Ed Daniels Speaks Again

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Ed Daniels Speaks Again

Unread post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Um I can walk into any company in the country and I will get a longer look than anyone with a Coastal Carolina degree.
Except for perhaps in SC. Meanwhile LSU diplomas do well in Louisiana and mid-South, Fresno State in Central Valley, Marshall in WVA, Kent State in Cleveland and so forth. You can get a good education at a decent price at all these schools.

Tulane diploma travels nationally as you note. If you don't plan to move, LSU diploma works fine. You go more than 300 miles from here, you might as well have graduated from NDSU for all the doors it will open.

Tulane may only be a safety school for the PTB but the point is its on their list. LSU is not. That is a simple fact.

Branding matters. Sort of like being in a P5 to a prospective HS athlete.
Violent agreement here. If you plan to stay locally, and a lot of folks do, it becomes a self licking ice cream cone. I had not even heard of a college here on the MD Eastern Shore that all the locals think is the be all and end all. Of course, all the families intermarry, they think dragons will eat them if they go over the Annapolis bridge to Washington DC, and they think Old Bay seasoning on everything is the height of culinary adventurousness. I am sure it's the same everywhere. I think 300 miles is generous for a lot of schools. If you go to the largest state schools and stay in state, you are fine, but if you have a Salisbury University diploma, better know that a 50 mile circle is probably your limit.
I somewhat agree, but I see a dangerous trend, in that employment recruiters seem to be giving credit for having a degree from "a P5 University." What started out as a delineation for power football schools soon spread to basketball and then other sports. I've seen evidence that it is now spreading to academics as well! It's all about name recognition. The "ESPN effect" has given more visibility to the athletically successful schools, and that visibility seems to resonate with the general public more than the US News rankings do.
Dude take off the tin foil hat and use it to wrap the corn for grilling ... P5 schools are usually the flagship in the state meaning they are better than other schools academically
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Wavemania
President's Circle

Unread post by Wavemania »

[
:roll: Why do I care about the Cubs? Northwestern? The Blackhawks? I am part of the tribe and therefore I care.[/quote]

I see your reasoning, and somewhat agree. But you are comparing that with pro sports teams who have a real cahnce at turning it around and winning a title. And then you show a "P5" university that actually recruits top student athletes locally almost always. Once in a while Tulane will do that. In fact rarely will you see generation after generation of family athletes attend Tulane. ( Forte family in one of the only one that comes to mind)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Wavemania wrote:[
:roll: Why do I care about the Cubs? Northwestern? The Blackhawks? I am part of the tribe and therefore I care.
I see your reasoning, and somewhat agree. But you are comparing that with pro sports teams who have a real cahnce at turning it around and winning a title. And then you show a "P5" university that actually recruits top student athletes locally almost always. Once in a while Tulane will do that. In fact rarely will you see generation after generation of family athletes attend Tulane. ( Forte family in one of the only one that comes to mind)[/quote]

Um I think you really don't know much about Northwestern athletic history
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Roto, I don't exactly know your situation, but "need based income" does not count against the baseball scholarship total. And Tulane will not stack the two. You get one or the other. Tulane will not allow both like other private institutions.
Will not or can not?
Windy, Tulane University definitely Will Not. It is a Tulane policy.

I will give you a situation that happened to us. Pierce knew that 3 of my 4 kids were in college at the beginning of my son's junior year. I get a call from him right before the late signing period asking if I wouldn't mind applying for need based income. I said I wouldn't mind at all. Well the need based income came in at a higher amount than the baseball scholarship money they were awarding my son that year. So we took need based income because it was greater. In effect, it freed up scholarship money for baseball. We had to pay the balance. It was one or the other. There was no way they would combine the two. For me, it was a tough decision because my son loved Tulane and he had a lot of options where the total out of pocket was minimal. At Rice, it was just about free and the same applies for a lot of other privates. And Tulane has the money. They are just cheap when it comes to athletics.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Roto, I don't exactly know your situation, but "need based income" does not count against the baseball scholarship total. And Tulane will not stack the two. You get one or the other. Tulane will not allow both like other private institutions.
Will not or can not?

I will give you a situation that happened to us. Pierce knew that 3 of my 4 kids were in college at the beginning of my son's junior year. I get a call from him right before the late signing period asking if I wouldn't mind applying for need based income. I said I wouldn't mind at all. Well the need based income came in at a higher amount than the baseball scholarship money they were awarding my son that year. So we took need based income because it was greater. In effect, it freed up scholarship money for baseball. We had to pay the balance. It was one or the other. There was no way they would combine the two. For me, it was a tough decision because my son loved Tulane and he had a lot of options where the total out of pocket was minimal. At Rice, it was just about free and the same applies for a lot of other privates. And Tulane has the money. They are just cheap when it comes to athletics.
How can we expect to compete for players on a level field if we do this? We have been fortunate to have young men like Jeremy come in spite of this. If places like Rice and Northwestern ( and presumably TCU, Wake forest and other privates) do this, we should start. Also, how can we retain a first rate coach with his hands tied like this. It's a miracle Rick Jones stayed as long as he did.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

windywave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Um I can walk into any company in the country and I will get a longer look than anyone with a Coastal Carolina degree.
Except for perhaps in SC. Meanwhile LSU diplomas do well in Louisiana and mid-South, Fresno State in Central Valley, Marshall in WVA, Kent State in Cleveland and so forth. You can get a good education at a decent price at all these schools.

Tulane diploma travels nationally as you note. If you don't plan to move, LSU diploma works fine. You go more than 300 miles from here, you might as well have graduated from NDSU for all the doors it will open.

Tulane may only be a safety school for the PTB but the point is its on their list. LSU is not. That is a simple fact.

I disagree with your premise. I get a longer look in a Chicago firm than a U of I or DePaul grad. (Not saying alumni affiliation doesn't hurt but I know I've gotten interviews strictly on Tulane being on my CV
Windy, Aren't majority if not most of DePaul students from Chicago area? Only point is they find employment in that region or the university would not be the largest Catholic University in U.S. Related example: San Jose State grads who are almost all from California do very well finding jobs in Silicon Valley and Bay Area. It doesn't mean they elbow out the Ivy League or Tulane grads. They have a massive edge on the LSU grads for jobs in the Bay Area. That's the point.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

I disagree with your premise. I get a longer look in a Chicago firm than a U of I or DePaul grad. (Not saying alumni affiliation doesn't hurt but I know I've gotten interviews strictly on Tulane being on my CV
Windy, Aren't majority if not most of DePaul students from Chicago area? Only point is they find employment in that region or the university would not be the largest Catholic University in U.S. Related example: San Jose State grads who are almost all from California do very well finding jobs in Silicon Valley and Bay Area. It doesn't mean they elbow out the Ivy League or Tulane grads. They have a massive edge on the LSU grads for jobs in the Bay Area. That's the point.
40% are in state according to their website.
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

Whether you think Yulman Stadium is the answer or not (I don’t), you can’t go back to the Superdome, at least not yet.

If you are winning, and the Big 12 calls, you may have to go back. Consider it progress

No, dumbass, you expand Yulman.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Wavemania wrote:Well Pete. how about Coastal Carolina. Their budget was half of what Tulane's is.
The administration sets the proce of tuition. Since engineering got gutted, I just can't see paying that kind of money for a liberal arts degree and be in debt up m ass for years to come.Unless one choses the medical field, Tulane degree isnt worth much now for the debt you incur.
I just can't believe For an institution that is suppose to be in the top tier Universities, Tulane's administration is just PLAIN frick STUPID when it comes to having an athletic program. The older I get, the less likely I wil bother buying tickets to see the same old results every year.
https://www.coastal.edu/financialaidand ... /cost.html

No one will miss you
Who the frick would pay 50K a year to go that doody hole school?
To be fair, almost all schools are costing that much now. For the fun of it, I looked up the school formerly known as USL. It's almost exactly the same. $24K for in-state, and $ 37K for out of state (including housing, board, etc.). The days of going to a 4-year state school for 8K or 10K are over it seems.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

When someone pays $37k for ULL, we've officially overinflated the college bubble.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:When someone pays $37k for ULL, we've officially overinflated the college bubble.
Well, they have 17,500 students and 1,100 are out of state, so......
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

Wavemania wrote:Well Pete. how about Coastal Carolina. Their budget was half of what Tulane's is.
The administration sets the proce of tuition. Since engineering got gutted, I just can't see paying that kind of money for a liberal arts degree and be in debt up m ass for years to come.Unless one choses the medical field, Tulane degree isnt worth much now for the debt you incur.
I just can't believe For an institution that is suppose to be in the top tier Universities, Tulane's administration is just PLAIN frick STUPID when it comes to having an athletic program. The older I get, the less likely I wil bother buying tickets to see the same old results every year.
I share your frustration about Engineering, but I believe our AD will not produce the same old results. Don't leave; I will miss you, but get positive!!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

I for one agree with what Ed Daniels says about Tulane athletics. To his credit he is about the only writer in NO who gives a darn about Tulane. All the rest fine us hardly news worthy. Some one posted earlier that he just recycles the same article . Well the same problems remains and not much has been done to address them. Results on the field serve as proof. I feel that Tulane over the years has felt that their academic success would drag athletics with it. Well it rarely has and our lack of athletic success can be blamed on our unrealistic policy regarding athletics and academics. It's not the way it should be but that's the state of D1 athletics today and for that matter over the last 50 plus years. Tulane will not have any more success in changing this mind set than the Tulane president Rufus Harris had in 1950 when he started our downfall in athletics by thinking that he could change it. Something has to be done and soon because our fan base is nearly non existent and if you have no fans attending your athletic events way should you have a program. rjc
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Personally, I don't buy into all the Woe is Us mentality. Like I wrote elsewhere, I haven't been this optimistic about football and MBB in a very long time. And I could not be happier with who we have at the top (Dannen). I understand that the Eeyore crowd will always find something to be morose about but honestly, maybe if you step off the ledge and give events a chance to develop, you might find something that will cheer you up.

Oh, and Ed is so out of touch with Tulane that his stories are nothing more than re-hashes from the past. When there was reason to worry.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Hark!
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Voila
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Unread post by tumbuuh »

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

Tulane does in many cases combine need-based aid with athletic scholarships. I don't know your exact situation because you didn't provide numbers, but it is not a blanket rule at Tulane that you can't have both.

And a larger point: seeing this idea of Tulane having self-imposed, voluntary restrictions on things like athletes+academics or scholarships/financial aid really needs to have a broader conversation with someone at Tulane. Because they don't exist, and they haven't for several years now. If you care for more detail, please feel free to find me at a tailgate or something, but the administration at Tulane is doing a lot to help athletics along - certainly more than it's done in our lifetimes. And if Tulane can't provide a kid with money, it's because they don't have it. Sadly, not a whole lot of alumni donate to Tulane, and our endowment is still smaller than most of our peers, so Tulane doesn't have scholarship money lying around.
Last edited by tumbuuh on Mon May 29, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Unread post by RollWaveRoll »

tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

Tulane does in many cases combine need-based aid with athletic scholarships. I don't know your exact situation because you didn't provide numbers, but it is not a blanket rule at Tulane that you can't have both.

And to make a larger point: everyone still bringing up Tulane having self-imposed, voluntary restrictions on things like athletes and academics or scholarships/financial aid really needs to have a conversation with anyone in the know at Tulane. Because they just don't exist, and they haven't for several years now. If you really care for more detail, please feel free to find me at a tailgate or something, but the administration at Tulane is doing a lot to help athletics along. And if Tulane can't provide a kid with money, it's because they don't have it to spare. Sadly not a whole lot of alumni donate to Tulane, and our endowment is still smaller than most of our peers, so Tulane doesn't have scholarship money to throw around, particularly need-based ones.
For baseball they do not. We always have a few people coming on here saying they do....and that is not true and it confuses people on here. You are being lied too.

We have had Rick jones say they don't. We have had jake Gautreau say they don't. We have had David Pierce say they don't. We have had Sean allen say they don't. We have had a parent of a current player say they don't. We have had cannizaro ask for it during interview. We have had SELA coah and former player ask for it in interview. Troy dannen has come out said they don't and that's why he chose jewett because he had some creative Idea to work around it.

We do not stack period and it's killed the baseball program.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Unread post by tumbuuh »

RollWaveRoll wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

And to make a larger point: everyone still bringing up Tulane having self-imposed, voluntary restrictions on things like athletes and academics or scholarships/financial aid really needs to have a conversation with anyone in the know at Tulane. Because they just don't exist, and they haven't for several years now. If you really care for more detail, please feel free to find me at a tailgate or something, but the administration at Tulane is doing a lot to help athletics along. And if Tulane can't provide a kid with money, it's because they don't have it to spare. Sadly not a whole lot of alumni donate to Tulane, and our endowment is still smaller than most of our peers, so Tulane doesn't have scholarship money to throw around, particularly need-based ones.
For baseball they do not. We always have a few people coming on here saying they do....and that is not true and it confuses people on here. You are being lied too.

We have had Rick jones say they don't. We have had jake Gautreau say they don't. We have had David Pierce say they don't. We have had Sean allen say they don't. We have had a parent of a current player say they don't. We have had cannizaro ask for it during interview. We have had SELA coah and former player ask for it in interview. Troy dannen has come out said they don't and that's why he chose jewett because he had some creative Idea to work around it.

I'm tired of trying to set the record straight on this one, but as I've said before, I do have reason to know, and this is not as cut-and-dry as even coaching staffs have thought and passed onto people.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

tumbuuh wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

I'm tired of trying to set the record straight on this one, but as I've said before, I do have reason to know, and this is not as cut-and-dry as even coaching staffs have thought and passed onto people.
I feel like the guy in this thread with a son on the team would also have reason to know.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Unread post by tumbuuh »

visualmagic wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

I feel like the guy in this thread with a son on the team would also have reason to know.
Yes, he has experience in his family's case, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Look, if you want to get to know me in person in order to determine if you want to believe me or not, go ahead. I can assure you I have reason to know as well.

The bottom line is this: kids with athletic scholarships are legally entitled to need-based aid if their athletic scholarship and any academic scholarships don't already meet their need. Tulane can't take federal aid away even if it wanted to. The problem is likely that a lot of kids who play baseball don't really have that much need, if you follow federal calculations (they're not very forgiving).
windywave
Emerald Circle

tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

And a larger point: seeing this idea of Tulane having self-imposed, voluntary restrictions on things like athletes+academics or scholarships/financial aid really needs to have a broader conversation with someone at Tulane. Because they don't exist, and they haven't for several years now. If you care for more detail, please feel free to find me at a tailgate or something, but the administration at Tulane is doing a lot to help athletics along - certainly more than it's done in our lifetimes. And if Tulane can't provide a kid with money, it's because they don't have it. Sadly, not a whole lot of alumni donate to Tulane, and our endowment is still smaller than most of our peers, so Tulane doesn't have scholarship money lying around.
Can I find you at a tailgate just to have a beer? I'll bring my own since I'm not a mooch

ETA a lot of alumni are turned off by the doody He who shall be named implemented
Last edited by windywave on Mon May 29, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#cousins don't count
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Unread post by tumbuuh »

windywave wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

Can I find you at a tailgate just to have a beer? I'll bring my own since I'm not a mooch
Lol yes, and I may even have beer you can drink
windywave
Emerald Circle

tumbuuh wrote:
windywave wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

Fine but you'll have to drink one of mine then too. I like being that guy walking around with an open 12 pack because it looks cool
#cousins don't count
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Unread post by tumbuuh »

windywave wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
windywave wrote:
tumbuuh wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Will not or can not?

Fine but you'll have to drink one of mine then too. I like being that guy walking around with an open 12 pack because it looks cool
Fair