and Hunter seemed frustrated with him. May be best for all parties
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

TUPF wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Unless and until details are released I’d hold your fire. Who knows, maybe there are family issues that grabbed his attention. People get sick, parents lose jobs. It happens.
True. He is no longer listed on the roster on official site.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Too bad about ROE. That just leaves Zhang and Koka from Dunleavy era. As Hunter has proved to date, at least in MBB you can turn a program around in one year.

Key to winning was 19-0 run to end the first half. After that game was basically over. Another example of Hunter's teams putting runs together to put opponents away. For years we've watched it being done to Tulane. Nice to have it reversed finally.

Game was not as close as score. Garbage time yielded some highlight plays for SU against Tulane third stringers.

McGee looked good. If he keeps it up, we won't have a gap with ROE leaving.

Crowd was very quiet. I know a number of them were hungover but still. No Southern pep band nor SoundWave so Devlin still has a roof.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Days has been gradually eating most of Zhang's minutes and Koka is rarely on court. If Ali gets healthy they may not see much action either.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

NJwave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
NJwave wrote:
True. He is no longer listed on the roster on official site.
Just a short mention in the TP game story:
McGee played a season-high 18 minutes because junior point guard Ray Ona Embo left the team earlier in the week.
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... a1106.html
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

As much as I’ve liked Ono Embo as a player, he has always had a look of displeasure on him since arriving at Tulane. I thought it was an attitude either built from frustration or just some kind of French thing.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Hunter quote, “He called me and said he wanted to go back to France and be with his family,” Hunter said. “That’s all I’m going to say on it, so next man up.”

Dunleavy used his injury as an excuse all last year. It’s so refreshing to see Hunter’s attitude about it. It might be a blessing in disguise in the long run. Getting a freshman some meaningful minutes can’t hurt.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

NJwave wrote:Hunter quote, “He called me and said he wanted to go back to France and be with his family,” Hunter said. “That’s all I’m going to say on it, so next man up.”

Dunleavy used his injury as an excuse all last year. It’s so refreshing to see Hunter’s attitude about it. It might be a blessing in disguise in the long run. Getting a freshman some meaningful minutes can’t hurt.
Hunter probably helped him pack and drove him to the airport.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wave Revival wrote:
NJwave wrote:Hunter quote, “He called me and said he wanted to go back to France and be with his family,” Hunter said. “That’s all I’m going to say on it, so next man up.”

Well, there you have it. Fire away, NJwave.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

TUPF wrote:
Wave Revival wrote:

No. You were right. He is a kid and I’m sure has his reasons. No reason to trash him.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

NJwave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Wave Revival wrote:

No. You were right. He is a kid and I’m sure has his reasons. No reason to trash him.
Exactly, he didnt commit to Hunter. Honestly I thought something like this was going to happen, kinda thought it was going to be Zhang, Dunleavys guys were committed to Dunleavy far more than Tulane, I think we all know that deep down.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Based on timing then potentially ROE has dropped out of school too. (Academic calendar and courses can be weird today too. He could have finished all his work and not required exams either.)

We'll see but I take it at face value: sooner rather than later he is playing pro in Europe. Best wishes to him.

At least for today paraphrasing Hunter, McGee was happy to be next man up because he has bought in to HunterWorld.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wow. Coming on here late... I listened to the game streaming on the radio while putting up Christmas decorations today and not a single word was said about ROE.

That said, McGee seemed to play pretty well and apparently the coaches like the kid, based on the postgame comments.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I kept asking on the scoreboard about Ona Embo and didn't see him on the bench in either civvies or uniform during game

this opens up a scholarship next year and will get Nic Thomas and McGee more minutes.. I think we are a better team for it
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

One other point: Lawson played like an all AAC pick (even though it was SWAC competition.) If he keeps it up against the better opponents on our upcoming schedule, this could definitely be a more interesting season. May it happen.

As noted by others here, Lawson although a graduate "junior" is almost certainly one and done here. He is three months older than Melvin Frazier.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

The rigorous short rotation Coach Hunter deploys makes it almost like a soccer team. The bad news is that you are not in the top 7 players, you may not see a lot of game time. The good news is that if you play your way up, or someone gets hurt or leaves, the opportunity to make an immediate impact is right in front of you, as we've seen with Days and now McGee. You can go from 2 minutes to 20 in the blink of an eye.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

angrywavedad wrote:The rigorous short rotation Coach Hunter deploys makes it almost like a soccer team. The bad news is that you are not in the top 7 players, you may not see a lot of game time. The good news is that if you play your way up, or someone gets hurt or leaves, the opportunity to make an immediate impact is right in front of you, as we've seen with Days and now McGee. You can go from 2 minutes to 20 in the blink of an eye.
The bad news is that we could potentially see a "Frazier and Reynolds' last year" decline in February and March due to fatigue. The "core four" transfers (Lawson, Walker, Hightower, Thompson) are playing a LOT of minutes. While I understand that Hunter has a system and he's probably concerned with getting them as much time on-court together to gel, I'd almost like to see a larger rotation of players now so that those guys are not dragging in conference crunch time.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:The rigorous short rotation Coach Hunter deploys makes it almost like a soccer team. The bad news is that you are not in the top 7 players, you may not see a lot of game time. The good news is that if you play your way up, or someone gets hurt or leaves, the opportunity to make an immediate impact is right in front of you, as we've seen with Days and now McGee. You can go from 2 minutes to 20 in the blink of an eye.
The bad news is that we could potentially see a "Frazier and Reynolds' last year" decline in February and March due to fatigue. The "core four" transfers (Lawson, Walker, Hightower, Thompson) are playing a LOT of minutes. While I understand that Hunter has a system and he's probably concerned with getting them as much time on-court together to gel, I'd almost like to see a larger rotation of players now so that those guys are not dragging in conference crunch time.
Very fair point. It will be interesting to see what happens with minutes in this next phase of the season. None of your "core four" guys played these kind of minutes last season (Thompson - 26, Hightower - 17, Lawson - 10, Walker - 0) so it's been pretty clear the first phase of the season has been an acclimation situation for them. Lawson in particular seems to get stronger every game.