Leslie Vorpahl

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Leslie Vorpahl

Post by WaveProf »

Tulane news release on her future plans

http://news.tulane.edu/news/green-wave- ... U.facebook
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Leslie Vorpahl

Post by ml wave »

Not a lot of plans there...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:Not a lot of plans there...
Maybe get a job maybe coach ... I don't think our fearless blind link poster even read the article, yet again.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I only wish her nothing but the best in her future endeavors. May she excel with her degree!
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Play in Europe? Who knew there were women's leagues in Europe?!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:Not a lot of plans there...
Maybe get a job maybe coach ... I don't think our fearless blind link poster even read the article, yet again.
the article CLEARLY implies she plans to graduate... how much more do you need?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Leslie has signed an agent and is weighing her options to play in Europe
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Play in Europe? Who knew there were women's leagues in Europe?!
Sarcasm? There have been for decades. Women back in my era went and played in Europe, before the WNBA existed.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Sarcasm? There have been for decades. Women back in my era went and played in Europe, before the WNBA existed.
Women's hoops is FAR bigger in Europe. Russia, in particular, has very high-paying leagues (it's the hobby of the oligarchs).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Women's hoops is FAR bigger in Europe. Russia, in particular, has very high-paying leagues (it's the hobby of the oligarchs).
I guess since I pay zero attention to women's leagues in the US I obviously know nothing of the of viewing habits of Europeans
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

She will be playing in Europe this coming season
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Wavemania wrote:She will be playing in Europe this coming season
Romania, to be exact.

Tulane release:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/6/ ... rseas.aspx

Wikipedia page for the team (their native one is, of course, in Romanian)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_Univer ... asketball)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yikes, I've been to Bucharest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.
Last edited by TUPF on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:Yikes, I've been to Budapest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.
What do you mean by "sporty living" because that doesn't strike me as a bad thing?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Yikes, I've been to Budapest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.
What do you mean by "sporty living" because that doesn't strike me as a bad thing?
Eastern Europe, especially in the smaller cities, is VERY different from the US or even western Europe. It's not all bad, by any stretch, but it is very different in terms of daily living and what's considered normal (regular loss of utilities, very little police, very poor transportation infrastructure (but widely accessible internet and cell phones) for example, and there's plenty more). It's a strange crossroads between modern Europe and the third world, in some ways. I haven't been to Romania, but I've been told it's pretty similar to the parts of Ukraine where I did spend some time.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Eastern Europe, especially in the smaller cities, is VERY different from the US or even western Europe. It's not all bad, by any stretch, but it is very different in terms of daily living and what's considered normal (regular loss of utilities, very little police, very poor transportation infrastructure (but widely accessible internet and cell phones) for example, and there's plenty more). It's a strange crossroads between modern Europe and the third world, in some ways. I haven't been to Romania, but I've been told it's pretty similar to the parts of Ukraine where I did spend some time.
And that is what I meant by "sporty living". Constant upheaval, undependable services, a real stretch for folks used to First World comforts. We used to use the term sporty in the financial world to characterize goals that were almost unattainable unless there was some 11th hour stroke of luck.

Romania is a country that even though a NATO member, has not quite shed its communist past. When you are in Bucharest, you are just as likely to be shown the public square where the former leader was executed (its right across from the excellent Hilton where I stayed) as you are the ornate governing palaces. Get away from those places and it's Third World territory. My hosts always wanted to conduct "meetings" in moving cars because they were certain that any other places would be wiretapped and surveilled. And this was just last year.
Last edited by TUPF on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Sporty, huh...who knew?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Interesting, TUPF. My niece had a diametrically opposed review. She took a "grand tour" of Europe in 2015, as a presentation model for Lincoln Motors, doing a series of auto shows. She visited more than 15 major cities over the course of 3½ months, from Dublin to Istanbul. She said that Budapest was, by far, her favorite city of them all (London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Florence, Berlin, Geneva, Athens, Madrid, Vienna, etc.). She said the food was the best, the architecture the most interesting, and the people the most friendly there.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:Interesting, TUPF. My niece had a diametrically opposed review. She took a "grand tour" of Europe in 2015, as a presentation model for Lincoln Motors, doing a series of auto shows. She visited more than 15 major cities over the course of 3½ months, from Dublin to Istanbul. She said that Budapest was, by far, her favorite city of them all (London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Florence, Berlin, Geneva, Athens, Madrid, Vienna, etc.). She said the food was the best, the architecture the most interesting, and the people the most friendly there.
Interestingly, I have no doubt in what your niece experienced. She probably stayed in the nice areas, and given her job, mingled with and experienced a first rate experience. My stay in the Hilton, across from where what's his name was executed, was sublime. If you've only seen that part of Bucharest, it's wonderful. But move to the areas where Ms. Vorpahl is sure to venture and it's a whole different story. Auto shows are by there very nature catered to the class of folks who could afford them--by self selection, that's a top 1% only group in a lot of places.

It reminded me of a few visits I made to Lima, Peru: glorious government buildings and a beautiful hotel area, but a five minute walk away there were open sewers flowing in the streets.
Last edited by TUPF on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Sorry, meant to write Bucharest, which I've spent time in, not Budapest, where I have never been. Too many adult beverages on a hot summer day! Roller, I am told the same about Budapest that your niece experienced. Not so much about Bucharest, Romania.