Conference re-alignment discussion & news- All-Encompassing

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Conference re-alignment discussion & news- All-Encompassing

Post by JtS »

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/news

Big East commissioner John Marinatto has resigned, leaving the league without a leader as the conference works to find its footing amid a radically shifting landscape.

The conference announced the move in a statement released Monday morning.

"Our recent expansion efforts have stabilized the conference for the long term, and we are likewise well positioned for our very important upcoming television negotiations," Marinatto said in the news release. "As a result, I felt this was the right time to step aside and to let someone else lead us through the next chapter of our evolution."

A source said Marinatto's exit had been building for weeks. The source said the basketball members in the Big East were upset that they had no say in the expansion process.

Big East presidents had also determined they wanted a leader with a different type of personality, vision and creativity, according to league sources. A Big East source said Marinatto knew last week his tenure was ending.

Cincinnati president Gregory Williams, who is heading the search committee for a new commissioner, declined to answer whether Marinatto was forced out by the presidents, referring to the statement from the Big East.

Williams said the league would be looking for someone who "can take the Big East to the next level."

"We're excited about where we are right now," Williams said. "We feel the conference is stronger than it's ever been. We have some great new teams we are bringing in, there's a huge opportunity for us to build, so we're looking for someone who can facilitate that and make that happen."

Marinatto wanted to accept a TV deal a year ago but was shot down by a 12-4 vote with Georgetown and Pittsburgh leading the charge not to accept.

Joseph Bailey, a recruiting firm executive who has in the past held positions as CEO of the Miami Dolphins and administrative VP of the Dallas Cowboys, will assume the commissioner's post on an interim basis while a search is conducted, the conference said.

"Joe is a proven leader who will do a terrific job guiding the conference through this time of transition," said Judy Genshaft, South Florida president and chair of the Big East, in the statement. "His experience as a manager and his knowledge of the sports industry make Joe uniquely qualified."

Two logical candidates to replace Marinatto permanently, according to sources, are Nick Carparelli, the Big East's senior associate commissioner, and Tim Pernetti, Rutgers athletics director, who spoke with the conference when the job was last open. The sources said Big East officials will strongly consider a candidate who has a deep and intelligent understanding of television contracts and who has presence and strong opinion in dealings with BCS leaders who are helping to determine structure and revenue sharing of the next football postseason system.

Marinatto became Big East commissioner in July 2009, succeeding Mike Tranghese, who said his successor "inherited a very, very difficult situation."

"I said that when I left that's one of the reasons why I did leave," Tranghese told The Associated Press on Monday. "The conference was susceptible to be raided."

"When something goes wrong, the person in that chair is the one to take the hit."

Since Tranghese's retirement, the league has lost three prominent members -- Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia -- and perhaps its spot as one of the top-tier conferences in the country.

CBSSports.com has reported Marinatto was asked to resign Sunday night.

"I know I speak for the entire conference when I express my sincere gratitude to John for his leadership and dedicated years of service," Genshaft said. "John helped build the Big East into what it is today, and played a critical role in our successful expansion efforts, and for all of that we thank him."

The Big East seemed to be in good shape just one year ago. The league added TCU, one of the top non-AQ programs in the country, and was looking to expand further. But dominoes fell in other conferences, and Pitt and Syracuse decided to jump to the ACC in September, destabilizing the conference.

Other Big East schools then began to scramble in attempts to find other homes. After Missouri and Texas A&M decided to move to the SEC, the Big 12 turned to TCU -- which never played a down as a Big East member -- and West Virginia.

That led to dueling lawsuits between West Virginia and the Big East -- the Mountaineers sued to get out of the required 27-month waiting period before exiting. The Big East filed its own suit to keep West Virginia in the league.

A financial settlement was reached, and the Big East was left scrambling for an eighth member for 2012. Temple was added at the last minute. Meanwhile, Boise State and San Diego State had also been added as football-only members, along with SMU, Central Florida, Houston and Memphis for 2013. Navy is set to join in 2015.

In addition, Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich was a close confident of Marinatto and his pending departure has pushed the Cardinals to further consider the Big 12 if they can get an invitation from the current 10-team league, a source said.

"You're never surprised in our business about things, but I would be less than honest to say I saw this coming," said Bill Bradshaw, Temple's athletic director. "Yes, in our business you're never surprised. But John's a first-class individual, straightforward. A good man. High integrity. A nice person. Whenever someone resigns, it's something you reflect."

Also, Connecticut is known to have coveted a move to the ACC.

But Huskies athletic director Warde Manuel said he was shocked to learn of Marinatto's resignation Monday, and that it would not affect his school's affiliation with the Big East.

"Our relationship is with the conference, and we'll look forward to working with the leadership in the conference to move forward," Manuel said.

Connecticut provided Marinatto with some of the conference's biggest moments during his tenure, winning national championships in men's basketball in 2011 and in women's basketball in 2009 and 2010.

Manuel said Monday that UConn has no current plans to leave.

"I'm happy in the Big East," he said. "That's where we're going to stay and compete and do what we do."

Multiple industry sources said that one of the reasons the Mountain West Conference didn't expand beyond 10 football members with the addition of San Jose State and Utah State was in case Boise State wanted to return.

Boise State is slated to put its other sports in the WAC in 2013. But with the WAC facing a decline in membership, the Broncos are looking at the Big West, where the Aztecs' non-football teams will play, mulitple sources have said.

Marinatto had come under increasing fire for not doing enough to keep the league from falling apart. While those additions have kept the league viable, without its flagship schools, the Big East has been left with a major perception problem.

With the BCS headed for major changes in the next postseason cycle, it remains unclear whether the Big East will be among the top conferences when it comes to revenue distribution from BCS money.

Automatic qualifying status is already gone, which many believe could have a major impact on the Big East and the addition of new members Boise State and San Diego State.

But league sources say they believe the schools will play if the leadership negotiates a strong enough television deal. The conference is set to begin negotiating a new television deal in September.

While the Big East is in line for a significant bump in TV revenue, it remains unclear just how big the boost will be with the newest additions. Few people in the industry expect the Big East to garner what the ACC has gotten, for example. One concept that some Big East members believe should occur is the "granting of television rights" for 10 or 12 years, which has proven to be a more effective way to limit departures than high exit fees, sources said.

The Big East has its spring meetings set to begin May 21 in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

The conference also announced that as part of an effort to maximize its media rights and branding, it had retained The Boston Consulting Group to review its organizational design and structure.

Information from ESPN's Joe Schad and The Associated Press was used in this report.
'03Greenie
President's Circle

Re: Conference re-alignment discussion & news- All-Encompass

Post by '03Greenie »

I can't say I'm surprised that he's been forced out, but how it's apparently happened is a bit strange, and I'm not sure what it means for the future of their conference. If news reports are to be believed, it was the basketball schools that were unhappy, mainly for being on the sideline during expansion discussions. Yet, if you listened to the chatter on the internet (yeah, I know...) all the departing schools thought of him, and his Providence roots, as a basketball guy who didn't have the best interest of the football school's at heart, and the Memphis addition seemed to be entirely driven by Basketball. One of those train's of thought almost has to be wrong, or, more likely, both are and Marinatto just wasn't able to appeal to both groups' varied interests at the same time.

I also saw a report somewhere that Marinatto and Tom Jurich, Louisville's AD, had a great working relationship and Marinatto's departure has heightened the resolve of Louisville to get out. I'm not sure I buy this. Seems that Louisville was determined to get out as soon as Pitt and Syracuse left. And now with automatic qualification for whatever replaces the BCS out the window, I imagine the urgency can't get much higher.

One thing is for sure, the Big East better hit a home run with their upcoming TV negotiations. If they don't, I could see the conference falling apart quickly. Of course, even with a good TV deal, if either the Big 12 comes calling for Louisville or the ACC comes calling for one or more of UConn/Rutgers/USF, the Big East will split apart at the seams. At the very, very least, we need to be in a position to be an obvious choice to rejoin are former conference mates when that happens.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Your own sticky for this? Really?

:thumbdown:

:jerry:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

bigmoneytx wrote:Your own sticky for this? Really?

+1

Football schedule doesn't rate, but Big Least realignment does? On the TU board?

:angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:

+1

Football schedule doesn't rate, but Big Least realignment does? On the TU board?

:angel:
Being the boss hath its pluses.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Big East having problems and losing teams isn't good for us...they'll just take more of ours and mire us deeper into a sunbelt-type league and the BE will continue to be what C-USA was a decade+ ago, sans us.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

SO we are finally going to the Big East afterall
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Really!! With all due respect, talk about 'the Lost Planet'.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

GSx wrote:Big East having problems and losing teams isn't good for us...they'll just take more of ours and mire us deeper into a sunbelt-type league and the BE will continue to be what C-USA was a decade+ ago, sans us.
Except one thing: There is no real incentive to join the BE now that there is no more AQ status.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Sophandros wrote:
GSx wrote:Big East having problems and losing teams isn't good for us...they'll just take more of ours and mire us deeper into a sunbelt-type league and the BE will continue to be what C-USA was a decade+ ago, sans us.
Except one thing: There is no real incentive to join the BE now that there is no more AQ status.
TV contracts $$$ - that's why. For now anyways.

ACC schools just signed on with ESPN for another 15 years. each school will get 17 Million dollars.

changing conferences for 98% of the country has little to do with competition level and
it has much more to do with the cold hard truth - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Sophandros wrote:
there is if their TV deal is much better than ours.

I'll edit this post when I find it again but Mark Blaudschun, who covers college sports for the Boston Globe, wrote a story yesterday where he opined that a total breakup of the Big East is now highly possible, if not probable.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

long green wrote:I'll edit this post when I find it again but Mark Blaudschun, who covers college sports for the Boston Globe, wrote a story yesterday where he opined that a total breakup of the Big East is now highly possible, if not probable.
If that were to happen, I wonder how many of the schools that recently "better dealed" their previous conferences to jump to the Big East would try to worm their way back in. "Hey, we were just kidding!"
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Some tweets that just went out
Pac 12 schools earning $20 million per year in new TV deal,
Big 12 schools earning $20 million in new deal,
ACC's new deal $17 mil per
Given landscape, can Big East get $10 million per year for its football programs?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

none, I think. There's a strong chance that Boise and Sd State could go back to the MWC. I think Houston and SMU will either stay with the defectees in whatever form they take OR will try to hook on with the MWC. They won't come back. UCF and Memphis will stay with the defectees IMO. If those four wanted back in we'd have to be insane not to take them.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

bigmoneytx wrote:Some tweets that just went out
Pac 12 schools earning $20 million per year in new TV deal,
Big 12 schools earning $20 million in new deal,
ACC's new deal $17 mil per
Given landscape, can Big East get $10 million per year for its football programs?
they shouldn't, and the big hangup has to be that UL is a gone pecan and everyone knows it. If they bail and the hoops schools want a split, there's no sense in Boise and SD State hanging around. If they got that kind of deal it would probably be loaded with provisos.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Sophandros wrote:
Yes there is. Better competition, better TV deals, more familiar competition to the fan base that we need so desperately to get back..
That's like saying that now, or before, there's no difference between C-USA and the sunbelt. There's a HUGE difference.

It's the ole "prisoner's dilemma" situation in this too. Who blinks first. If you don't go, and the top teams do go, then you're stuck in the sunbelt...so it's almost like you have to go to avoid being in a total league meltdown. Heck, had Lou and Cincy stayed back in 02 or whenever, we could have forced the league to merge with us. The only way to avoid that is a massive buyout, which I don't think we have.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

If we pay attention,Image all of these issues, ESPECIALLY MONEY have enormous effect on our future.

Case in point -

USA TODAY- Bringin' the buzz on sports
By Bob Donnan
Long-term: ESPN lands ACC TV rights through 2027

ESPN has entered into a long-term relationship with North Carolina and the rest of the ACC.

ESPN announces yet another major long-term deal to help it dominate the TV tonnage of big-time college sports and keep would-be TV rivals from getting an opening: It has extended its TV deal with the Atlantic Coast Conference through 2027.
ESPN's right fees are expected to rise from the league's 12 schools each getting about $13 million per year to the 14 schools in the expanding league getting about $17 million. ESPN will get new rights, including an additional 30 men's basketball games annually and 14 more conference-controlled football games. Also included, ESPN will be able to televise three Friday ACC football games each season with Boston College and Syracuse each hosting one of those. And, ESPN will also get an afternoon or evening game on Thanksgiving.

And with new speculation echoing previous speculation that ESPN (and Fox) have locked up a long-term TV deal with the Big 12, this seems likely: There isn't much room for other general sports channels -- like NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network or a possible new sports channel from Fox -- to have access to the college sports tonnage that can help fill up a cable channel. ESPN already has long-term deals with the Pac-12, Southeastern Conference and Big Ten.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 6wVhetYuSq

Did ACC Teams Get Ripped Off With New ESPN TV Contract?

Chris Smith, Forbes Staff

It was reported today that the Atlantic Coast Conference signed a long-term extension of its TV rights agreement with ESPN. The former 12-year, $1.86 billion deal ran through the 2022-23 season. The new contract extends ESPN’s rights to ACC broadcasts through the 2026-27 season, and also gives the network a package of new perks:

ESPN will get new rights, including an additional 30 men’s basketball games annually and 14 more conference-controlled football games. Also included, ESPN will be able to televise three Friday ACC football games each season with Boston College and Syracuse each hosting one of those. And, ESPN will also get an afternoon or evening game on Thanksgiving.

USA Today‘s report says that the rights fees are expected to pay $17 million to each of the 14 conference schools. That means the total deal is worth about $238 million per year, an annual increase of more than $80 million from the previous contract, and $3.6 billion over the contract’s 15 year life. The new deal was expected, given the conference’s recent expansion.

The ACC’s addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse is intended to turn the conference into a basketball powerhouse. Pitt has missed the NCAA tournament just once since 2001, and Syracuse has made it in eight out of the last ten years. The two teams have combined for ten Sweet Sixteen appearances in that time, and they now join other strong squads like Duke, Florida State and North Carolina. But each of those schools will make less from the new TV deal next season than their counterparts in the Big 12 and Pac-12.

The Big 12 has reportedly agreed to a new deal with ESPN and Fox, said to be worth a combined $2.6 million over 13 years, or about $200 million annually. It’s a smaller annual value than the ACC’s deal, though when split among the Big 12′s ten teams it is worth $20 million per conference member, a cool $3 million more than each ACC school will take home. The Pac-12′s $2.7 billion TV deal takes effect next season and pays $225 million annually, or about $19 million per team. So why did the ACC agree to less per school, especially after offering ESPN a host of expanded rights?

It’s possible that conference officials felt pressured into signing a new TV deal in order to keep up with the rest of the field, particularly with the SEC on the verge of agreeing to what is sure to be a blockbuster contract renegotiation with CBS. There may also have been pressure from within the ACC, with schools threatening to flee for greener pastures if the conference didn’t lock down a new deal sooner than later. Or perhaps it’s a far simpler answer, like that ACC schools don’t draw the same football viewership as those in the Big 12 and Pac-12.

Whatever the case may be, the ACC is certainly hoping that its new deal is enough. If not, the conference may go the way of the Big East as it helplessly watches its teams go running for the hills.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/ ... -contract/
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

JtS wrote:

If we pay attention,Image all of these issues, ESPECIALLY MONEY have enormous effect on our future.

Case in point -

USA TODAY- Bringin' the buzz on sports
By Bob Donnan
Long-term: ESPN lands ACC TV rights through 2027

ESPN has entered into a long-term relationship with North Carolina and the rest of the ACC.

ESPN announces yet another major long-term deal to help it dominate the TV tonnage of big-time college sports and keep would-be TV rivals from getting an opening: It has extended its TV deal with the Atlantic Coast Conference through 2027.
ESPN's right fees are expected to rise from the league's 12 schools each getting about $13 million per year to the 14 schools in the expanding league getting about $17 million. ESPN will get new rights, including an additional 30 men's basketball games annually and 14 more conference-controlled football games. Also included, ESPN will be able to televise three Friday ACC football games each season with Boston College and Syracuse each hosting one of those. And, ESPN will also get an afternoon or evening game on Thanksgiving.

And with new speculation echoing previous speculation that ESPN (and Fox) have locked up a long-term TV deal with the Big 12, this seems likely: There isn't much room for other general sports channels -- like NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network or a possible new sports channel from Fox -- to have access to the college sports tonnage that can help fill up a cable channel. ESPN already has long-term deals with the Pac-12, Southeastern Conference and Big Ten.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 6wVhetYuSq

Did ACC Teams Get Ripped Off With New ESPN TV Contract?

Chris Smith, Forbes Staff

It was reported today that the Atlantic Coast Conference signed a long-term extension of its TV rights agreement with ESPN. The former 12-year, $1.86 billion deal ran through the 2022-23 season. The new contract extends ESPN’s rights to ACC broadcasts through the 2026-27 season, and also gives the network a package of new perks:

ESPN will get new rights, including an additional 30 men’s basketball games annually and 14 more conference-controlled football games. Also included, ESPN will be able to televise three Friday ACC football games each season with Boston College and Syracuse each hosting one of those. And, ESPN will also get an afternoon or evening game on Thanksgiving.

USA Today‘s report says that the rights fees are expected to pay $17 million to each of the 14 conference schools. That means the total deal is worth about $238 million per year, an annual increase of more than $80 million from the previous contract, and $3.6 billion over the contract’s 15 year life. The new deal was expected, given the conference’s recent expansion.

The ACC’s addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse is intended to turn the conference into a basketball powerhouse. Pitt has missed the NCAA tournament just once since 2001, and Syracuse has made it in eight out of the last ten years. The two teams have combined for ten Sweet Sixteen appearances in that time, and they now join other strong squads like Duke, Florida State and North Carolina. But each of those schools will make less from the new TV deal next season than their counterparts in the Big 12 and Pac-12.

The Big 12 has reportedly agreed to a new deal with ESPN and Fox, said to be worth a combined $2.6 million over 13 years, or about $200 million annually. It’s a smaller annual value than the ACC’s deal, though when split among the Big 12′s ten teams it is worth $20 million per conference member, a cool $3 million more than each ACC school will take home. The Pac-12′s $2.7 billion TV deal takes effect next season and pays $225 million annually, or about $19 million per team. So why did the ACC agree to less per school, especially after offering ESPN a host of expanded rights?

It’s possible that conference officials felt pressured into signing a new TV deal in order to keep up with the rest of the field, particularly with the SEC on the verge of agreeing to what is sure to be a blockbuster contract renegotiation with CBS. There may also have been pressure from within the ACC, with schools threatening to flee for greener pastures if the conference didn’t lock down a new deal sooner than later. Or perhaps it’s a far simpler answer, like that ACC schools don’t draw the same football viewership as those in the Big 12 and Pac-12.

Whatever the case may be, the ACC is certainly hoping that its new deal is enough. If not, the conference may go the way of the Big East as it helplessly watches its teams go running for the hills.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/ ... -contract/
It's all about the football they are a hoops conference plain and simple.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

[quote]Big 12 Expansion: Florida State, Clemson Rumors Denied By Texas Officials[/quote]

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... in/2257937
lundigras
Navigator Level

Boise State, Louisville reportedly mulling Big East exit str

Post by lundigras »

More conference unrest. I wonder how/if this will impact CUSA
Boise State, Louisville reportedly mulling Big East exit strategies

The Big East needs a new commissioner and, more important, a new television contract fast.

Boise State and Louisville reportedly are mulling their Big East exit strategies. And it’s pretty obvious those may not be the only two schools wary about the league’s future and searching for other options.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... egies.html
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

there's little doubt in my mind that the Big East at some point, maybe more than once, approached Tulane about joining the Big East. And Tulane's Administration turned them down. I think Cowen has, for some time now, has believed that the AQ status would go away and that it would mean that the Big East would eventually implode. And now it looks like they will.

Wow......imagine being schools like SMU, Houston, USF.......
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

The well-worn joke used to be that there was nothing...

Post by Baywave1 »

lundigras wrote:More conference unrest. I wonder how/if this will impact CUSA
Boise State, Louisville reportedly mulling Big East exit strategies

The Big East needs a new commissioner and, more important, a new television contract fast.

Boise State and Louisville reportedly are mulling their Big East exit strategies. And it’s pretty obvious those may not be the only two schools wary about the league’s future and searching for other options.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... egies.html
in the world more limited than to be George Steinbrenner's limited partner in the Yankees ownership. I think it has now been matched if not trumped in that there is nothing in the world more limited than to be Louisville's conference partner (think Missouri Valley, Metro, CUSA and now Big East.) If a second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience, what should your partners think about entering a fifth arrangement with these guys?
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

GreenieBacker wrote:there's little doubt in my mind that the Big East at some point, maybe more than once, approached Tulane about joining the Big East. And Tulane's Administration turned them down. I think Cowen has, for some time now, has believed that the AQ status would go away and that it would mean that the Big East would eventually implode. And now it looks like they will.

WOW ..... imagine them being still way above Tulane. :wink:
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:there's little doubt in my mind that the Big East at some point, maybe more than once, approached Tulane about joining the Big East. And Tulane's Administration turned them down. I think Cowen has, for some time now, has believed that the AQ status would go away and that it would mean that the Big East would eventually implode. And now it looks like they will.

My thinking may be simplistic but I think it holds water:

Our own destiny is controlled by ourselves over who we are affiliated with. In other words, succeed on on the field and conference affiliation will take care of itself. Continue to fail on the field and our fate will be sealed.

We must plan and play to win. Anything less is useless.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Source told @CBSSports Boise met w/MWC; still hasn't withdrawn from MWC. No longer Big East bound?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... t-big-east
The Broncos have signed a contract to join the Big East so they would have to pay a $5 million exit fee if they did not join the Big East before July 1, 2013. If the Broncos leave the Big East on or after July 1, 2013, they must provide 27 months notice and pay a $10 million exit fee.
Boise should wait. They can go when they want but doing it now might be a mistake