quarterback

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

quarterback

Unread post by pearlriverwave »

we do not have a quarterback that can pass
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: quarterback

Unread post by visualmagic »

He was terrible tonight.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

pearlriverwave wrote:we do not have a quarterback that can pass
We do. But he was awful tonight
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Terribly inconsistent.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

I believe we are currently in the "post-passer" era. High school offenses along with colleges have dumbed down the position so much. I don't blame the kids for not being great passers, by that I mean having accuracy and decison making ability. Now it's Athletes with live arms. CWF is looking for athletes with arms. Until he changes his system that is our lot in football for better or worse. I am not complaining, but we need to be clear on what a Quarterback actually is in this system.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Poseidon wrote:I believe we are currently in the "post-passer" era. High school offenses along with colleges have dumbed down the position so much. I don't blame the kids for not being great passers, by that I mean having accuracy and decison making ability. Now it's Athletes with live arms. CWF is looking for athletes with arms. Until he changes his system that is our lot in football for better or worse. I am not complaining, but we need to be clear on what a Quarterback actually is in this system.
Regardless of what a QB is or what system we are in, the performance at QB today was bad.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Agreed. CWF has brought 4 Qbs on campus and none have show or been reported to be anywhere close to average passers. CWF's SHSU offense had average passer or better. When does it become clear that this is not that offense. 71 pass yards vs Navy, 54 vs oklahoma, 103 vs army, 165 vs Tulsa (62 on a jump ball), and 36 against FIU.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

Does this mean that we really need to push to get Lindsay Scott? He's tearing up the Mississippi JC conference, although he did lose this weekend.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I’ve officiated about 20 high school games so far in eastern Maryland and Virginia this season. I don’t think I’ve seen one mildly competent passing QB in any of those games. I know it’s a small sample but maybe it’s a trend and competent running/passing QBs aren’t as readily available as one might think.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

Lindsey Scotts team lost to a team quarterbacked by Jack Abraham,a Tulane commitment and Mississippi player of the year that WF convinced not to come. Both had really good numbers .Abraham was recruited by CJ and interested in the medical field. rjc
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

rjc wrote:Lindsey Scotts team lost to a team quarterbacked by Jack Abraham,a Tulane commitment and Mississippi player of the year that WF convinced not to come. Both had really good numbers .Abraham was recruited by CJ and interested in the medical field. rjc
So Abraham is playing at a JC ... thought he signed with a 4 year program.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Fritz didn't run him off, he merely gave Jack Abraham the straight dope about what he wanted to do on offense. Abraham wanted no part of this offense. He may have his skills but running the ball ten or more times a game is not something he's interested in.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
rjc wrote:Lindsey Scotts team lost to a team quarterbacked by Jack Abraham,a Tulane commitment and Mississippi player of the year that WF convinced not to come. Both had really good numbers .Abraham was recruited by CJ and interested in the medical field. rjc
So Abraham is playing at a JC ... thought he signed with a 4 year program.
Went to La Tech for a year first.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

By explaining to Abraham what this offense was about he did convince him not to come.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

So he should have lied to the kid instead?

please stop, you're starting to embarrass yourself now. Abraham was never going to be the solution thankfully for him, he can find the right place given his skill set.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Why is everyone so obsessed with the pocket passers who got away (Lee/Abraham) when:

1) That doesn't fit the innovative offense we are trying to establish/run

2) both have already washed out of one location (Abraham) or on their way to washing out (Lee) since moving on from us?

I remember both players fondly, and wish them both well. I don't long for either of them.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:Why is everyone so obsessed with the pocket passers who got away (Lee/Abraham) when:

2) both have already washed out of one location (Abraham) or on their way to washing out (Lee) since moving on from us?

I remember both players fondly, and wish them both well. I don't long for either of them.
I agree that they don't fit the offense, but apparently neither to Brantley or Banks do if they can't pass the a lick. I think what people see is that when we run the ball effectively its not because defenses are distracted by our threat at QB to run, but rather we block a designed run to the RB well. All of our long runs and many short ones have come off of designed runs by the RBS with no threat of the QB running. That said, the logical thing to ask is why don't we have a QB back there that can pass just some, not great, but consistently OK. Lee and Abraham were in hand. They aren't world beaters, but there is an argument that they do pass noticeably better than Banks & Brantly, who are CWF's hand picks.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Poseidon wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Why is everyone so obsessed with the pocket passers who got away (Lee/Abraham) when:

I agree that they don't fit the offense, but apparently neither to Brantley or Banks do if they can't pass the a lick. I think what people see is that when we run the ball effectively its not because defenses are distracted by our threat at QB to run, but rather we block a designed run to the RB well. All of our long runs and many short ones have come off of designed runs by the RBS with no threat of the QB running. That said, the logical thing to ask is why don't we have a QB back there that can pass just some, not great, but consistently OK. Lee and Abraham were in hand. They aren't world beaters, but there is an argument that they do pass noticeably better than Banks & Brantly, who are CWF's hand picks.
Soooooooo. Wouldn't teams drop 2 more in coverage if they knew the QB is no threat to run in a spread option offense?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

folks are just frustrated and going crazy :-D

and as much as I like Tanner he was a walking poster for Concussion Protocol. In college, at Tulane at this point in time, give me a dual threat QB every time.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

If only we had one. :lol:
We deserve so much better
WaveProf
Cornerstone

The verdict is still out on Banks as a passer. Last week raised serious doubts. But he’s also shown signs of being exactly the kind of quarterback this system needs. That is more than can be said for Brantley

Instead of knee-jerk summations, let’s be patient and see how banks looks the next few weeks
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Fritz keeps saying that this is only Banks fourth (fifth?) game playing this type of Offense. He said it again on his Coach's Show the other night, which tells me he knew it would be a learning experience getting him to do what this Offense needs him to do, but just as clearly he thinks Banks is his best bet.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

Banks had a couple of bad passing games last year at JC. He had one where he was 4 of 17 and another where he was 6 of 19. He also had more good games. I think that he has a good chance to be good. I just think that he needs to work on short and mid-range passes and not run more than 10 or 12 times a game.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Soooooooo. Wouldn't teams drop 2 more in coverage if they knew the QB is no threat to run in a spread option offense?
I read what your saying, but I am a little foggy on what you mean by that. Are yo saying that if we had a better passer it would be harder to pass? Or easier to run?
GreenieBacker wrote:folks are just frustrated and going crazy :-D

and as much as I like Tanner he was a walking poster for Concussion Protocol. In college, at Tulane at this point in time, give me a dual threat QB every time.
I'm not on the 'why did we get rid of Tanner' side, but he was noticeably better passer than anyone we have. That is haunting us a little. The ghost of tanner lee.
WaveProf wrote:The verdict is still out on Banks as a passer. Last week raised serious doubts. But he’s also shown signs of being exactly the kind of quarterback this system needs. That is more than can be said for Brantley

Instead of knee-jerk summations, let’s be patient and see how banks looks the next few weeks
AT Independence CC Banks averaged 148 passing yards a game 9 tds - 7 ints, 68 yards rushing. Maybe that and this season's output are his ability's ceiling. They are curiously similar. http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball ... eer&pos=qb
Compare that to Scott this year. http://www.emccathletics.com/sports/fba ... ew=profile 307 ypg passing, 18 td - 6 int. 58 ypg rushing. 4 tds

By objective measures these are two different types of QB's. Just more what if's, I know, I know. I am just really trying to figure out what CWF an Rouse's ideal QB is. It 15 passes for 150 a game what they want?

The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Yeah, sure. But Scott didn't want to come here. For that matter Ty Pignone(?), who went o Maryland was better than Scott. But he didn't want to come here either. Banks did.