Segedin a Dodger

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
LB_Watcher
President's Circle

Re: Segedin a Dodger

Unread post by LB_Watcher »

I am a Dodgers fan. Have been all my life. I follow Tulane football because my oldest son played for the Green Wave from Katrina year to 2009. He graduated in 2010. I still follow Green Wave football. This same son works as the assistant strength and conditioning coach at Southern University since last year after working as an intern for Tulane's strength staff and in Tulane's athletics video department. I have free tickets in Yulman for the game on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the game and the Human Jukebox.

I am a serious Dodger fan. I subscribe to MLb.TV and watch the Dodgers almost every night. Game tonight starts in 5 minutes. Vin Scully. Wow.

Here is a 2-part video of Seggy on the day described in this post. You gotta watch it. It is very cool. Seggy allowed media to barge right in on his life and it seems as though he loved it.

Enjoy.

http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/topic/801046 ... 1/?c_id=la
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

LB_Watcher wrote:I am a Dodgers fan. Have been all my life. I follow Tulane football because my oldest son played for the Green Wave from Katrina year to 2009. He graduated in 2010. I still follow Green Wave football. This same son works as the assistant strength and conditioning coach at Southern University since last year after working as an intern for Tulane's strength staff and in Tulane's athletics video department. I have free tickets in Yulman for the game on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the game and the Human Jukebox.

I am a serious Dodger fan. I subscribe to MLb.TV and watch the Dodgers almost every night. Game tonight starts in 5 minutes. Vin Scully. Wow.

Here is a 2-part video of Seggy on the day described in this post. You gotta watch it. It is very cool. Seggy allowed media to barge right in on his life and it seems as though he loved it.

Enjoy.

http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/topic/801046 ... 1/?c_id=la
Thank you for the link; very cool.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Not on the Dodgers ALDS roster. If LAD advances (and I guess someone gets hurt?), he could be added later.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Pinning on the Josh Zeid thread, Segedin is listed on the roster for Team Italy in the WBC. They begin pool play on Thursday against Mexico.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

LawGreenie wrote:Pinning on the Josh Zeid thread, Segedin is listed on the roster for Team Italy in the WBC. They begin pool play on Thursday against Mexico.
Segedin hit a homer today and Italy beat the Cubs. I'm less surprised that Segedin is Italian than that the Cubbies did a very Cubbie thing in losing to a team of fake Italians who've been together for a week in a practice game. World Series win is fading fast.......
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Baywave1 wrote:I'm less surprised that Segedin is Italian than that the Cubbies did a very Cubbie thing in losing to a team of fake Italians who've been together for a week in a practice game. World Series win is fading fast.......

Is he fake Italian? Do we know that? Segedin is a a former student of mine, and I used to sit near his Dad at baseball games, so yes I know he's a Jersey boy. But if one of his parents is an Italian citizen they could have registered him for a passport at birth and he'd be just as Italian as any expat's kid raised in Paris is American.....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wbc has a rule like as long as one of your grandparents (maybe great grandparent) is from the country, you can play for them.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote:Wbc has a rule like as long as one of your grandparents (maybe great grandparent) is from the country, you can play for them.
Gotcha. So you don't have to be a citizen. Basically they are picking two generations because that means that's the line at which, for most western countries, you can go back and get citizenship if you want it. It's much easier if its your parent, and its impossible (usually) if its your great grandparent. So that's how they are arriving at that. Still, by not making you actually do (or have) the paperwork to get citizenship, they are allowing a lot of people who may not have much cultural relationship to their "nation' to then, in fact, play for that nation.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Wbc has a rule like as long as one of your grandparents (maybe great grandparent) is from the country, you can play for them.
Gotcha. So you don't have to be a citizen. Basically they are picking two generations because that means that's the line at which, for most western countries, you can go back and get citizenship if you want it. It's much easier if its your parent, and its impossible (usually) if its your great grandparent. So that's how they are arriving at that. Still, by not making you actually do (or have) the paperwork to get citizenship, they are allowing a lot of people who may not have much cultural relationship to their "nation' to then, in fact, play for that nation.
Yeah, technically it's if you could qualify to be a citizen. As you said, most places that's grandparents. And the idea is to grow the sport globally, so they make it easy to qualify.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Yeah, technically it's if you could qualify to be a citizen. As you said, most places that's grandparents. And the idea is to grow the sport globally, so they make it easy to qualify.
Come on fellows. As noted MLB is trying to grow the sport globally so lets just say they are making interesting genealogy and geographic decisions. Is it that long since the part-time ice skaters from The Netherlands laid the wood on Cuba?

The Israeli team actually has a player from Israel. Regardless it's leading Pool A and is well positioned to advance to Second Round. Who'd of thunk that??

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... j5BpRLI.97

I love baseball. I wish it were a global sport. It's not. I wish USA had a truly representative team like the Olympics basketball team. Meanwhile Eric Gagne, yes that Eric Gagne, who last pitched in MLB in 2008 is pitching for Canada. I guess Satchel Paige was not available for USA. So I'm viewing this with wry detachment.

BTW Italy takes on the A's tomorrow. I hope Segedin hits two tomorrow. I'm rooting for him to return to the majors.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Bruce Chen pitched last night for China. Even though in previous WBC's, he has pitched for Panama. I think they are a little loose with the rules on nationality.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

LawGreenie wrote:Bruce Chen pitched last night for China. Even though in previous WBC's, he has pitched for Panama. I think they are a little loose with the rules on nationality.
His parents are Chinese, so he could get a citizenship there. Interesting note that you could qualify via marriage as well
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Italy is one of those very interesting countries regarding citizenship. I know this because my best buddy from Tulane, whom I served with on my first submarine, recently went through some hoops to establish Italian citizenship just so he could have EU access and because of the family ties. His father was born in Italy but emigrated as a child. My buddy had to provide lineage, points of contact back in Sardinia, and then go through a series of interviews at the Italian embassy in Chicago. The process takes a long time (think Italian time) but is doable.

I'm sure they accelerate the process when it is in the country's best interest. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:Italy is one of those very interesting countries regarding citizenship. I know this because my best buddy from Tulane, whom I served with on my first submarine, recently went through some hoops to establish Italian citizenship just so he could have EU access and because of the family ties. His father was born in Italy but emigrated as a child. My buddy had to provide lineage, points of contact back in Sardinia, and then go through a series of interviews at the Italian embassy in Chicago. The process takes a long time (think Italian time) but is doable.

I'm sure they accelerate the process when it is in the country's best interest. 8)
I'm sure they do/would. The players don't actually have to even apply for citizenship though. They just need to meet the requirements to potentially become citizens
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Segedin hits another homer as Italy beats Mexico with a ninth inning rally. Go Rob!!