France going to Mississippi State

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: France going to Mississippi State

Unread post by NJwave »

The fault lies with Jewett and nobody else. We would take a Vanderbilt graduate transfer that could help us in a heartbeat. We wouldn't be saying that Jewett is stabbing Vandy in the back. France is a very good pitcher that will help Miss. State. He was at Tulane for 4 years and graduated. That's on Jewett if he couldn't recruit his best pitcher to stay.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

I am just wondering what graduate program MSU has that we don't? ;-)
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

winning baseball?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

visualmagic wrote:I just don't understand why we're disagreeing on the France matter. He didn't want to play here any longer, why is it not ok for AC to recruit him? Texas,LSU and Bama were after him as well. Were they all tampering in your eyes?
It's legal, he can do what wants.
I don't have to like it.

This team was mentally trained from the coaching situation. I understand it. We've seen this in other sports before, and it usually results in a tank-job because they are mentally drained and aren't particularly talented to begin with. The difference is that this team was talented and gave it a gallant fight.
I hope that somehow they can start afresh.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Unread post by CletusRelm »

I think it speaks volumes (unfortunately bad) about your existing coaching staff when u have a weekend starting pitcher who has been with TU for 4 years, and leaves to go play for another team when given the chance.

THATS NOT GOOD FOR TU! :oops:

I do wish JP the best of luck and I hope he makes to the CWS next year (hopefully we will be there too, but I wouldn't bet on it)

I may have to consider not renewing my season tickets of 21 years. (To me, it's just not fun or enjoyable any more. It used to be that TU would lose a game and it would not bother me that much because I would still enjoy myself). Last year, I very seldom enjoyed myself. :cry:
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. We had one disappointing year with a HC that wasn't "Your Guy" and you're ready to throw in the towel and bail out? Wow.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

I don't get it. I thought graduating athletes with eligibility remaining transferring to another program was more the rule than the exception. I don't understand the shock and disappointment.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

MNAlum wrote:I am just wondering what graduate program MSU has that we don't? ;-)
precisely... the graduate transfer rules aren't all that strict when it's someone going to P5 school... unless MSU has a grad program in animal husbandry that Tulane doesn't and JP wants to farm after his final year of baseball.. OK. Have at it. The SEC just relaxed their graduate transfer rules because Florida whined about their punishment for having two grad transfers fail to get degrees a couple of year ago. Pretty soon they'll have no restrictions at all and "grad transfers" won't even have to actually enroll in school in the SEC, just play the sport.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

won't even have to actually enroll in school in the SEC, just play the sport

wait, don't all of their undergrads do that now? Why should graduate students be treated any differently?

:lol:
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Unread post by CletusRelm »

That's correct Greenbacker. (BTW, who said CJ wasn't my guy, FYI I thought CJ was a very good pick at the time.)

I simply did not enjoy myself last year as much as I did in previous years.

From what I have heard from the some of the parents of the players last year, from what I've seen on this forum last year, from what I have seen from some of the coaches in the dugout, and from what I have seen with the results from last year's coaching, I am totally ticked off at the coaching staff.

LAST YEARS TEAM SHOULD HAVE MADE POST SEASON PLAY. :(

I seen a TU pitcher last year walk 3 consecutive batters, and the pitching coach had not even sent someone to the bullpen until after the 4th batter. Even when that pitcher went to the bullpen after the 4th consecutive player, the pitcher just sat on his rump (did not even loos-in up) which I assume was the pitching coaches call. I realize we didn't have much of a bullpen last year, but our pitching coach should have been able to do better than he did last year.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

well, and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you bail out after one disappointing year, and that's your decision, that's OK with me. Less baseball talk on the Forum.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

NJwave wrote:The fault lies with Jewett and nobody else. We would take a Vanderbilt graduate transfer that could help us in a heartbeat. We wouldn't be saying that Jewett is stabbing Vandy in the back. France is a very good pitcher that will help Miss. State. He was at Tulane for 4 years and graduated. That's on Jewett if he couldn't recruit his best pitcher to stay.
Yup.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

GSx wrote:
visualmagic wrote:I just don't understand why we're disagreeing on the France matter. He didn't want to play here any longer, why is it not ok for AC to recruit him? Texas,LSU and Bama were after him as well. Were they all tampering in your eyes?
It's legal, he can do what wants.
I don't have to like it.

This team was mentally trained from the coaching situation. I understand it. We've seen this in other sports before, and it usually results in a tank-job because they are mentally drained and aren't particularly talented to begin with. The difference is that this team was talented and gave it a gallant fight.
I hope that somehow they can start afresh.
You don't have to like it, but it's ridiculous to be mad at AC and act like he did something unethical
visualmagic
President's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:I don't get it. I thought graduating athletes with eligibility remaining transferring to another program was more the rule than the exception. I don't understand the shock and disappointment.
It's literally never happened with a Tulane baseball player before.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

MNAlum wrote:I am just wondering what graduate program MSU has that we don't? ;-)
Cow tipping
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

When Davis and Dylan O transferred out of basketball a lot of you'll said it was Conroys fault, which I personally don't believe, when JP moves on you'll say its Jewitts fault which I believe. How about that maybe the biggest reason all of them left is because of Tulane itself, by not having a winning culture and not playing athletics to win. Our records in all 3 mens programs proves that. rjc
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

In other words, everything that happens happens for the reason I say it happens, especially if it doesn't.

Boy is it interesting that you with your hardened & particular view of events will reach back to defend (albeit lightly) Ed Conroy, the most coddled Tulane coach in my lifetime. But who has ever said it was Conroy's fault that Osetkowski transferred? No one, that's who. Strange.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

rjc wrote:When Davis and Dylan O transferred out of basketball a lot of you'll said it was Conroys fault, which I personally don't believe, when JP moves on you'll say its Jewitts fault which I believe. How about that maybe the biggest reason all of them left is because of Tulane itself, by not having a winning culture and not playing athletics to win. Our records in all 3 mens programs proves that. rjc
Well, baseball is the one sport that inarguably does have a winning culture and plays to win so I don't think that's to blame for France's transfer.
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

ML wave, it is true that baseball has been the only sport that has had a winning tradition,but since the new recruiting rules have kicked in it has become very difficult for Tulane to recruit the type athletes it takes to win in the future. If Tulane does not come up with academic money to help the 11.7 scholarships it is not realistic that we will be able to compete much less win. If the rumor of 5 JC players were not accepted in to school are true then we are not playing to win. That could be one of the reasons that no announcement of our recruits has been presented. JP knows what next year looks like . He is willing to past up being the Friday night starter, playing for the school he grew up wanting to go to, and paying a lot of money to attend, to go play for coaches he likes and has a chance to win. rjc
visualmagic
President's Circle

rjc wrote:ML wave, it is true that baseball has been the only sport that has had a winning tradition,but since the new recruiting rules have kicked in it has become very difficult for Tulane to recruit the type athletes it takes to win in the future. If Tulane does not come up with academic money to help the 11.7 scholarships it is not realistic that we will be able to compete much less win. If the rumor of 5 JC players were not accepted in to school are true then we are not playing to win. That could be one of the reasons that no announcement of our recruits has been presented. JP knows what next year looks like . He is willing to past up being the Friday night starter, playing for the school he grew up wanting to go to, and paying a lot of money to attend, to go play for coaches he likes and has a chance to win. rjc
We won the conference last year. Not realistic to compete? That's BS.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Unread post by Wavemania »

bet JP is getting academic $$ to go to MSU
visualmagic
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:well, and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you bail out after one disappointing year, and that's your decision, that's OK with me. Less baseball talk on the Forum.
:-) Didn't know there was a rule that we couldn't post if we didn't renew our season tickets.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

It is very simple why he left....
1. Tuition
2. Piss poor recruiting by Pierce
3. Said piss poor recruiting means all new kids & no depth

Like I have said before. Team totally appeared to tune new staff out & I understand since 4th staff since they got here. They were winning but I think Coach Jewett had a lousy start since hired so late & had little recruiting & chance to mesh with AN ENTIRE NEW STAFF. He knew what he was looking at when he got here & knew recruiting was horrible. Pierce won b/c he has had the same staff for years & came in here knowing he was basically gone soon & gave no Shiz about our future. I still cannot fathom how some people think someone can just walk in & win while sacrificing THEIR CORE VALUES they are trying to instill. If the seniors felt this was BS then so be it. But Jewett has shown he wins wherever he goes & can recruit at Private schools so just give the dude a chance. Like he came here a said" YESSSS lets screw Tulane now...MMOOOHAHHAHA". Geez
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

BACONWAVE wrote:It is very simple why he left....
1. Tuition
2. Piss poor recruiting by Pierce
3. Said piss poor recruiting means all new kids & no depth

Like I have said before. Team totally appeared to tune new staff out & I understand since 4th staff since they got here. They were winning but I think Coach Jewett had a lousy start since hired so late & had little recruiting & chance to mesh with AN ENTIRE NEW STAFF. He knew what he was looking at when he got here & knew recruiting was horrible. Pierce won b/c he has had the same staff for years & came in here knowing he was basically gone soon & gave no Shiz about our future. I still cannot fathom how some people think someone can just walk in & win while sacrificing THEIR CORE VALUES they are trying to instill. If the seniors felt this was BS then so be it. But Jewett has shown he wins wherever he goes & can recruit at Private schools so just give the dude a chance. Like he came here a said" YESSSS lets screw Tulane now...MMOOOHAHHAHA". Geez
1. Since he's a graduate he'd be likely be in a One year Masters program. Tuition for that is much cheaper than undergrad. I doubt that tuition is really an issue.
2. It's been said that Pierce had trouble recruiting because a ton of scholarship money was tied up in this year's group of seniors. Tough to recruit when you have little scholarship money available.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the sacrificing core values. I just want him to win the games, don't care anything about his core values. His job is to win, so far he has not done that despite walking into a good situation.

Jewett only really won at places that won before he got there and will win after him. And he didn't do it as the head man. He won at Vandy and Arizona St.
Did they win while he was at Gonzaga? Not really.

He recruited well at one private school and the circumstances of that private school and Tulane aren't comparable.
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

As a long time fan it pains me to see where we are as a program. The ultimate judge of talent are the pros and we just went thru 40 rounds of the draft and had only 2 players pick out of 1200 players both current and future . What Tulane fan would have guessed that Andrews would be the first one picked in the 38th round. If JM had not got hurt I think he might have made the cut. What does it say about your program when your best hitter, best pitcher, and maybe the best fielding second basemen in the country are not even drafted and i'm not aware that they were picked up as free agents as of now. Alamies and Rogers were the head of this years senior class and they left last year as high draft picks. The last 2 years of recruiting appears no where close to this senior class in talent, This years recruits remains unknown but the recruiting services don't appear to give us very high marks. I hope I'm wrong , but you really have to have green colored glasses to be very hopeful for the future at this point. rjc