Tulane commits fast friendship - Clairon Ledger article

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Tulane commits fast friendship - Clairon Ledger article

Post by Donny Z »

Great coverage in MS and just a great article overall. Look forward to both these guys wearing Green. Gotta believe this type of bond and coverage only helps continue our recent recruiting success in MS. Both schools have other highly regarded prospects as well.

https://amp.clarionledger.com/amp/599213001
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane commits fast friendship - Clairon Ledger article

Post by GretnaGrn »

Nice article and nice coverage from the Jackson newspaper.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

This caught my eye:
On the two-hour drive back to Batesville, Shegog read through the Tulane group chat and was flattered to find it filled with updates on his impressive performance.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I thought recruits didn't care what anyone wrote on fan boards?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TU77CAL82 wrote:This caught my eye:
On the two-hour drive back to Batesville, Shegog read through the Tulane group chat and was flattered to find it filled with updates on his impressive performance.
GreenieBacker wrote:I thought recruits didn't care what anyone wrote on fan boards?
Taken out of context, this would seem to indicate our board. However, the line right before it talks about how Hogan went to Shegog's game and "Hogan had the Tulane coaching staff and 2018 recruiting class filled in."

To me this means that there is a group chat (online message board? Group text? Would that even be allowed?) That allows recruits and staff to communicate with each other directly. The article goes on to say "“I told them his ability to throw the deep ball really stood out to me,” Hogan said. “I felt like it was right in the receivers' hands, he put it there.”"
As far as I know, Nik Hogan had not been posting here (yet?).
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

gerry what I take it to mean is that recruits, not all but I bet most, look at all the various social media platforms like chat boards, fan forums, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:gerry what I take it to mean is that recruits, not all but I bet most, look at all the various social media platforms like chat boards, fan forums, etc.
Well your wrong :lol:
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

well it wouldn't be the first time that's for sure :-D

and I don't think what we say plays a MAJOR role in their decision but it may have some impact at some level.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:well it wouldn't be the first time that's for sure :-D

and I don't think what we say plays a MAJOR role in their decision but it may have some impact at some level.
I agree they probably read some boards. I don't agree that the article is referring to that.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I was interpolating in effort to prove that I was right :wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:well it wouldn't be the first time that's for sure :-D

I agree they probably read some boards. I don't agree that the article is referring to that.
You're being too clever by about one-and-a-half. The Panola QB clearly refers to folks here and i guess the other board posting stats and highlights after the opening game.

What started all this was really GB's timely reminder that recruits and parents read these boards and as we well know, parents and ex-players post also.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

No he didn't reference these boards at all. It is clearly a reference to a site that commits and coaches are allowed to communicate on. Hogan says that he posted on it to make the other other commits and the staff aware of what he just saw Shehog do. It is quite clear.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:No he didn't reference these boards at all. It is clearly a reference to a site that commits and coaches are allowed to communicate on. Hogan says that he posted on it to make the other other commits and the staff aware of what he just saw Shehog do. It is quite clear.
Thank you
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

GreenieBacker wrote:I thought recruits didn't care what anyone wrote on fan boards?
The players that read these boards generally could care less. They know fans and fakes and buttholes better than anyone on this board other than ex-players and coaches (except Jewett).
Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

Twitter is where that communication takes place.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote:
The players that read these boards generally could care less. They know fans and fakes and buttholes better than anyone on this board other than ex-players and coaches (except Jewett).
Again the point is as tjtla confirms is that players, parents and other interested parties (including athletic staff) read and monitor these message boards regardless of quality or lack thereof of content. That's what GB was reminding us of. Always useful advice.

Folks, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this particular one. I'm not interested in reviewing the contents of Mr. Shehog's smart phone. Meanwhile I'm not the one trying to explain away what the reporter (an independent and disinterested party) wrote at face value.

I am more glad Shehog is coming to Tulane. I was in Panola County this week and let's just say the locals are very proud of their high school football team and Mr. Shehog. That's what really matters here.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I don't know if your stupid or just being asinine, but there is no way the plain meaning of the words mean this board as opposed to a group chat between Tulane coaches and recruits. So you're the one trying to explain away what was written.

Here is the language (I added the bracketed stuff):
Shegog put on a show in his season opener, throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 136 yards and one touchdown. Hogan had the Tulane coaching staff and 2018 recruiting class filled in. [As in Hogan posted stats in the group chat.]

On the two-hour drive back to Batesville, Shegog read through the Tulane group chat and was flattered to find it filled with updates on his impressive performance. Most importantly to Shegog, though, was that it showed the type of teammate Hogan is, he said. [IT being the posting by Hogan in the group chat.]

“I told them his ability to throw the deep ball really stood out to me,” Hogan said. “I felt like it was right in the receivers' hands, he put it there.” [THEM being the other coaches and recruits in the group chat.]
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

gerryb323 wrote:I don't know if your stupid or just being asinine, but there is no way the plain meaning of the words mean this board as opposed to a group chat between Tulane coaches and recruits. So you're the one trying to explain away what was written.

Shegog put on a show in his season opener, throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 136 yards and one touchdown. Hogan had the Tulane coaching staff and 2018 recruiting class filled in. [As in Hogan posted stats in the group chat.]

On the two-hour drive back to Batesville, Shegog read through the Tulane group chat and was flattered to find it filled with updates on his impressive performance. Most importantly to Shegog, though, was that it showed the type of teammate Hogan is, he said. [IT being the posting by Hogan in the group chat.]

“I told them his ability to throw the deep ball really stood out to me,” Hogan said. “I felt like it was right in the receivers' hands, he put it there.” [THEM being the other coaches and recruits in the group chat.]
I think it's more likely that he was referring to something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49795
and this:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49752
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:I don't know if your stupid or just being asinine, but there is no way the plain meaning of the words mean this board as opposed to a group chat between Tulane coaches and recruits. So you're the one trying to explain away what was written.

I think it's more likely that he was referring to something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49795
and this:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49752
So you're saying Nik Hogan is Donny Z??!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
Then they wouldn't read it. Everybody associated with athletics have egos and what others think matters to them very much no matter how much they deny it.

No one wishes you or anyone ill will. We all hope you're safe. As for windy he doesn't have a following. People were just flat out sick and tired of your constant whining about a matter that you were completely wrong on.
We deserve so much better
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Billow wrote:Twitter is where that communication takes place.
It has to be Twitter. That make the most sense.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Then they wouldn't read it. Everybody associated with athletics have egos and what others think matters to them very much no matter how much they deny it.

No one wishes you or anyone ill will. We all hope you're safe. As for windy he doesn't have a following. People were just flat out sick and tired of your constant whining about a matter that you were completely wrong on.
Hey you know perfectly well that the first rule of being in Windy's cohort is to openly deny it exists.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PCWave
Crest Level

Post by PCWave »

It really disturbs me when one Green Wave fan feels compelled to call another fan stupid and/or asinine. Please people, be civil with one another. I can't imagine that it gives one pleasure to denigrate another fan, no matter what the fan posted. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and SUPPOSEDLY we are all pulling for the WAVE.
Harahan Wave
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

It is difficult when the facts are the fact. None of it was an opinion. It's what happened. The facts are sometimes messy and I get it that people hate to hear these things. The baseball players paid the price when it was all said and done and there were so many other things that could have been said, but the naysayers would have just called it whining or you have a vendetta or this or that and then the name calling. It was a tough year with injuries and the new Coach who just didn't click with the senior class. Just hope next year is a great success and you are right, we are all Greenies and name calling is inappropriate and I apologize for that. Like my friend Doc, I will just sit back and enjoy a successful football season and leave the posting to the pros. It has reached that point. I look forward to a great year and will stay in touch with plenty of you. This is a big year for athletics and I pray we can get this program going in the right direction. And one final thing, these issues were brought up over and over because when the facts are not the facts, then the record should be set straight everytime the facts are misrepresented. I hope that is always the case and we all want to know what our athletic program is doing because of the way they have operated under this secret veil the past 40 years. I want to know what is actually going on if my money is paying the bills. Good luck greenies!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PCWave wrote:It really disturbs me when one Green Wave fan feels compelled to call another fan stupid and/or asinine. Please people, be civil with one another. I can't imagine that it gives one pleasure to denigrate another fan, no matter what the fan posted. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and SUPPOSEDLY we are all pulling for the WAVE.
Your an idiot.
(Also, anyone who reads most of what I ever say on here knows that almost everything I say is tongue-in-cheek/facetious/sarcastic. I went over the top in my analysis of the quotes on purpose. Also, y'all are wrong.)