For Tulane, execution will be key at Army

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
bigmoneytx

For Tulane, execution will be key at Army

Post by bigmoneytx »

Scott Kushner
Special to the Advocate

http://theadvocate.com/sports/951562-64 ... ll-be.html
Predictability has been a popular topic among an anxious Tulane fan base this week, after the Wave’s 48-27 loss to Duke last week, spurred by the comments of Blue Devils’ safety Matt Daniels who told the (Burlington, N.C.) Times-News he knew what play Tulane was going to call when it lined up.

“We knew them like the back of our hands,” Daniels told the newspaper. “We knew what routes they were going to run based on their alignment, their formation, what personnel was in.”

Toledo responded by pinning his offensive struggles on his team’s poor execution, rather than the perception of telegraphed play-calling. While Toledo has openly admitted his system is based on establishing the running game to set up play-action passes, he said he doesn’t believe the plays he called caused the lack of offensive production (2.5 yards per carry).

“We came out with three different formations,” Toledo said. “Were they watching practice? I don’t know. We didn’t play good, and it had nothing to do with the plays. Trust me. It had to do with us not blocking people and us not separating from people and not catching the ball. Then on defense, we just didn’t do the right thing.”
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: For Tulane, execution will be key at Army

Post by ml wave »

Wow, three whole formations? No wonder we didn't execute well. That's just too much to expect anyone to remember. Maybe this week we should dial it back to one or two formations.
mwm74
Breaker Level

Post by mwm74 »

bigmoneytx wrote:Scott Kushner
Special to the Advocate

http://theadvocate.com/sports/951562-64 ... ll-be.html
Predictability has been a popular topic among an anxious Tulane fan base this week, after the Wave’s 48-27 loss to Duke last week, spurred by the comments of Blue Devils’ safety Matt Daniels who told the (Burlington, N.C.) Times-News he knew what play Tulane was going to call when it lined up.

“We knew them like the back of our hands,” Daniels told the newspaper. “We knew what routes they were going to run based on their alignment, their formation, what personnel was in.”

Toledo responded by pinning his offensive struggles on his team’s poor execution, rather than the perception of telegraphed play-calling. While Toledo has openly admitted his system is based on establishing the running game to set up play-action passes, he said he doesn’t believe the plays he called caused the lack of offensive production (2.5 yards per carry).

“We came out with three different formations,” Toledo said. “Were they watching practice? I don’t know. We didn’t play good, and it had nothing to do with the plays. Trust me. It had to do with us not blocking people and us not separating from people and not catching the ball. Then on defense, we just didn’t do the right thing.”

The fact that CBT is tightening up on the "tweeting" etc. at practice tells me that the bolded statement above has been affecting his sleep. Somebody has figured out how to read exactly what our team is doing... this is never a fun revelation. What lengths will the opposition go to to gain an unfair advantage? What says you, Bill Belechick?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=37
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

Can someone explain to me this 3 formation thing. Certainly we ran more than 3 formations. What in the world is he talking about??
Roll Wave Roll!!!
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Post by TPSTulane »

Bham Wave wrote:Can someone explain to me this 3 formation thing. Certainly we ran more than 3 formations. What in the world is he talking about??
Punt, Pass and Kick??????? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I believe he was saying we lined up in 3 new formations that we hadn't lined up in yet this year. But there was a lot of the usual too. If you watch the games or watch tape it's not hard to figure out what we're doing, especially since he has broken each RB down into packages. Robert Kelley's package, for instance, is very predictable. No doubt we need to trust these young players to run more plays or else we'll continue to be predictable.
This one belongs to the Wave.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU23 wrote:I believe he was saying we lined up in 3 new formations that we hadn't lined up in yet this year. But there was a lot of the usual too. If you watch the games or watch tape it's not hard to figure out what we're doing, especially since he has broken each RB down into packages. Robert Kelley's package, for instance, is very predictable. No doubt we need to trust these young players to run more plays or else we'll continue to be predictable.
I understood it to mean 3 new packages as well...CBT makes a point though...If our WRs could get off blocks and get separation, it shouldn't matter if the defense knows the route...Same with running the ball...I am all for making it a little less predictable, but sticking up for players and saying it isn't their fault is ridiculous...
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

Toledo has little flexibility -- he doesn't adapt to the situation, sticks with basic WC scheme come hell or high water -- like Scelfo with the short swing passes over and over and over..... He isn't a master of surprise, that's for sure. When the reverse was called against Duke, I almost fainted. And, of course, nothing similar to that risk-taking play was tried again.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

well, after hearing the coach's show last night, I realized the whole "package" thing...It sounded like they were introducing the "LeBeau package" this weekend against Duke when referring to the reverse, then added, "but he got hurt and we had to change things"....
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

These comments about "execution" being the problem are pure genius from Coach Toledo. He is tricking Army into thinking that we will use the same formations and plays from each as we have been doing. They will be really surprised when we run new plays from these formations and use some new formations. He is clever like a fox by not tipping his hand and admitting that Duke knew what plays we were going to run. This is simple pure genius!!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight