Fall Practice

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Fall Practice

Post by wavedom »

Private Joker wrote:
wavedom wrote:We can't write this season off b/c of the belief that next year will be a big break through year. We need to overachieve this season while we have this defense intact. I know many keep pointing to next year but we are going to lose 8 key players off the defense.
Who's saying that? I certainly am not. I fully expect us to be in every game in the 4th quarter, except maybe Oklahoma.
I certainly did not say you were. However others clearly gloss over this season in their post and then point to next year as a big break through year. I believe this is a critical year for our football program. it needs to demonstrably show progress in order to impress recruits, fans and media. There needs to be a sense of urgency to have this offense be much better than just better than last year so that we can take advantage of our defense while we have it.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

long green wrote:
wavedom wrote:We can't write this season off b/c of the belief that next year will be a big break through year. We need to overachieve this season while we have this defense intact. I know many keep pointing to next year but we are going to lose 8 key players off the defense.
that last sentence is overdoing it. Yes, we do have some good seniors but of that group only Parry and Ade are so good that I can say their replacement next year won't be as good. At least a couple of those guys will be replaced by better players. And more of them.
Not overdoing it at all. We lose our entire front 4. Sean Wilson is a very good player and will be a big loss. Eldrick Washington has been coming on and will no longer be in Tanzel's shadow. He will impress this year. Then we lose a good one in Carroll at end. We lose a good LB in Marbley who I project is going to have a good year. Luke Jackson is also good and will play significant roles at end and LB this year. Then we lose Franklin who is a very good player. As to their future replacements we just don't recruit players yet who can step right in. They need time to develop. So that group is going to be hard to replace. All the angst this year over losing two defenders will be dwarfed by the angst over what we are going to lose after this season.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

wavedom wrote:However others clearly gloss over this season in their post and then point to next year as a big break through year. I believe this is a critical year for our football program.
To be fair, EVERY year is a critical year for our football program. This season is no different.
Plan your work, work your plan.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I agree but I think much more so this season. If we don't do well again a lot of our better commits won't become signees and the program won't have much chance to rebound. We need to impress NOW.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:It's no coincidence that 9 of our 14 commits are either DL (5) or OL (4). Two important areas of need, more so on the OL.

Keeping Diaz healthy this season is a must. We were a different team when he went out. Also, we finally have a QB that isn't a sitting duck behind the line. This should help by not asking the line to hold blocks longer than they are capable and when they do break down, the QB has the ability to allude pressure and keep plays alive.
Different team when he went out? Diaz was hurt in game 3...so he played in a blowout against an overmatched Southern and a game against Wake Forest where we couldn't score.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Doesn't sound like the offensive line is making much progress per Coach Fritz. With two true freshmen pushing for playing time, our offense will probably be comparable to last year. OL is probably the one position you don't want true freshmen starting. Physically and mentally it is a position that takes time to develop. Just hope the QB's stay healthy.
One bad practice against teammates who know the plays and you say they aren't making progress? Yeah, it's disappointing to hear they had a bad day and that the defense was dominating, especially when we are in a situation where we need the offense to be improved much more than the defense, but it's also possible that our defense is really good. It's expected to be. Plus Fritz is a coach who isn't afraid to call people out as motivation. I'd be more concerned if our defense was giving up touchdown after touchdown in practice; that would probably be more indicative of a porous defense than a great offense.
Pete, one bad practice? Have you been reading the camp reports? Do you really believe that the potential for two true freshmen starting on the OL isn't a red flag?
Well, if freshmen beat out last year's starters, the line has potential to be improved. Not to mention the second year in a new system. If the recruits don't beat out the incumbents, some might question the recruiting of our coaches. It's always something.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

At least if our defense drops off next year, it should align with a likely good offense, so maybe we outscore people. Of course, that "one unit is good while the other isnt" was the bane of the Scelfo and early Toledo eras.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

150 yds./game, that's all we need to score 24 points a game.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... t-in-2017/

Cam Sample chosen as one of 5 AAC freshmen to break out! Nice to get someone on this kind of list!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Very nice but has his name come up in practice reports? If it has I missed it not that would be a surprise
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GreenieBacker wrote:Very nice but has his name come up in practice reports? If it has I missed it not that would be a surprise
That's what I was thinking too. I have not heard his name this month at all. Makes you wonder what information the author used in order to write the story.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I have. He's been pushing the rotation for a while. Top 5 freshman in the league is ambitious-sounding, though.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

How many freshmen will play, and are there any others like Sample (guys who have not been mentioned a lot)? What about redshirt freshmen too?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

On offense look for Huderson, Dublin and Jackel. On defense it could be Montgomery, Moody, Vault, Langham, Monroe and possibly Sample.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

and how about Chase Kuerschen? Everyone (including WF) seem to be raving about his play at Safety.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Definitely add him in there. Thanks.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I was hoping the OL would improve enough to be a real surprise. Looks like they have a ways to go. Has Washington gone back to the defensive side?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote:On offense look for Huderson, Dublin and Jackel. On defense it could be Montgomery, Moody, Vault, Langham, Monroe and possibly Sample.

Wavedom, what about -

1. What about Claybrook at OT?
2. How are the freshmen WR's doing - Toles, Tucker, and LeDee?
3. What about the young DL - Patrick Johnson, Scott, Singletary, Deandre Williams, Rainey, and Kubiet?
4. What about Will Wallace at TE?

Thanks.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:On offense look for Huderson, Dublin and Jackel. On defense it could be Montgomery, Moody, Vault, Langham, Monroe and possibly Sample.

Wavedom, what about -

1. What about Claybrook at OT?
2. How are the freshmen WR's doing - Toles, Tucker, and LeDee?
3. What about the young DL - Patrick Johnson, Scott, Singletary, Deandre Williams, Rainey, and Kubiet?
4. What about Will Wallace at TE?

Thanks.
Claybrook should have probably been on that list. .
Haven't heard much on the WR's. Ledee had a couple of catches in the open scrimmage.
Williams and Rainey aren't true freshman which is what I took the OP to be about. Williams is definitely going to play though. As to the rest I think they all need a redshirt.
Haven't heard Wallace mentioned and he didn't do anything in the scrimmage.

I'm sure others have opinions. I have been surprised they haven't spoken up. I certainly didn't mean for mine to be all encompassing. I guess the lack of access to practice has kept things down unfortunately. I'm going by what I have read and what I observed in that scrimmage. I'm fine with most getting redshirts if that's how it plays out. Our recruits are generally undersized and need the time in the weight room plus of course having a year to digest the system.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tjtlja wrote:I was hoping the OL would improve enough to be a real surprise. Looks like they have a ways to go. Has Washington gone back to the defensive side?
While it IS disheartening to hear that the OL is still a work-in-progress, it is not surprising. More than any other, the OL should be the most cohesive unit on the team. I'm sure that WF and staff have been moving bodies in and out to determine who fits where and who the starters are. Last season's lack of depth and juxtaposing of positions didn't help, either. So here we are. Having a test like Grambling first up really helps us in this regard; in the past, we'd have a tough conference foe on the road. We should be able to physically match-up with Grambling, so what needs to be worked on are the blocking audibles and learned technique--especially on the part of Dublin. Depending upon how that goes, well, we then have to face OU shortly after that. Different story. We had better have the audibles down pat and be cohesive for that one because it will stress the OL physically. So we had better be good at running the football and Banks or whoever better be ready to throw on the run--either by design or desperation.

Injuries notwithstanding, the OL will be ready for Tulsa and should get better as the season progresses. Thank goodness we have changed offensive schemes and have more mis-direction in it and more mobility at the QB position; a Tanner Lee would not last the season with a porous OL, as we all found out.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Roto, it may be Coach-speak but WF predicts "significant improvement" in the OL (from the Advocate story linked above). I think WF is basing that on the return of Diaz at Center as well as a QB who can buy time/make things happen if the blocking breaks down. He also seems to be counting on a solid running game to slow down the rush to the QB..