Coach Jewett Inteview on NOLA

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Coach Jewett Inteview on NOLA

Post by gerryb323 »

Cheerleader wrote:My grandson will be a hs senior next year and plays travel ball all over Texas during the summer, so I'll have a better idea of how good he is when that is over. He is 6'3, 210 and ripped. He's coming out with a video soon that will be sent to colleges, etc. He has a 4.0 grade average from Lake Travis HS in Austin, so that is not a problem. So, I am paying a lot more attention to these summer leagues around the country where the college guys play. Who pays for the players' expenses in the Cape Cod League, the Cal Ripken league, etc.? How do they get selected? Where do they live? How much attention to the travel leagues do the college coaches pay? When do they make decisions on hs seniors?
So I can speak only a little to the cape league. The players usually also have summer jobs to pay for their expenses. They often stay with a host family who volunteers to house the player for free. I believe they are recruited by the cape teams for the league. And I believe it's also only current college players (so not rising freshmen).
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

gerryb323 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:My grandson will be a hs senior next year and plays travel ball all over Texas during the summer, so I'll have a better idea of how good he is when that is over. He is 6'3, 210 and ripped. He's coming out with a video soon that will be sent to colleges, etc. He has a 4.0 grade average from Lake Travis HS in Austin, so that is not a problem. So, I am paying a lot more attention to these summer leagues around the country where the college guys play. Who pays for the players' expenses in the Cape Cod League, the Cal Ripken league, etc.? How do they get selected? Where do they live? How much attention to the travel leagues do the college coaches pay? When do they make decisions on hs seniors?
So I can speak only a little to the cape league. The players usually also have summer jobs to pay for their expenses. They often stay with a host family who volunteers to house the player for free. I believe they are recruited by the cape teams for the league. And I believe it's also only current college players (so not rising freshmen).
The better summer leagues are all set up this way except there are definitely no summer jobs. Playing baseball is their summer job. Doesn't cost the kid a penny. Contracts are signed by the player and the team. Temporary contracts are also signed to fill spots of kids in the NCAA tournament. Many coaches like to send kids to organizations they trust and where players will be developed. Pierce had a good relationship with Santa Barbara. Jeremy, Lex, and Country played there. If you look at Santa Barbara's current roster for this summer, a lot of Texas and Texas Tech kids on that team. I think you can only have four players from the same college on one team. Contracts should be signed early in the fall to guarantee spots. I know some summer coaches who will not take your players if you continually send them bad players. The better summer leagues are heavily scouted by MLB. Some kids are recruited by summer teams and many are lobbied by their college coaches. The Cape is the best league to play in, but there are several very good leagues and some individual teams that can play with anyone.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Cheerleader, if he will be a senior, this summer is crucial for him. A lot of scholarships have already been awarded and some schools will be filled up at certain positions. Recruiting starts in their sophomore year usually. Travel ball is huge. Get with a top organization and there are plenty in the area your Grandson plays. There are several events your grandson's travel team must consider attending. The East Cobb event in Atlanta, the East Coast Tourny (don't remember where this one is), and the Stanford showcase. Due to college baseball recruiting budgets, every college attends these mega showcases plus every MLB team. Also, the Jupiter, FL showcase in late October before the early signing date is a must. Great competition at this event.

Sending film to schools of interest and getting feedback from them is a great idea. Attending the university's summer showcase camps is a way to perform in front of their staff for several days. Playing for Lake Travis is a plus given the reputation of that program. I would presume he has already been seen by many college coaches. Good luck!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
The better summer leagues are all set up this way except there are definitely no summer jobs. Playing baseball is their summer job. Doesn't cost the kid a penny. Contracts are signed by the player and the team. Temporary contracts are also signed to fill spots of kids in the NCAA tournament. Many coaches like to send kids to organizations they trust and where players will be developed. Pierce had a good relationship with Santa Barbara. Jeremy, Lex, and Country played there. If you look at Santa Barbara's current roster for this summer, a lot of Texas and Texas Tech kids on that team. I think you can only have four players from the same college on one team. Contracts should be signed early in the fall to guarantee spots. I know some summer coaches who will not take your players if you continually send them bad players. The better summer leagues are heavily scouted by MLB. Some kids are recruited by summer teams and many are lobbied by their college coaches. The Cape is the best league to play in, but there are several very good leagues and some individual teams that can play with anyone.
I figured you would know more about this! Although, the cape league players certainly have (at least historically) taken summer jobs to make some side money. Of course if they don't need to work for money (because their family has it) they wouldn't need a job. When I was little, I remember there was always a player or two working bagging groceries or something like that. And then there was the time that I was working at the grocery store and a cape player came through the self checkout and stole some razor blades and took a swing at the security guard who caught him in the parking lot. Fun times
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone