Basketball team mentioned this am on the news..

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Basketball team mentioned this am on the news..

Unread post by AO Sig »

Apparently we are not the only college team playing in Europe. News reports showed that four universities were in Barcelona when the incident went down. All of the athletes are accounted for. They mentioned that Clemson's team is returning today.

Thank goodness that all were unharmed and are safe. I can imagine what the families of the players have been going through, based on what my family went through when I was in Mexico during the Mexico City earthquake in the 1980's
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Re: Basketball team mentioned this am on the news..

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

In yesterday's blog, it was stated that other than having dinner in the hotel last night instead of going out to a restaurant, the team planned to go on with all scheduled activities, including today's game.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

TU77CAL82 wrote:In yesterday's blog, it was stated that other than having dinner in the hotel last night instead of going out to a restaurant, the team planned to go on with all scheduled activities, including today's game.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Alot to be said for demonstrating you will not allow terrorists to change your expected daily routine. UA made a different decision than Tulane.

I found Tulane blog yesterday somewhat incongruous and even tone deaf by treating the terror attack almost literally as a footnote. Yes the Tulane yacht party was well before the terror attack but its prominent juxtaposition with the brief following mention of a nearby mass murder was not artfully balanced.

Perhaps the blog should have been simply, "We're all safe. We decry these criminals and pray for and support the victims and our new friends in Barcelona and Spain. We're not going to be intimidated into changing our plans and lives. Game on tomorrow." Save the yacht pictures for a retrospective in the coming days and weeks.

I'm ok with Tulane staying and finishing but I wish the blog had been handled differently. Again the editorial judgment could have been better here by not ignoring the elephant in the room.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Bay---I would have moved the order of the narrative around to both start, and end, with the terror attack. Make it the focus. But I would have still included the yacht trip. Its important for very much the same reasons its important that they stayed.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

This is an unfortunate situation and thank goodness everyone is okay. THAT is the start and end of this story. Wait, that's wrong. Looking out for the young men in their charge is the start and end of this story for the staff. Who the hell knows how they'd react in their place? If the blog strikes a false or hollow note, say so and move on. Perhaps it will be corrected. No one deserves any more criticism than that.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:Alot to be said for demonstrating you will not allow terrorists to change your expected daily routine. UA made a different decision than Tulane.

I found Tulane blog yesterday somewhat incongruous and even tone deaf by treating the terror attack almost literally as a footnote. Yes the Tulane yacht party was well before the terror attack but its prominent juxtaposition with the brief following mention of a nearby mass murder was not artfully balanced.

Perhaps the blog should have been simply, "We're all safe. We decry these criminals and pray for and support the victims and our new friends in Barcelona and Spain. We're not going to be intimidated into changing our plans and lives. Game on tomorrow." Save the yacht pictures for a retrospective in the coming days and weeks.

I'm ok with Tulane staying and finishing but I wish the blog had been handled differently. Again the editorial judgment could have been better here by not ignoring the elephant in the room.
Troy Dannen referred to it as an "incident" on Twitter and someone "corrected" him.

As for the blog, I don't understand the need to hide the fun parts. I have reason to believe no Tulane people were involved in orchestrating the attack so there's no reason to act any differently. From my understanding the team was nowhere near the attack and there's no reason to play victim by altering facts.

In other words, the blog has no responsibility to say any more than "the team is accounted for and unharmed". No reason to mention it anymore.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Team attended a memorial service this morning in Barcelona at a jam-packed Basilica. Photos of it on Twitter and on Instagram by Ramon Sposato, asst. coach.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

I don't know how it will translate into wins and losses during the season, but I believe that being close to events like this by many guys who have never even been overseas is beneficial not only to their growth as citizens, but also as a major team bonding event. I am happy they are all safe, and I am happy that Tulane spent the money to send the team over there. What an education!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

The travel abroad amidst potential dangerous situations reminds me: if you are traveling abroad, I highly recommend taking advantage of a free registration with the US State Department. My company required it, along with its own security requirements. That way at least someone knows to count noses in the event of trouble or even if you get injured or sick.

https://step.state.gov/step/
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:The travel abroad amidst potential dangerous situations reminds me: if you are traveling abroad, I highly recommend taking advantage of a free registration with the US State Department. My company required it, along with its own security requirements. That way at least someone knows to count noses in the event of trouble or even if you get injured or sick.

https://step.state.gov/step/
Well that and you had a posse of contractors keeping you safe
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Troy Dannen referred to it as an "incident" on Twitter and someone "corrected" him.
For the life of me, I can't understand what was wrong with his use of the word "incident" on the radio show. Haven't seen the tweet.

Either way, Tulane handled this admirably. All kids safe and accounted for, continued on with a clear, fair, calm evaluation of the situation, didn't run home (a la Arizona), and attended the memorial service the next morning. Class all the way.