Tulane Draft chances 2017

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Tulane Draft chances 2017

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The draft starts Thursday so it's time for the 2017 version of this post. After two straight years with players taken in the draft, 2016 saw no Green Wave players selected. Despite no selections, several undrafted Tulane players got looks in the NFL including Rob Kelley and Arturo Uzdavinis. As of today ESPN lists 11 Tulane players in the NFL.

This year Tulane's draft hopes rest squarely on the broad shoulders of Tanzel Smart. As the only Tulane player ranked in the top 1000 (by CBS sports), Smart is listed as a projected 4th-5th round pick. Here's how our prospects look:

Tanzel Smart - 16th ranked DT, projected 4th-5th round

Along with Tanzel, several other guys like Nico Marley and Lazedrick Thompson are hoping to either be drafted or picked up as free agents. For those in the know, are there any other guys that have a good chance to be signed as free agents?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: Tulane Draft chances 2017

Post by Rotorooter »

Outlaw, I have to believe Thompson is going to make a roster. He was a beast so many times between the tackles. I also think he is a better RB than Rob Kelley. Rounds has a very outside chance. Marley could be a special teams player but too much of a tweener to be anything else.
Plan your work, work your plan.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Hope Josh Rounds gets a shot with someone .
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote:Outlaw, I have to believe Thompson is going to make a roster. He was a beast so many times between the tackles. I also think he is a better RB than Rob Kelley. Rounds has a very outside chance. Marley could be a special teams player but too much of a tweener to be anything else.
I think the difference between Thompson and Kelley is special teams.. I don't think Lazedrick played special teams in four years... Rob was the up back on the punt team his senior season and therefore played on punt coverage... a lot of undrafted guys have to make teams as special teamers.. Thompson doesn't have the experience and thus has to make it as a RB. He has an outside shot at practice squad if he has a phenomenal preseason.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Post by beantownwave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Outlaw, I have to believe Thompson is going to make a roster. He was a beast so many times between the tackles. I also think he is a better RB than Rob Kelley. Rounds has a very outside chance. Marley could be a special teams player but too much of a tweener to be anything else.
I think the difference between Thompson and Kelley is special teams.. I don't think Lazedrick played special teams in four years... Rob was the up back on the punt team his senior season and therefore played on punt coverage... a lot of undrafted guys have to make teams as special teamers.. Thompson doesn't have the experience and thus has to make it as a RB. He has an outside shot at practice squad if he has a phenomenal preseason.
I don't think that limits Thompson to making it solely as a RB. How many guys that play special teams in the NFL played special teams in college? Some have experience but I would venture a guess that a majority do not. Thompson is a strong, athletic guy. I think he would have no issue playing special teams.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

I think Lazedrick has been a terrific Tulanian! And has made valuable contributions to our football team. But remember he was injured in high school and several times in college. I my opinion, he runs "too tall" to take the beating in the NFL. He wants to pursue a professional career, I wish him the best, but would not recommend it.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

CT Wave wrote:
I think Lazedrick has been a terrific Tulanian! And has made valuable contributions to our football team. But remember he was injured in high school and several times in college. I my opinion, he runs "too tall" to take the beating in the NFL. He wants to pursue a professional career, I wish him the best, but would not recommend it.
I heard Bill Polian on the radio last night describe Fournette as an "erect runner"...sounds uncomfortable, but what do I know?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

As posted elsewhere, Tanzel to the Rams in the 6th
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Post by beantownwave »

Josh Rounds to Chicago
Nico Marley to Washington
Lazedrick Thompson to Arizona
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

beantownwave wrote:Josh Rounds to Chicago
It Thompson stays healthy I think he at least makes the practice squad. More concerned for Rounds. Even more concerned for Marley.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:
It Thompson stays healthy I think he at least makes the practice squad. More concerned for Rounds. Even more concerned for Marley.
Seeing as the asshats did the Mitch debacle, drafted a safety that just broke his leg, an FCS player, and two DII players and that's it, I like Round's chances to make it to game three or four.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote:
If Marley makes it it'll be on special teams.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Post by SomeBiz »

Nico Marley impresses Redskins in minicamp, signed to contract:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... 875ee829f6
Tulane class of '79
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

thanks for finding that, hope he finds a niche somewhere on that team.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.