Tulane beats Houston

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Tulane beats Houston

Unread post by AO Sig »

Lots of fireworks late in the game; but Tulane holds on to win by 9
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane beats Houston

Unread post by PeteRasche »

What was that, 7 or 8 fouls in like 34 seconds? And have to wonder what Frazier said to get ejected because it certainly wasn't body language. Luckily Houston couldn't hit shots when they needed them, and Sampson was stupid enough to switch out of zone back to man in crunch time so Reynolds could hit that huge three.

Some progress. Scored a bit against the zone. Rebounded much better in the second half (clearly a halftime point of emphasis). And we even saw Sehic and Ajang in simultaneously, even if only briefly.

Good win.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We played really hard and great effort on the boards in the second half. Probably the most fun game I have seen us play in years. The game had a little of everything.

Daniels and Cam were huge late and Sehic played very well. Need to hit foul shots.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by austxwave »

I've never seen a team go from 3 fouls away from the bonus then into the bonus in the span of what 5 seconds? Then three technicals called....

Some really questionable officiating tonight, but we overcame the refs.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We are capable of playing with anybody in our league but just don’t have the consistency to do it every night.

Can we get Cam a 6th year by showing tape of Conroy’s offense and argue that wasn’t basketball?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

NJwave wrote:We are capable of playing with anybody in our league but just don’t have the consistency to do it every night.

Can we get Cam a 6th year by showing tape of Conroy’s offense and argue that wasn’t basketball?
Isn't that how Tanner got his extra year at Nebraska?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Thanks to the students who showed up tonight. Haven't seen the gym like that in years. Roll Wave!
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

gerryb323 wrote:
NJwave wrote:We are capable of playing with anybody in our league but just don’t have the consistency to do it every night.

I don’t know if they went with the have you seen the Price offense approach, but that was my understanding as well.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:

Look hiw that turned out for him
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

He’s turning pro or as I call it working out for months only to realize he will be starting his career behind a desk early.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Not saying it worked well!
Last edited by gerryb323 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

sr wrote:Thanks to the students who showed up tonight. Haven't seen the gym like that in years. Roll Wave!
Looked like a lot of fun. Even on TV, it felt electric.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Last edited by sr on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

LMAO my friend and so true!

Great win tonight against a very underrated team. We can play with anyone in the league when we rebound. Nobody wants to play us down the stretch. We are a PG and a rebounder away from being in the big dance. Think about how far we have come from a team that won only 6 games last year. Just remarkable how far these kids have come. Play with intensity every night and work those boards and we can beat anyone.
Tito
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tito »

Since most everything is frozen shut, we had a sizable student turnout - best of the season. They were treated to a fantastic game, too. Another 2 wins like this, maybe we could get the feel of those late 80s early 90s crowds. It definitely felt more exciting. Houston’s a solid team. We did a great job tonight.
At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Tito wrote:Since most everything is frozen shut, we had a sizable student turnout - best of the season. They were treated to a fantastic game, too. Another 2 wins like this, maybe we could get the feel of those late 80s early 90s crowds. It definitely felt more exciting. Houston’s a solid team. We did a great job tonight.
It's about time we won a game where the students showed up - and we have Mother Nature to thank as much as any previous wins! Houston isn't a marquee name in basketball, but anyone who looks deeper will see they're good this year and this was a good win.

We are currently in a 4-way tie for 5th place.

Unfortunately, the basketball team might be about to be forgotten by students, between an unfortunate schedule and Mardi Gras ramping up. The only "name" team we have at home for an entire month is Temple (and they're at the bottom of the conference, not that this matters in "name"). Otherwise, we play the "known doormats" (ECU and USF) at home, and we're on the road the rest of the time.
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

Daniels is fun to watch. Nice shot. Serious hops. Appears to have decent basketball IQ. Will be fun to see him develop.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Tito wrote:Since most everything is frozen shut, we had a sizable student turnout - best of the season. They were treated to a fantastic game, too. Another 2 wins like this, maybe we could get the feel of those late 80s early 90s crowds. It definitely felt more exciting. Houston’s a solid team. We did a great job tonight.
It's about time we won a game where the students showed up - and we have Mother Nature to thank as much as any previous wins! Houston isn't a marquee name in basketball, but anyone who looks deeper will see they're good this year and this was a good win.

We are currently in a 4-way tie for 5th place.

Unfortunately, the basketball team might be about to be forgotten by students, between an unfortunate schedule and Mardi Gras ramping up. The only "name" team we have at home for an entire month is Temple (and they're at the bottom of the conference, not that this matters in "name"). Otherwise, we play the "known doormats" (ECU and USF) at home, and we're on the road the rest of the time.
Pete I'm hoping Mardi Gras makes for a violently drunk raucous crowd.
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We are such an up and down team so who knows but I think 18-20 wins is a very realistic goal. Nobody would have guessed we were capable of that this year. There are 12 games left before the conference tournament and we are at 12 wins. We will be underdogs in road games at Houston, SMU, Wichita State and UCF and home against Cincy. We have revenge games at home against Memphis and at Tulsa. We are home against Temple and play USF and East Carolina twice each. It would take 6 of those 12 to get to 18 wins and finish 9-9 in league play. We would likely be the 6 or 7 seed at 9-9 and get Temple, USF, Tulsa or East Carolina in the tournament first round.
windywave
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:We are such an up and down team so who knows but I think 18-20 wins is a very realistic goal. Nobody would have guessed we were capable of that this year. There are 12 games left before the conference tournament and we are at 12 wins. We will be underdogs in road games at Houston, SMU, Wichita State and UCF and home against Cincy. We have revenge games at home against Memphis and at Tulsa. We are home against Temple and play USF and East Carolina twice each. It would take 6 of those 12 to get to 18 wins and finish 9-9 in league play. We would likely be the 6 or 7 seed at 9-9 and get Temple, USF, Tulsa or East Carolina in the tournament first round.
We play like the second half of last nigjt and we could make a deep run in the conference tourney and the NIT or daresay the Tourney
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

NJwave wrote:We are such an up and down team so who knows but I think 18-20 wins is a very realistic goal. Nobody would have guessed we were capable of that this year. There are 12 games left before the conference tournament and we are at 12 wins. We will be underdogs in road games at Houston, SMU, Wichita State and UCF and home against Cincy. We have revenge games at home against Memphis and at Tulsa. We are home against Temple and play USF and East Carolina twice each. It would take 6 of those 12 to get to 18 wins and finish 9-9 in league play. We would likely be the 6 or 7 seed at 9-9 and get Temple, USF, Tulsa or East Carolina in the tournament first round.
Nobody not a Tulane fan would have guessed. Some here did, even if they didn't directly post it. I am not surprised, after what I saw in practice during homecoming. Remember, today, 25 wins is what used to be 20... So 18 wins sounds great but is barely over .500 (whereas 20 used to be a de facto NCAA bubble number). Not knocking it, it's still an amazing improvement.

As you point out, there is a very legitimate path to 18. We ought to have at least 4 more in USF and ECU for sure, then we just need to steal 2 more out of a very winnable batch of about 4 or 5 other games Heck, if we figure out how to beat a zone defense consistently and focus on boards like the second half last night, 20 isn't a fantastical dream. And MD would get some COY whispers.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Tulane's chance of postseason probably comes down to conference tourney. It's about the shooting. But yes it could go on a hard run for three (or even four?) straight games. SMU did beat WSU last night on the road. Long shot but doable.

Meanwhile we could still see a winning conference record with more meaningful wins like last night and probably some more busts like Tulsa game at home when it shoots cold. Decent defense and rebounding are necessary conditions for good wins but superior shooting is the sufficient condition. It lacks the horses to win hard games usually where it shoots less than 45%.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

duplicate. Sorry.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Nobody not a Tulane fan would have guessed. Some here did, even if they didn't directly post it. I am not surprised, after what I saw in practice during homecoming. Remember, today, 25 wins is what used to be 20... So 18 wins sounds great but is barely over .500 (whereas 20 used to be a de facto NCAA bubble number). Not knocking it, it's still an amazing improvement.

As you point out, there is a very legitimate path to 18. We ought to have at least 4 more in USF and ECU for sure, then we just need to steal 2 more out of a very winnable batch of about 4 or 5 other games Heck, if we figure out how to beat a zone defense consistently and focus on boards like the second half last night, 20 isn't a fantastical dream. And MD would get some COY whispers.
You are correct regarding 20 wins. It wouldn’t get us even a look at the tournament as maybe not even NIT. They take all regular season conference winners that don’t get to tournament. That takes up some spots. Houston was 14-4 before last night and Joe Lunardi had them as one of last 4 in. That being said, 18-20 wins after winning 6 last would be a remarkable turn around. Dunleavy would have to be conference coach of the year. Everybody else is either right where expected or underachieved.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

I have to echo the comments about being impressed with the crowd.. the only excuse the season ticket holders get is the ice. The students were out in force and even the announcers commended them.

Speaking of the announcers, I love how Mike Adams mentioned coaching with Sampson at Washington State, talked about Sampson taking his Oklahoma team to the final four, mentioned Sampson's pro coaching... but seemed to omit the Indiana years! I was hoping he'd say "yeah, good thing I STOPPED coaching with him or I would have had a show cause as well!"

The second half of the game it appeared we were getting mugged constantly with very few calls... but enough to put Houston in the penalty and get their big freshman on the bench... but when I saw we only had 3 fouls late in the half, I accepted it as "letting them play"... until that full retard segment under 2 minutes when the refs were responding to Sampson's whine about the disparity in fouls. The Frazier fiasco could have been avoided... Melvin obviously was doing something.. was it enough to get T'ed up a second time? No.. but Melvin, you have to walk away or just stop. He had a rough night by his standards with only 8 points... got his pocket picked twice while driving to the hole in the second half... so I am sure some of it was his frustration. Heck, you can only guard Rob Gray Jr. for so long before you go nuts.

The announcers said it, some of us have said it... this team is FUN to watch. But we lose Cam after this season.. and we need CMD to bring in a Fabian White type talent next year just to maintain pace in the conference. I honestly hope a four star guy is on our radar!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest