Krewe of 2022 - Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Krewe of 2022 - Football Recruiting

Post by tjtlja »

Things are starting to heat up.

Amorian Walker, a WR from Ponchatoula, committed to Notre Dame. We offered, and with the obvious connections to Tyjae, there was some hope he would give us some consideration.

Two kids from Newman High School, and a WR from Karr have committed to LSU. I think they 9-10 commits, with most of them being from LA. It has been said this LA class is loaded.

I don’t know of any commitments by us at this time, but it is a good bet we have some that are not announcing yet.
Last edited by tjtlja on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 2022 Football Recruiting

Post by PeteRasche »

Tulane has offered Max Klare, a TE from my high school (!). He also is a power-hitting baseball player as well (saw this on his Twitter), though there's no indication baseball has anything to do with it. He currently holds offers from a few G5 and FCS programs, as well as Navy.

And just yesterday Tulane offered our QB, Brogan McCaughey, as well. First team all state (largest division), had 4 TD passes in the state title game, and holds school record for yards in a single game (556). Currently holds offers from FCS and Ivies. Very similar player to Pratt.

Sudden attention to the Catholic schools up here in Cincinnati... I would imagine this is the Notre Dame influence creeping in.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Fickell at Cinci has been using his ohio/Catholic connections to recruit the same set of schools for the last few years. He has built a great program with that as a strategy so maybe we can benefit similarly
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:38 am Fickell at Cinci has been using his ohio/Catholic connections to recruit the same set of schools for the last few years. He has built a great program with that as a strategy so maybe we can benefit similarly
The big Catholic schools here are great programs which are regularly in the national top 25 and play some of the toughest schedules in the country every year (because there's no one here who will play them so they schedule regional Catholic powers). However, they win more because of the program status (coaching, facilities, pure numbers of players available) and they turn out surprisingly few "major" FBS players. There are the occasional outstanding players (Penn State QB Clifford is from my high school, as was a lineman for Clemson this past year... as was Luke Kuechly... Kyle Rudolph is from a rival school ... Ohio State had a receiver from one of them a couple years ago). Mostly they go on to be decent starters at MAC schools or tear up the Ivy Leagues. Notre Dame has always recruited here heavily (huge Catholic town) but there haven't been a lot go there in recent years. As above, I'm sure Long knows of the league from his time at Notre Dame. I'm going to ask around and see if there are Tulane offers out there to players at other league schools. As of right now it's one of two things: either we're ahead of the game and offering kids early who are going to blow up during their senior years, or else we're aiming lower than we should be (based on the other offers). At this stage, I'm guessing (hoping) the former.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:31 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:38 am Fickell at Cinci has been using his ohio/Catholic connections to recruit the same set of schools for the last few years. He has built a great program with that as a strategy so maybe we can benefit similarly
The big Catholic schools here are great programs which are regularly in the national top 25 and play some of the toughest schedules in the country every year (because there's no one here who will play them so they schedule regional Catholic powers). However, they win more because of the program status (coaching, facilities, pure numbers of players available) and they turn out surprisingly few "major" FBS players.
St. Joseph's Prep in Philadelphia fits that mold. Usually a top 5 in the nation power which destroys local competition and plays a lot of out of state teams including some your way.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

tjtlja wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:51 pm Things are starting to heat up.

Amorian Walker, a WR from Ponchatoula, committed to Notre Dame. We offered, and with the obvious connections to Tyjae, there was some hope he would give us some consideration.

Two kids from Newman High School, and a WR from Karr have committed to LSU. I think they have 9-10 commits, with most of them being from LA. It has been said this LA class is loaded.

I don’t know of any commitments by us at this time, but it is a good bet we have some that are not announcing yet.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Sorry for the double post.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Just noting that Sorrell Brown has been medically DQ’d. Hate to see that happen. The young man had some talent. Good luck with your future!
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

https://crescentcitysports.com/tulanes- ... prospects/

Renee Nadeau's latest on Tulane's 2022 prospects.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I assume Ibieta prospect is out QBs brother
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

MNAlum wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:00 am https://crescentcitysports.com/tulanes- ... prospects/

Renee Nadeau's latest on Tulane's 2022 prospects.
I'd be interested in how Nadeau accumulated this list, or why he listed certain guys who have been offered but not others. Just as a for instance, he lists a guy from my high school that I didn't know had been offered (OG Cameron Collins (6-4, 265) St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati), but does not lists the two others from my high school that tweeted they'd been offered a while back (see my posts a few above this). Curious.

Nonetheless, certain people here should be happy to see Tulane recruiting the Midwest for linemen! :green wink:

P.S. Just learned from a friend that TE Max Klare (my post above) was recently offered by Georgia Tech.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:19 am I assume Ibieta prospect is out QBs brother
I think cousin was mentioned earlier on the board somewhere.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

What I find interesting above is Kody Finley, WR from Ponchatoula. His brother is T.J. Finley at LSU. After starting 4-5 games last year as a true freshman after Myles Brennan got hurt, Finley was replaced by true freshman Max Johnson who was outstanding. After spring ball, T.J. is clearly running 3rd team and possibly could end up behind true freshman Garrett Nussmeier.

Does he enter the transfer portal? Would he come to Tulane if his brother signs with the Wave? Something worth following. Maybe TU23 has some insight on this and the other kids mentioned in Nadeau’s article.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 am
Baywave1 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:19 am I assume Ibieta prospect is out QBs brother
I think cousin was mentioned earlier on the board somewhere.
Gotta be related someway. Thanks
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Former Rummel DB Pig Cage is transferring from Nicholls where he had a pretty good freshman season. I haven’t seen anything regarding who’s recruiting him.

(I put this here rather than starting a new thread)
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The questions with Cage are whether we have room and his ceiling. Is he a good AAC safety? His floor is high enough (consistent contributor, good on special teams) that if we had room and he was interested I'd pull the trigger.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

The recruits I will be concentrating on now will be the kids in Texas who we have offered. I will start with QB & RB’s -

QB - Josh Hoover - 6’2, 210, Rockwall, rated 3 stars by Rivals. Offered by 17 schools led by Arkansas, La Tech, Memphis, SMU, and Tulsa. Arkansas appears to have the lead.

RB - Bryson Donnell - 5’11, 200, Tyler, rated 3 stars by Rivals. He has 20 offers led by Arkansas, Colorado, Houston, Texas Tech, La Tech, Purdue, and Tulsa. Texas Tech appears to be leading at this time.

RB - Kahlen Sam - 5’11, 200, Houston, not rated by Rivals. Offers from Liberty and Navy.

RB - Ky Woods - 5’10, 180, League City, not rated by Rivals. Offered by New Mexico.

RB - Braylon Stewart - 5’11, 200, Texarkana, not rated by Rivals. Offered by Colorado (who is leading), Colorado State, New Mexico, UTSA, & Kansas.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Pig Cage is going to LSU. Wow. On full scholarship?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:12 pm Pig Cage is going to LSU. Wow. On full scholarship?
I had a feeling that’s where he’d end up. They have had a run of Rummel guys over the years.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Apparently he's a walkon there. I think if he demanded a full ride he could have gotten one from a bunch of FBS programs.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:19 pm Apparently he's a walkon there. I think if he demanded a full ride he could have gotten one from a bunch of FBS programs.
He's from Louisiana, right? TOP$
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:50 pm
long green wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:19 pm Apparently he's a walkon there. I think if he demanded a full ride he could have gotten one from a bunch of FBS programs.
He's from Louisiana, right? TOP$
Probably just wanted to see Lindsey Scott’s old locker :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Below are Texas OL we have offered to date -

Austin Kawecki - OT, 6’3, 260, Frisco, rated 3 star by Rivals. He has 26 offers which include AZ State, Baylor, Boise State, Colorado, ECU, Houston, Maryland, Memphis, Oklahoma State, Miami (FL), Penn State, Texas Tech, North Carolina, USC, Utah, Va Tech, Vandy, & VA Tech. Texas Tech may be leading. He is scheduled to visit OK State.

Matt Craycraft - OT, 6’4, 275, Dallas, rated 3 stars by Rivals. Offered by 19 schools which includes LA Tech, AZ State, Colorado, Duke, Memphis, MS State, SMU, and several Ivy League teams. LA Tech has the lead.

Van Wells - Center, 6’2, 300, Houston, not rated by Rivals. Has 13 offers including Air Force, ECU, Navy, Nevada, and several Ivy League schools.

Caden Kitler - Center, 6’3, 290, Plano, not rated by Rivals. Has 28 offers, but is very high on UCF and Memphis where he has locked in visits. Other schools who have offered are Coastal Carolina, ECU, Liberty, La Tech, Navy, & Washington State.

Jacob Waller - OT, 6-6, 282, Arlington, not rated by Rivals. Offered by 16 schools including Air Force, Army, SMU, Tulsa, & ULL. His lone visit is to SMU at this time.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Those look like good OL prospects.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

That is a good list. Hope we land a couple. Definitely need to bring in a center.