Devon Walker Celebrity Basketball Game: September 4, 2016

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUStrozier13
Rookie

Devon Walker Celebrity Basketball Game: September 4, 2016

Post by TUStrozier13 »

Hello all,

My name is Derrick Strozier. I'm a Tulane alumnus, former member of the Tulane Green Wave football team (2010-2014), and I also spent a short time playing for the New Orleans Saints. I was referred to YOGWF by Tom Hopkins, who informed me that this would be an excellent avenue to reach a great deal of Tulane fans and supporters. Many of you may not know who I am but I'm sure you know my good friend and former teammate Devon Walker. I've been working very closely with Devon and his mom as he's just created his very own non-profit (The Devon Walker Foundation). The mission of Devon's non-profit is to enhance the quality of life for individuals with spinal cord injuries through adaptive equipment, physical therapy, and advances in medical treatment. He aims to create global awareness and education towards the subject in efforts to prevent and cure the condition. In order to jumpstart the funds in his foundation, Devon has put together a Celebrity Basketball Game taking place at the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse on Tulane University's campus. All proceeds from the game will benefit The Devon Walker Foundation and a portion of the ticket sales will be donated to the New Orleans Police and Justice Fund (NOPJF). The game will consist of Celebrities vs. NOPD/NOFD. In addition to the game, there will also be a 3 point shootout Tulane's very own Mike Dunleavy Sr., skills challenge, and half court shootout featuring Tulane Athletic Director Troy Dannen. Tulane Football's senior class will be in attendance signing autographs/taking pictures and head coach Willie Fritz will make an appearance as well.

The game will be taking place Sunday, Sept. 4th 2016.
Doors will open to the public at 5:30pm
There will be a reception before the game at 4pm taking place at Tulane's 1834 Club for players and sponsors of the game.

Besides the names mentioned on the flyer, New Orleans Saints players Brandin Cooks, Delvin Breaux, Brandon Coleman, and Chris Manhertz will also be in the building and participating in the event just to name a few. Robert Meachem and our very own Lester Ricard will also be participating in the event and are believed to be strong MVP candidates for the Celebrity team.

As you can see so far, the event is definitely shaping out to be a good one. In efforts to get the word out about the game, we've met with a few news stations and radio stations. WDSU and WWL want to do a story/interview on Devon to catch up with him on where he is now in life and for him to promote his event. iHeart Media wants to get his story out and promote the game as well. As of now, Devon and his mom have been spending money out of their own pockets to put this game together in hopes to generate $100,000 from the event and jumpstart the funds available for The Devon Walker Foundation. In order to cover the proposal iHeart Media sent for Devon to promote the game and to cover the uniforms that the participants of the game will be wearing, Devon and his mom will need $5,000 for those expenses. I am writing you guys in hopes that we can raise this money and take that burden off of their shoulders as his mom has been out of work for the past couple of years since Devon was injured in order to take care of him.

If you are able to contribute funds and donate to The Devon Walker Foundation, please send checks to:

The Devon Walker Foundation
PO Box 907
Destrehan, LA 70047

OR

You can simply visit devonwalker.org and donate from there.

We hope all of you are able to come out and attend the event in efforts to make it a success. We are also still accepting celebrities to play in the game in fill roster spots as well silent auction items. If you are anyone you know would like to contribute in either of these ways, please contact me by cell 504-377-2189 or by email at derrick.strozier@ml.com

To find out more info about the event and Devon's foundation, please visit devonwalker.org as a basic version of his website is now up and running which you can view from your desktop or mobile device. Thank you all in advance for your help as it truly means a lot. Devon is very appreciative of all the love and support the Tulane fans and community has shown him and continues to show him to this day. Have a great remainder of the day everyone and as always, ROLL WAVE!!!!!
Donny Z
President's Circle

Re: Devon Walker Celebrity Basketball Game: September 4, 20

Post by Donny Z »

Thanks Derrick. Great cause that I know many here will attend and/or support. Appreciate you coming on here to let us know and please keep us up to date on the event and other ways to help Devon and his family out.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Derrick, thanks so much for posting this. Devon continues to inspire so many people. I will be making a donation.

What can we do to get Iheart Media to waive the fee and find a local company to donate the uniforms? Perhaps throw their name in the advertising? It seems a shame for any company to profit off of this.
TUStrozier13
Rookie

Post by TUStrozier13 »

NJwave wrote:Derrick, thanks so much for posting this. Devon continues to inspire so many people. I will be making a donation.

What can we do to get Iheart Media to waive the fee and find a local company to donate the uniforms? Perhaps throw their name in the advertising? It seems a shame for any company to profit off of this.

Unfortunately we couldn't find any local companies to donate the uniforms but we did get pretty decent pricing for the ones we are ordering. Next year we will definitely seek more options in getting the word out through radio stations and other media outlets but we were a little pressed for time and with iHeart media covering so many different stations and demographics in the New Orleans area, Devon felt it was the best route way to go.
TUStrozier13
Rookie

Post by TUStrozier13 »

Donny Z wrote:Thanks Derrick. Great cause that I know many here will attend and/or support. Appreciate you coming on here to let us know and please keep us up to date on the event and other ways to help Devon and his family out.

Thank you as well for the support!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Board Mods: How about making this a sticky for the next several weeks through game date so that it's always at the top of things for visitors to see upon entering the website?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Of course we know who you are and thanks for posting this here. Wishing you and Devon success. Roll Wave.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

sr wrote:Of course we know who you are and thanks for posting this here. Wishing you and Devon success. Roll Wave.
This. +1
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

take your cell number off the post dude
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:take your cell number off the post dude
He posts this out of love because spambots scan Internet forums looking for phone numbers and use them for evil purposes. No disrespect.

Thanks for posting here Mr. Strozier, we enjoyed watching you play, and +1 on the well wishes for you and the Walker family.

Pete Rasche
Tulane Basketball Class of 1994
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Super Bump.

This is a great cause to support and many key Tulanians will be there and easily accessible.

You can ask Dunleavy how his recruiting is going and what his philosophy is as he prepares for UNC. You can also see under pressure if he has truly the best shot in the building.

You can ask Fritz about the game last night and what's upcoming. (I'm guessing he and some of his staff will be there and I know alot of the football team will attend.)

You can ask Dannen about the Big XII. All he will tell you is that it's headquartered in Dallas but at least he will appreciate your interest. Meanwhile I'm sure he will be more than happy to sell you football and basketball season tickets just in case you've forgotten to buy those yet.

Let's support Devon and his Foundation's good work and the Wave.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

... and you can support it from afar. Double up on a nice dinner out and send that second amount to the Foundation.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

bump
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OK. Final Super bump.

I especially encourage those Tulane fans who want to meet and talk to our coaches, admins and athletes, please recognize this is a world class opportunity to do so while supporting an outstanding cause.

You don't have to accept anonymous internet speculations about why Dunleavy recruits like he does or how Fritz coaches or who Dannen is scheduling next. You can get it from them directly. Moreover if you don't feel comfortable approaching them, then go talk to the assistants. I expect many will be there and you won't have to work through a Big Boss queue to get your question answered.

Whether you wear green eye shades or are a Kushner more-than-miserable Wave fan, this is your chance to reinforce or abuse your prevailing attitudes about Tulane athletics.

These are all great folks who will happily chat you up. There are not many occasions where having a smaller fan base is helpful but this is one of them.

Finally make sure you go talk to Devon and his family. It's the best you'll feel all month after a conversation with them.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Just an idea, but should we either (1) transform this thread to make it something more general about the Devon Walker fund or else (2) un-sticky it? We have a lot of stickeys (which are both useful for organization and yet distracting when there are lots), so to have one for a specific event that is now a half year in history, seems a bit extreme. Just my .02
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote:Just an idea, but should we either (1) transform this thread to make it something more general about the Devon Walker fund or else (2) un-sticky it? We have a lot of stickeys (which are both useful for organization and yet distracting when there are lots), so to have one for a specific event that is now a half year in history, seems a bit extreme. Just my .02
I agree. Unsticky this one. Now with two posts like this, it can be moved to the Complaints board where Prof should start a thread with the same request. Could be merged with the other DW thread if it has sentimental value to some.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Maybe it can be merged with the "announcements" thread above, or maybe we can get a new section related to special announcements.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?