Jaxon Smolik at Elite 11

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Jaxon Smolik at Elite 11

Unread post by tjtlja »

Jaxon Smolik was a last minute replacement for a QB that didn’t make the highest profile QB event in the country. Adam Gorney, the national recruiting director for Rivals gave Smolik the following evaluation -

“Smolik was the replacement for five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava, who went to a volleyball tournament instead of the Elite 11, and the West Des Moines (Iowa) Dowling quarterback more than held his own. The Tulane commit who’s hearing from Cal and others is clearly talented enough to play at a Power Five school as he has pop in his passes, he’s accurate and he didn’t back down from a big-time challenge over the last few days.”
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Jaxon Smolik at Elite 11

Unread post by waverider »

Just getting the invite, even if was a replacement, is pretty good considering they don’t take just anyone, but getting a good evaluation is a positive. Just need to have a good year so we can hold on to him.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

waverider wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:57 am Just getting the invite, even if was a replacement, is pretty good considering they don’t take just anyone, but getting a good evaluation is a positive. Just need to have a good year so we can hold on to him.
Agree. That is a very elite event. Can we hold on to him?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Some additional evaluation of Smolik from SI -

8. Jaxon Smolik (Tulane)
Composite: 8
Day 1 - 12; Day 2 - 5; Day 3 - 7
A virtual unknown entering the camp who only made his way to Los Angeles due to a finalist dropping out, Smolik immediately earned recognition for his fight in the first day's rail shot competition. He followed that showing with an outstanding seven money throws to open up his pro day session, while his four money passes in the gauntlet were tied for highest in the workout with five other quarterbacks. It’s safe to say Smolik isn’t an unknown any longer.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

From 247 -

JAXON SMOLIK | TULANE COMMIT
(Photo: Elite 11)

“247Sports: 3-star | 0.85 | No. 66 QB | No. 16 Iowan
High school: West Des Moines (Iowa) Dowling Catholic
Measurables: 6-2 | 200
Smolik committed June 23 to Tulane over offers from Indiana State, Kent State, Northern Iowa, Southeast Missouri State, Valparaiso and Western Illinois. Iowa and Iowa State are listed but without offers on Smolik's interests.

11)

- There were about five guys we debated about for those last couple of spots. The reality is, there wasn't much separation between the quarterbacks we rated 8-15. Tulane commit Jaxon Smolik was definitely on the short list and he looked more comfortable every day. He told us after the camp he was a little nervous early on but gained confidence during the 'rail-shot' competition at the end of Tuesday workout. He had a strong pro-day and looked good during 7v7 action today. Cal offered him on Wednesday and we expect that list to continue to grow in the coming weeks.”

It should be noted that one of the standouts at the Elite 11 is an Iowa State commitment. This is going to be a very difficult guy to hang on to. Wonder what his relationship is with whoever recruited him on the Tulane staff. Those relationships mean so much.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Iowa State and Iowa both have QB commitments from 2023 as well as 2022 signees. If someone is going to pirate him away it probably won’t be them.

Tulane made offers to a lot of QB’s. Smolik is the guy who said yes. If he changes to a no the staff will be ready to jump in any number of directions.

Funny how dated the term Power 5 has become in 48 hours.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:03 amCan we hold on to him?
I'll go ahead and say it - I wouldn't hold my breath.
long green
Cornerstone

The blurb reporting his offer from Cal is posted above. Smolik makes no mention of it on his Twitter page.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Pete, unfortunately I feel the same. Again, is the relationship with the Tulane recruiter strong enough to fight off the opposition.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

long green wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:23 pm The blurb reporting his offer from Cal is posted above. Smolik makes no mention of it on his Twitter page.
Way too many coaches and recruiting analyst from everywhere at that event to think that is not true. Based on his showing, I would expect him to get many offers. I hope the hell Tulane attended once they found out he was participating.
long green
Cornerstone

When did I say that I thought it wasn’t true? I only pointed out that he hadn’t mentioned it.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

long green wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:37 pm When did I say that I thought it wasn’t true? I only pointed out that he hadn’t mentioned it.
You didn’t. I was just conversing with you. That’s all. Honestly, you read it as me calling you out. Come on man.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

long green wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:23 pm The blurb reporting his offer from Cal is posted above. Smolik makes no mention of it on his Twitter page.
The top psychologist couldn’t figure out the mind of a 17 yo kid, but for our sake, I’ll take it as a good sign that he hasn’t tweeted about it. MIGHT tell us a couple things. One, he values his Tulane commit and is going to honor it; and, two, he isn’t worried about showing off his offers like many kids.

This could all mean nothing and he signs with East-West-Southern Missouri State when all’s said and done.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

His performance at the Elite 11 is huge for him personally. Like I said, relationships and fulfilling dreams is what it is all about. Hopefully, he loves Tulane and believes in the relationships he has built.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

There’s a reason why we took Smolik over the other QBs we offered. We brought him down to an Elite, invite only camp with other QBs we offered and he crushed it. He did not play in that many games last season which could account for his unknown status. By all accounts, he’s a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders. He’s going to get a lot more attention, but it’s a nod to our staff that we identified him and pulled the trigger when we did. He had a great time on his visit to Tulane this Summer. We’re not going to back down to anyone or stop recruiting him hard. There are a lot of Elite 11 kids who have chased bigger offers and ended up transferring. One year, 9 of 11 transferred at least once. Many of those kids found playing time and success at the G5 level. A kid like Shane Buechele is a good example. Blake Barnett won Elite11 and transferred twice in his college career. Fit, trust and playing time is the most important thing in choosing a college for a QB. If you don’t have all 3, you have no shot.

If he chooses another school, so be it. We’ve had a lot of kids come through campus and we have good evaluations on several prospects because we focused on smaller camps where we could focus on evaluations. I think our class this year is really talented. The kid we got yesterday from East Ascension has serious, game breaking speed. In the age of the transfer portal, you never know what’s possible with regard to HS recruiting. If you told me last year at this time that we would get Maxie Boudoin, I would’ve told you to get your head examined. From what players have told me, they can’t believe how good Chris Brazzell looks at 6’4. He played a lot of basketball and that hurt his recruiting. Things like that happen. No matter what happens, I feel confident that we have a good grasp on this class and where to turn next.
This one belongs to the Wave.
long green
Cornerstone

Just tweeted out that he camped at Penn St and got offered by them. PSU does not have a QB commitment as of now.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

He must be a 5 Star now!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Adios
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Recruiting services use big time programs with large recruiting staffs, like Penn St, as market indicators to catch players they might have missed or undervalued. So yeah, with a Penn state offer his grade may move upward. It would be a huge coup to land a 4 sate qb over Penn state so that's what I'm pulling for
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

So let's do the Shaun King all over again.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:24 am Recruiting services use big time programs with large recruiting staffs, like Penn St, as market indicators to catch players they might have missed or undervalued. So yeah, with a Penn state offer his grade may move upward. It would be a huge coup to land a 4 sate qb over Penn state so that's what I'm pulling for
Good point. It’s possible. Again PSU degrees don’t travel even in B1G country. Tulane’s does. Maybe that matters here too?

Breakthrough season by Pratt/Tulane QB this year can only help. Smolik did not flip immediately. Odds and history still against Tulane but it would be an upset for him to come here not an impossible longshot.

I’m more curious as to what occurs if/when Iowa/ISU recruit him.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:07 pmAdios
Very weird that you have this attitude when someone gets a "bigger" offer yet also constantly complain that our recruiting is too under the radar and we need to do better. There can't be that many players that fit these Goldilocks parameters.

I mean this as an observation, not a criticism.
long green
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:31 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:24 am Recruiting services use big time programs with large recruiting staffs, like Penn St, as market indicators to catch players they might have missed or undervalued. So yeah, with a Penn state offer his grade may move upward. It would be a huge coup to land a 4 sate qb over Penn state so that's what I'm pulling for
Good point. It’s possible. Again PSU degrees don’t travel even in B1G country. Tulane’s does. Maybe that matters here too?

Breakthrough season by Pratt/Tulane QB this year can only help. Smolik did not flip immediately. Odds and history still against Tulane but it would be an upset for him to come here not an impossible longshot.

I’m more curious as to what occurs if/when Iowa/ISU recruit him.
Both those programs have several younger options at QB, including 2023 commitments. The heat for Smolik won’t come from in-state.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

ml wave wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:59 am
tjtlja wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:07 pmAdios
Very weird that you have this attitude when someone gets a "bigger" offer yet also constantly complain that our recruiting is too under the radar and we need to do better. There can't be that many players that fit these Goldilocks parameters.

I mean this as an observation, not a criticism.
Well, we do need to do better, much better. And it is just an observation. When do we ever beat a Penn State type program on a player. Ole Miss, Miss State, Purdue, Indiana, yes, Penn State, no. Bottom line is we should be recruiting against Memphis, SMU, UAB, UTSA, and be competitive. This year doesn’t even come close to that.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

If you are right about HS recruiting underachieving then Fritz simply has to overperperform in transfer portal with a dollop if JUCO recruits. Not just one way to take that mountain

This is very doable. Proof will be the record.

AAC contender or .500 ball (or worse like last year?)

It’s Fritz’s 7th season. May it be Bill Snyder-like.