2017 Tulane Football Recruiting Info & Discussion

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Re: 2017 Tulane Football Recruiting Info & Discussion

Unread post by CT Wave »

long green wrote:
Donny Z wrote:Tay Martin listed as the top area basketball player. LG - not that this is the end all be all, but in today's article they do say he is a Tulane football commit. Edit: says he is a tulane football and basketball commit.

http://www.houmatoday.com/sports/201612 ... ll-players
Here's an interview with Martin. He does not call himself a Tulane commitment but he says he's visiting the second week of January:

http://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/2017- ... nsd-nears/
What do you make of this sentence: "Recruiting sites have Martin as a three-star prospect, but the wealth of adversity he can bring to any college team cannot be understated."

Never want to understate the wealth of adversity he can bring!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

FW wrote:
tjtlja wrote:A P5 comes knocking and he doesn't know what he will do. Playing in the powerful ACC looks too good to past up. The script is always the same. It has to drive Fritz insane. How do you recruit against that monster? It seems like education and location do not matter at all. And neither does winning - Syracuse, Virginia, etc.
I agree with in general, and it pisses me off too, but UVA is a better school than Tulane. Tulane is better than Syracuse, but SU isn't a bad school. While Tulane is a better location than SU, UVA is a beautiful campus and a great location (I'd rather be in New Orleans, but Charlottesville is not a bad place to spend 4 years). Also, UVA and SU aren't good, but they're better than us right now.
For all your putting UVA on a pedestal (in relation to Tulane) - have you spent any time in VA lately?? Was there for a week just recently and what I heard and read about UVA ain't all that high and mighty for the state school that it was. UVA is slipping and it's becoming common knowledge. Just my HO.
algirau
Riptide Level

Unread post by algirau »

CT Wave wrote:
long green wrote:
Donny Z wrote:Tay Martin listed as the top area basketball player. LG - not that this is the end all be all, but in today's article they do say he is a Tulane football commit. Edit: says he is a tulane football and basketball commit.

Here's an interview with Martin. He does not call himself a Tulane commitment but he says he's visiting the second week of January:

What do you make of this sentence: "Recruiting sites have Martin as a three-star prospect, but the wealth of adversity he can bring to any college team cannot be understated."

FYI This is the football recruiting channel...
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

CT Wave wrote:
long green wrote:

Lol, that's just what we need, more wealth of adversity.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Adversity, diversity... As long as he comes to our university.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:Adversity, diversity... As long as he comes to our university.
Now lets stop this rhyming absudity :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Per Will Guillory, Davontavean Martin has officially decomitted but says Tulane still in the mix. Also reported by Guillory, Caleb Sampson has announced his decommittment from Tulane.
Ellender WR Davontavean Martin announces his decommitment from #Tulane. Says Green Wave are still in the mix twitter.com/_iball31/statu…
Wow. 2 in one night. Northlake Christian DL Caleb Sampson announces his decommitment from Tulane
Tulane Greenbackers

GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

They both tweeted it, Sampson in a somewhat arrogant fashion.

They seem to be really struggling with recruiting; I thought we might see some staff changes toward that end.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

We have to add a full class of DL's, none currently committed.

Fritz needs to re-invent his in-state recruiting the instant this class is done. That's priority #1.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

GSx wrote:They both tweeted it, Sampson in a somewhat arrogant fashion.

They seem to be really struggling with recruiting; I thought we might see some staff changes toward that end.
Les Miles, for one, always did that after Signing Day.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

long green wrote:We have to add a full class of DL's, none currently committed.

Fritz needs to re-invent his in-state recruiting the instant this class is done. That's priority #1.
Reinvent in what way? More focus on locals? Less? Different?
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Not a state of Tulane approach but we could use a bird dog who only recruits Orleans, Jefferson, & the River Parishes.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Are we really struggling or is the staff going after better kids. We couldn't have gotten off to a better start this past Wednesday. If these kids bolt this quickly because a Missouri or Virginia come calling, then to hell with them. Why did they commit in the first place.

Regarding in state recruiting, it is a struggle. Grades in our own back yard, marginal athletes who don't have better offers, the name Tulane, the constant negative press, etc., etc. The LA players we usually get in state have never really helped us win anything anyway except the '98 team. We cannot recruit the best players in the state until we win. Going out of state may be the answer at this time because we probably have a better shot of landing a roster of D1 players. It is frustrating not being able to recruit Louisiana right NOW, but lets get a winning season under our belt and then see what happens. I want D1 players. If they are from Louisiana and they are not D1 talent, then pass. We can find 27 or 28 kids with D1 talent if we recruit nationally.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Louisiana players help the 2002 team, the 2013 team, this year's team. CJ overdid it but the answer isn't to abandon the state. staff is heavily FCS flavored and what's different between FCS and FBS is the recruiting. just haven't beaten out real competition on the recruiting trail and that would include the JCs that we signed.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

tjtlja wrote:Are we really struggling or is the staff going after better kids. We couldn't have gotten off to a better start this past Wednesday. If these kids bolt this quickly because a Missouri or Virginia come calling, then to hell with them. Why did they commit in the first place.

Regarding in state recruiting, it is a struggle. Grades in our own back yard, marginal athletes who don't have better offers, the name Tulane, the constant negative press, etc., etc. The LA players we usually get in state have never really helped us win anything anyway except the '98 team. We cannot recruit the best players in the state until we win. Going out of state may be the answer at this time because we probably have a better shot of landing a roster of D1 players. It is frustrating not being able to recruit Louisiana right NOW, but lets get a winning season under our belt and then see what happens. I want D1 players. If they are from Louisiana and they are not D1 talent, then pass. We can find 27 or 28 kids with D1 talent if we recruit nationally.
A lot of kids commit because it's their first best offer, and then when they better offers they open it back up. They treat a school like Tulane as a "placeholder." It's horrible, but it's a game.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

"Placeholder" is the exact term I thought of as well, FW. Kids will commit to the best current offer, then as soon as a perceived-as-better offer comes along, they decommit because they now have other options. Until we start winning we will be just that for many kids.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Until we win, we are the equivalent of a safety school. May or may not work out getting into my dream school but at least I have the safety school for now.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

So it comes down to this: we need to win with lesser players, since we can't get the better players until we win.
Some really good players, however, consider that the vicious circle can also be broken if a few great players have enough faith in themselves that they can win and create a climate that attracts more great players. We've had a few of those in the past, but other than the Bowden group, our coaches haven't gotten the job done. I think that Fritz is the guy who can do it, if he can only get a few good players to have the faith to join the march.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

long green wrote:We have to add a full class of DL's, none currently committed.

I think that we can get by with one DE, if he's the caliber of the Porter fellow from Arkansas. But we really need two DLs, at least one of whom might be able to contribute this year. Just think of the minutes that Tanzel Smart logged at DT. You really usually need two guys to log those kinds of minutes. Even if we move either John Washington or Webb back to DT, we still need depth to assist Wilson and E. Washington. I hope that we get the DT that the coach visited in GA on Sunday. That would be great.

As for the Louisiana recruiting, we need to keep plugging away. There are so many good recruits in Louisiana that we should be able to get a few. However, we need to remember that TULANE is not just a Louisiana school, but is a national school. Nevertheless, it's hard to develop the rapport with high school coaches on a national level that is necessary to really compete outside of your geographical area.

edited
Last edited by ThePig on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Roller wrote:So it comes down to this: we need to win with lesser players, since we can't get the better players until we win.
Some really good players, however, consider that the vicious circle can also be broken if a few great players have enough faith in themselves that they can win and create a climate that attracts more great players. We've had a few of those in the past, but other than the Bowden group, our coaches haven't gotten the job done. I think that Fritz is the guy who can do it, if he can only get a few good players to have the faith to join the march.
Yeah, I think you are hitting this one correctly. It's gonna take just a few or maybe more than a few to break this cycle.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Roller wrote:So it comes down to this: we need to win with lesser players, since we can't get the better players until we win.
I generally agree with is sentiment. But you cannot win without a top flight QB, no matter how else your roster stacks up. This position is the one we have lacked in the last few years, in addition to the other way to build a team, offensive line. All one has to do is look at our history and see that the best Tulane teams had a good to great QB--Duhon/Foley/Hontas/Jones/King/Losman. It's our heritage.

Three things determine a good offense. A QB, an OL and a scheme. You can win with a QB and mediocre OL if your QB has escapability OR your offense can keep a defense off-balance. You can win with a decent, not spectacular QB, if you can run the football and protect the passer. Frankly, we've haven't had both since 2003 and really haven't had good, consistent QB play since Griffin's last season. We haven't had a good OL since I can remember. And we haven't had an offense that keeps defenses guessing since RR. I think we now have the latter. To win in 2017, we'll need the QB, mainly because building an OL at Tulane requires multiple seasons of rebuilding (for the reasons cited above). If we can achieve 2 out of the 3, we'll be in business.

As for DL, we need bodies more than stellar talent. Given the types of offenses in the AAC, stellar DL play is not as important as it used to be. We were scored on this season even though on the DL we had a 2-time ALL AAC player and some decent talent around him. What defenses need in this league are quick, agile LBs against the run; a great secondary and solid pass rush against the pass. However you achieve the pass rush depends on where the talent lies. Usually, good pass rushers are DEs or they are LBs blitzing or from a 3-4 scheme that confuses the opposing QB. I would be happy with 3 or 4 DTs who weigh 290 lbs+ and with quick feet. They don't have to be all conference, just plug gaps for the LBs to stop the running game.

We have a great story to tell. We have RBs in the NFL; we sent 4 of our last 6 QBs to the NFL; we have DBs that are either all-conference or in the NFL. I believe LSU will turn into a dumpster fire with Orgeron. I agree somewhat with the philosophy of CJ's State of Tulane--he just got lazy with it. Fill in the gaps with out-of-state talent, but trust a system of offense/defense that brought Fritz his success and recruit the talent to execute it. We won't be getting the 5* talent anytime soon, but if we execute a recruiting plan to the talent necessary to implement our schemes, we'll be OK (we just got a 4* RB in Dauphine because he knows we will run the football and Hilliard and Badie are bye-bye after 2017). Then we can go after the top talent in two, three years of success. But it all begins and ends with recruiting the right QB.
Plan your work, work your plan.
waverider
Cornerstone

Some good news. Tulane WR commit Travis Tucker in the Mississippi All Star game.
Congrats to @travisjtucker15 on winning North Offensive MVP!!
Tulane Greenbackers

Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

Do our two Dlineman who redshirted this year project as DT's or DE's. Any word on how they looked thru the fall
Roll Wave Roll!!!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Congratulations to the young man. Now lets pray he isn't offered by some juggernaut like Virginia or Missouri.