Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
doc
President's Circle

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Unread post by doc »

This is simply a hunch, but I sense some Tulane hoops recruiting news shortly.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Doc, you certainly have my attention. May it be a good hunch for a very good player!
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Jordan Walker has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will return to UAB.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:11 pm Jordan Walker has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will return to UAB.
Heh, I suppose this ought to be on the "Former players" forum...

I am really surprised he still has eligibility. Seems like a loooong time ago that he first transferred to Tulane.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:22 pm
doc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:11 pm Jordan Walker has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will return to UAB.

I am really surprised he still has eligibility. Seems like a loooong time ago that he first transferred to Tulane.
My best friend and I used to play a game of name a player that seemed like he was at a school for like 30 years. It was before players were actually given 30 years of eligibility. Fred Hoiberg is always the first name.

I think Walker is going for his doctorate he has been playing so long.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

didn't COVID make it essentially "six years to play five?"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:32 am

didn't COVID make it essentially "six years to play five?"
Yes, but it just seemed like a really long time because pre-COVID seems like a decade ago.
He played at Seton Hall, transferred to Tulane and sat out, played 2 years at Tulane (he was at Tulane THREE years), transferred again, and played last year at UAB. That was indeed his fourth year of playing (out of 5), so he's using the COVID 6th year to play his 5th season next year.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Ricky Council IV to Arkansas. Dexter Dennis to Texas A&M. Wichita State may have underachieved more than any team in the country last year. They really did have a ton of good players.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Hi Doc, any news on the recruiting front? Do you think we take two players? If not, will the final scholarship be used on a point guard or a big man? Thanks!
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Recruiting/hoops reporter A. Zagoria reports that Seton Hall transfer Jahari Long, 6-5 PG, will announce Friday (May 20) for either Maryland, Tulane or N. Texas. He was injured most of last season (played a bit in just 5 games). He played high school ball in Houston and was a 3-star recruit back then. His college career to date has been up and down, mostly down of late due to his knee injury which occurred almost a year ago (he tried to play through it but had surgery in December '21).
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Randy, Doc, NJ, or anyone else, how would you characterize this class so far?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

This is a unique recruiting year for us. The priority is not necessarily to get the highest ranked or "best" players. He's got to bring in what we need to make the NCAAs next year, without clogging us up to much with a bunch of role players going forward (esp when the Big 3 leave).
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

GSx wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:02 pm This is a unique recruiting year for us. The priority is not necessarily to get the highest ranked or "best" players. He's got to bring in what we need to make the NCAAs next year, without clogging us up to much with a bunch of role players going forward (esp when the Big 3 leave).
You should always get the best. Especially at a place like Tulane. You can never have too many of the best.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

tjtlja wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:20 pm Randy, Doc, NJ, or anyone else, how would you characterize this class so far?
We have not signed a big name, but the idea is to improve. We have done that. Daniels was a really good signing at a position of need. The Oregon State kid will bring defense and athleticism.

I won’t be that excited if the Seton Hall point guard commits. He has been perpetually hurt and hasn’t done much at all when he has played. I live 15 minutes from their campus. Nobody is crying that he left. They are disappointed to lose Daniels.

We should hear news on Cook soon. He wasn’t invited to the combine and is not projected to be drafted in any mock draft I’ve come across. I have no information on his plans, but I expect him back.

To beat a dead horse, please sign one more impactful big man.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

tjtlja wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:42 pm You should always get the best. Especially at a place like Tulane. You can never have too many of the best.
But Tulane's best hasn't been good enough in 26 seasons. Making the NCAAs this season should help us get better "best" players.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I think the Percy Daniels signing is by far the highlight to date; he could develop into an all-league player.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Tulane has a commitment from 6-6 220# SF Collin Holloway, a RS FR currently at Georgetown. He is originally from Baton Rouge, LA. He had good shooting percentages last season and played 25 mpg last season and averaged 9 ppg. He is left handed and reasonably athletic. From the films I have watched from high school so far, he looked like a slasher. Tulane’s roster keeps improving.
Last edited by doc on Thu May 19, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

doc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am Tulane has a commitment from 6-6 220# SF Collin Holloway, a RS FR currently at Georgetown. He is originally from Baton Rouge, LA. He is a very good shooter who played 25 mpg last season and averaged 9 ppg. This could turn out to be an important signing. Tulane’s roster keeps improving.
he was 5th on G'town in ppg and 4th in mpg... this is a regular player who can help immensely and could potentially start

more information: 45.3% from the field, 78% from FT and 35.6% from 3pt
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Part of Holloway’s value is that he’d be projected to be here post-Cross and Forbes.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Hunter tweet (after he reposted Jeff Goodman tweet about Holloway)

"I’m officially now on vacation lol. It’s been a great off season so far. Goodbye Portal until next time we meet!!"

I'm not sure what that means for the Seton Hall kid tomorrow. I believe we are currently at 12 scholarship players (if Cook returns).
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

NJwave wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:07 pm Hunter tweet (after he reposted Jeff Goodman tweet about Holloway)

"I’m officially now on vacation lol. It’s been a great off season so far. Goodbye Portal until next time we meet!!"

I'm not sure what that means for the Seton Hall kid tomorrow. I believe we are currently at 12 scholarship players (if Cook returns).
I took it to mean the die is cast on him. Either he signs here or not, but Hunter had done all he could to sway him our direction.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

It is my understanding Tulane is finished recruiting for now. I am looking forward to seeing these new kids on the court. I believe HC Hunter has improved Tulane’s defensive size and speed on the wings and in the post which in my mind, was vital for the next step forward.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Looks like another good pick up. Nice way to end things for this cycle. Adds to the excitement for next season when Tulane and the Pels make everyone aware this is a basketball town.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

doc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am Tulane has a commitment from 6-6 220# SF Collin Holloway, a RS FR currently at Georgetown. He is originally from Baton Rouge, LA.
I'm not the researcher y'all are, but I'm assuming he'd have known Forbes and Cook from high school - if not playing with them, then at least playing against them in AAU or whatever?
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

He played against Cook in high school. He was at Catholic and Cook was at Walker.
Last edited by doc on Thu May 19, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.