Rich Rodriguez

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
waverider
Cornerstone

Rich Rodriguez

Unread post by waverider »

Will be head coach at Jacksonville State as they transition to FBS joining CUSA next year.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Rich Rodriguez

Unread post by ml wave »

Fun fact...Jacksonville State: not in Jacksonville (also not a State).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am Fun fact...Jacksonville State: not in Jacksonville (also not a State).
It certainly looks like it's in Jacksonville, just not the one you'd think.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am Fun fact...Jacksonville State: not in Jacksonville (also not a State).
Funny, it never occurred to me that people would think it was in Florida... But then again, I lived in Alabama so I guess I just knew.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 am
It certainly looks like it's in Jacksonville, just not the one you'd think.
Argh, shoulda clarified!
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

Oh, what might have been . . . .
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

I know what you're saying, Luvs, but in truth we never really know what might have been. I too wanted Coach Rod as our head man, but who knows how that would have turned out?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

It would have turned out a heck of a lot better than it did.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

It's OK to be oblivious to possibilities. But I can imagine worse outcomes than what we had. I will bet you can too if you try.

No need to keep this going.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

The odds of Tulane, off of 12-0, making 0 bowls in the next 8 seasons under RR, who has since proven to be a capable head coach, are ridiculously low.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

GSx wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:26 pm The odds of Tulane, off of 12-0, making 0 bowls in the next 8 seasons under RR, who has since proven to be a capable head coach, are ridiculously low.
Oh like the 2002 Hawaii Bowl just didn't happen?! JP Losman is rolling over in his grave!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

He still would have had to deal with Cowen who was working to destroy athletics in the name of saving athletics.

Come to think of it, since Cowen is the reason he wasn't hired that's proof right there he would have done good things.
Victory is never permanent
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:43 pm
GSx wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:26 pm The odds of Tulane, off of 12-0, making 0 bowls in the next 8 seasons under RR, who has since proven to be a capable head coach, are ridiculously low.
Oh like the 2002 Hawaii Bowl just didn't happen?! JP Losman is rolling over in his grave!
The proposition was that we could have done worse; the only way to have done worse was to make 0 bowls.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

I actually don't want to keep this going, but if you really think that the only way we could have done worse was to have 0 bowls, then ...
Bob Knight
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

OGSB wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:55 am He still would have had to deal with Cowen who was working to destroy athletics in the name of saving athletics.

Come to think of it, since Cowen is the reason he wasn't hired that's proof right there he would have done good things.
If Rod had continued the momentum from '98, then there's a world in which the '03 review would have never happened. Though I think that world would have also required another good hire ~'00/01.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

ml wave wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:16 am
OGSB wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:55 am He still would have had to deal with Cowen who was working to destroy athletics in the name of saving athletics.

If Rod had continued the momentum from '98, then there's a world in which the '03 review would have never happened. Though I think that world would have also required another good hire ~'00/01.
Maybe. Cowen could’ve taken a victory lap in 2003 though. Instead he initiated the review.
Victory is never permanent
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

The decision not to hire Rich Rod to succeed Bowden is only matched by the decision not to hire Lindy Infante to succeed Larry Smith.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

OGSB wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 am

Maybe. Cowen could’ve taken a victory lap in 2003 though. Instead he initiated the review.
Since when did Cowen need a victory to take a victory lap?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:42 pm
OGSB wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 am

Since when did Cowen need a victory to take a victory lap?
I don't think Scotty was doing too many laps of any kind
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Rich Rod accused this week’s opponent, Stephen F Austin, of spying on their practices.

https://twitter.com/congdonsation/statu ... w5pFVSYRvQ
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson